Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Foxes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

sorry for hijacking the thread but i have this fox coming into the yard between 3 and 4 am being a general nuisance i went out yesterday and last night to have a look for its run and to see was it stirring no luck, its either an all night session which i'm dreading or is there anyone around limerick that has a fox trap i can have a lend of....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hunter456 wrote: »
    sorry for hijacking the thread but i have this fox coming into the yard between 3 and 4 am being a general nuisance i went out yesterday and last night to have a look for its run and to see was it stirring no luck, its either an all night session which i'm dreading or is there anyone around limerick that has a fox trap i can have a lend of....
    Where abouts in limerick are you if you don't mind me asking, my mate and I live in limerick and go out most nights shooting fixes, we have night vision optics, and thermal imaging devices for the job if you are in an area to shoot him,

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Where abouts in limerick are you if you don't mind me asking, my mate and I live in limerick and go out most nights shooting fixes, we have night vision optics, and thermal imaging devices for the job if you are in an area to shoot him,

check your pm's

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

ZiabR wrote: »
    I am in County Louth. Would you believe, on the way to work this morning about 100 yards from my house, there was a fox just walking down the road, broad daylight, without a care in the world, just went in through a farm gate and off into a field.

Not for a minute saying that this is the fox that has killed my hens but hard to look past it. Very close to my house.

I am still going to get the traps and set them, as you said, all year round.

Normal for a fox to kill in daylight and not take any of the kills away? Seems odd no? I might take a walk around the garden later and do a little more checking. Might post up some photos of the setup and see if you guys can offer more insight.

Shoot me a PM im in monasterboice and would be happy to help out. I have a personal vendetta against foxes eating free chicken dinners!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Damoeire33 wrote: »
    Shoot me a PM im in monasterboice and would be happy to help out. I have a personal vendetta against foxes eating free chicken dinners!!

Late to the thread. Sounds like mink. Neighbor lost all his hens & ducks in the middle of the day a couple years back and saw the b*stard, though it ran off when he chased it with a pitchfork.

Friend's father keeps hens & ducks, couple miles away other side of the peninsula. Says he traps minks by the dozen each year. There's a bounty apparently. I'd say trap this one and leave the traps around for awhile as there may be more. They kill the hens and come back for them eventually. F*ckers.

A dog, even a small one, is enough to keep the minks away. Neighbor had a dog for the longest time, a little terrier mix who had the run of the yard including around the coop&duck pond. When the dog passed away, the mink showed up a week later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

well if he is coming in around same time each day be it mink,fox there is no need to start calling,sit tight in the shed an hour before the approximate time and sit tight,he seems to have habit of turning up same time every day

Another trait associated with fox's, turning up around the same time at each kill. Very clever animal. Probably no one at home at that time of day. Course you could never rule out anything else, when we have no physical evidence of what's doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A lot of foxes I’ve shot especially daytime foxes where foxes that I’ve seen at similar times. So if arrive at the spot at that same time or earlier I was guaranteed to get them. Animals of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Eddie B wrote: »

Another trait associated with fox's, turning up around the same time at each kill. Very clever animal. Probably no one at home at that time of day. Course you could never rule out anything else, when we have no physical evidence of what's doing it.

I'd be more inclined to believe that they will check a source of food everyday or especially night. If they sense danger they move on elsewhere, if they have an opportunity for an attack and a meal they will take it.

They are hugely intelligent but I wouldn't credit them with a concept of time apart from the obvious day/night and approaching dawn and dusk.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

OP Here.

Traps have been out since Friday. Nothing in them on Saturday and the baits were not touched.

However, I checked them again on Sunday morning and both traps had been tripped and the baits taken but no animals in the traps.

My thoughts are that it was likely smaller animal, like a rat that could take the bait and fit though the bars on the trap.

I set them again last night and will check them again in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Get a trail cam from someone.

• Advertisement

ZiabR wrote: »
    OP Here.

Traps have been out since Friday. Nothing in them on Saturday and the baits were not touched.

However, I checked them again on Sunday morning and both traps had been tripped and the baits taken but no animals in the traps.

My thoughts are that it was likely smaller animal, like a rat that could take the bait and fit though the bars on the trap.

I set them again last night and will check them again in the next hour.

What are you using as bait?

I'd be more inclined to believe that they will check a source of food everyday or especially night. If they sense danger they move on elsewhere, if they have an opportunity for an attack and a meal they will take it.

They are hugely intelligent but I wouldn't credit them with a concept of time apart from the obvious day/night and approaching dawn and dusk.

Yes true, but they are also creatures of habit. Saw a YouTube video recently, where a guy had a bait station set up to draw fox's in, to eventually lamp it after a number of days/nights. He set up a trail cam, and got footage of a fox visiting the station at roughly the same time each night. The night he lamped it, the fox turned up on time, and that was the last time he visited lol

Advertisement