Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady giving out about the Men of Kenya

• 12-10-2019 5:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

So there's this minder who pops by my parents house every so often because my mom has dementia. I met her a few times before and I think I've got a hint of feminism about her. Anyway one day when I was chatting to her about her travels. She'd been to Kenya, and she started talking about how she supports the women in Kenya or something. She then went on to talk about how the men of Kenya are "useless". She seemed to realise that she was talking to a male as she said this, and she said "I don't mean that all men but blah blah". I interrupted her and said "did you go on safari?". Thankfully this steered the direction of the conversation away somewhere else.

But my question is, am I supposed to just stand there and let her say a bunch of stuff that I disagree with? Of course I can't verify with certainty that it's bullsh1t when she's saying it! The last time I was home I heard her reading something out of the paper to my mother about domestic violence and I overheard the words "because men can get aggressive with women".

It's all very well to say that the men of Kenya are useless and they may well be true, but it forces me to ask "is there any country in the world where the women are useless?" and if so, would a man get away with saying it? As soon as she said that the men are useless, I felt like saying to her "oh the women build the roads out there so do they?". What do you think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So there's this minder who pops by my parents house every so often because my mom has dementia. I met her a few times before and I think I've got a hint of feminism about her. Anyway one day when I was chatting to her about her travels. She'd been to Kenya, and she started talking about how she supports the women in Kenya or something. She then went on to talk about how the men of Kenya are "useless". She seemed to realise that she was talking to a male as she said this, and she said "I don't mean that all men...". I interrupted her and said "did you go on safari?". Thankfully this steered the direction of the conversation away somewhere else.

It's all very well to say that the men of Kenya are useless, and they may well be, but it forces me to ask "is there any country in the world where the women are useless?" and if so would a man get away with saying it? As soon as she said that the men are useless, I felt like saying "the women build the roads out there so do they?"

According to all the Adverts looking for money on TV - there are no men in Africa. Footage inevitably shows children and women with men noticeably missing.

I can only presume its some type of bizarre matriarchal society where men are banned or dont actually exist and female children are born by parthenogenesis or something. Very odd for sure ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Similarly when there is a tragedy anywhere in the world such as a boat sinking or a bomb explosion its reported as the number of fatalities including x number of women and y number of children. Like the number of men who perished is not relevant.
    Isn't all human life supposed to be sacred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Kenya believe she said that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

It’s a dig at you op.

Why should she be cleaning up when you are flopping around the house asking people to tell ye safari stories.

Go over to her house and hang a few shelves for her, you be testing her chassis out in no time. These feminist types like to be dominated by testosterone and ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The opening post sounds like it could be written by a fella I went to school with.
    He would overthink things to point of driving himself mad with frustration.
    He ruined himself with his nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

So there's this minder who pops by my parents house every so often because my mom has dementia. I met her a few times before and I think I've got a hint of feminism about her. Anyway one day when I was chatting to her about her travels. She'd been to Kenya, and she started talking about how she supports the women in Kenya or something. She then went on to talk about how the men of Kenya are "useless". She seemed to realise that she was talking to a male as she said this, and she said "I don't mean that all men but blah blah". I interrupted her and said "did you go on safari?". Thankfully this steered the direction of the conversation away somewhere else.

But my question is, am I supposed to just stand there and let her say a bunch of stuff that I disagree with? Of course I can't verify with certainty that it's bullsh1t when she's saying it! The last time I was home I heard her reading something out of the paper to my mother about domestic violence and I overheard the words "because men can get aggressive with women".

It's all very well to say that the men of Kenya are useless and they may well be true, but it forces me to ask "is there any country in the world where the women are useless?" and if so, would a man get away with saying it? As soon as she said that the men are useless, I felt like saying to her "oh the women build the roads out there so do they?". What do you think of this?

Been to West Africa, long way from Kenya but finding a responsible man, in any way there is near impossible.

If it wasn't for the women there, their societies would collapse.

It's really something to behold, mind boggling actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The man who ran the first ever marathon in less than 2 hours this morning is Kenyan.
    Suppose it depends on what your definition of useless is? It's certainly not the word I'd use to describe the feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I do know a lot of female expats who look down on the local men for not being as hardworking/taking care of the children/not being the main breadwinner so on and so forth.

Again, live and let live imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Guy Person wrote: »

nairobi can I.

OP why does this bother you so much?

Yes she's a bit of an eejit, but there plenty of them around, and I'm sure most of them don't get you worked up. So what gives?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Danzy wrote: »
    Been to West Africa, long way from Kenya but finding a responsible man, in any way there is near impossible.

If it wasn't for the women there, their societies would collapse.

It's really something to behold, mind boggling actually.

I'm curious about examples?

I know that in the Phillipines sometimes the woman to work, pay the bills, and then give the Husband a stipend to go see the mistress on the side :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The "aren't feminists stupid?" Threads have been coming think and fast recently. But this is the most creative one I've seen in a while. Fair play OP.

To answer all your questions, yes the feminists are dreadful, yes the world would have stopped if anyone ever made a sweeping statement about women. Luckily nobody has ever has made a sweeping statement about women yet.

I do know a lot of female expats who look down on the local men for not being as hardworking/taking care of the children/not being the main breadwinner so on and so forth.

Again, live and let live imo.

It's their culture we won't change it but a near pathological hatred of work or responsibility is a big problem for them.

Not all.

We tried hiring a local carpenter, paid our wage level, months work they would buy a house locally and still be set for a year.

Impossible to get a fellow to work more than half hour, off hiding, sleeping under lorries etc.

Finally got one, stuck with him, he'd do a few hours a day that was all but he stood out a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

yaboya1 wrote: »
    The man who ran the first ever marathon in less than 2 hours this morning is Kenyan.
    Suppose it depends on what your definition of useless is? It's certainly not the word I'd use to describe the feat.

He had plenty of practice of running away from housework :)

It's their culture we won't change it but a near pathological hatred of work or responsibility is a big problem for them.

Not all.

We tried hiring a local carpenter, paid our wage level, months work they would buy a house locally and still be set for a year.

Impossible to get a fellow to work more than half hour, off hiding, sleeping under lorries etc.

Finally got one, stuck with him, he'd do a few hours a day that was all but he stood out a mile.
    is drink a big problem in Kenya?

I'm curious about examples?

I know that in the Phillipines sometimes the woman to work, pay the bills, and then give the Husband a stipend to go see the mistress on the side :P

One example, house went on fire near the barracks, UN, Irish soldiers asked permission to help, off we go, out comes the man sauntering his wife behind with the fridge.

He did fook all to save his goods while we took it out, for her sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

What Uganda do about it?

is drink a big problem in Kenya?

No idea, this was West Africa.

Often saw people with drink problems here work like demons.

Cultural outlook.

What Uganda do about it?

Your Rwanda to talk about such things.

I Congo on and on about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I lived in Nanyuki in the late 90’s for a couple of years and certainly then the majority of the men folk were as good as useless. Back then their main job was making sure the women earned money or doing deals. I used to hire some of the local men as labourers and as soon as I gave them a difficult job they would go and get the women to do it.

There were some men who were decent enough, most the game wardens could work hard.

• Advertisement

No idea, this was West Africa.

Often saw people with drink problems here work like demons.

Cultural outlook.
    Oh sorry, I misread.

I only ask because it's a big issue in South Africa among the poorest black people. It gives rise to accusations of laziness or a shirker, but I think a lot of them must be very depressed.

I'm only talking now about the lack of work initiative. Obviously acting the dick and making your wife do all the heavy lifting is a different thing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You did the right thing op. You changed the conversation.
    Look she's your ma's minder. So you can't be telling her where to go. So do what you did.

If it was a random stranger yeah you can tell them to get stuffed. But you have to play the game a little.

Oh sorry, I misread.

I only ask because it's a big issue in South Africa among the poorest black people. It gives rise to accusations of laziness or a shirker, but I think a lot of them must be very depressed.

I'm only talking now about the lack of work initiative. Obviously acting the dick and making your wife do all the heavy lifting is a different thing altogether.

That man was the norm, shirking work is the norm, it's culturally inappropriate to be a hard worker, viewed as a fool even when it'll make you rich.

This wasn't down to drink or depression, the only lad with a history of that there was Danzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Sorry OP but you're African weirdo.(say it in a cockney accent)

Its all so Sudan...i can't deal with all these puns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

It's ok. Everything is Ghana be alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

BDI wrote: »
    It’s a dig at you op.

Why should she be cleaning up when you are flopping around the house asking people to tell ye safari stories.
    I asked her to tell me the safari story after she cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Sorry OP but you're African weirdo.(say it in a cockney accent)

Kenya not hack the puns ? Shouldn't be on the thread so! :D

edit: a bit late!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

I don't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You should have said, 'Sure if they where all idiots, how come one of them become President of the United States'.

I'm joking, before all the Boards leftists descend upon me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I asked her to tell me the safari story after she cleaned up.

Proper order. Don’t be giving her excuses to stop cleaning.

Advertisement