Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Asylum Centre Torched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think they should be held in a big off shore tanker or one of the uninhabited barren islands while thier applications are being processed.

Pity the Australian Aboriginal people didn't do the same with the Irish who were dumped there.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Discodog wrote: »
    Who would I rather live next to ? An asylum seeker or a racist bigot that supports criminality ? I hope the locals won't mind when all the illegal Irish immigrants are returned to Donegal.

"racism!"

With no allusion to facts of the situation whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pity the Australian Aboriginal people didn't do the same with the Irish who were dumped there.

Couldn't really. With the big bold Brits pointing all those cannons at them.

"irish people bad" despite current reality.

"irish people bad" in historical analogy.

Its kinda difficult to address your multi-layered thoughts on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The OP is absolutely right that there are folks who just will not (cannot?) support their opposition to them, and throwing out snarky comments is the best that they can come up with.

I would love if Ireland could provide sanctuary to those from countries in Africa and the middle East and central Asia where there are horrific things going on, but Ireland needs to be set up for this, and dumping them in rural towns and villages in the west, midlands and border regions that are limited in terms of resources and infrastructure as it is, cannot end well.

I didn't vote in the poll as my view is in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

mammajamma wrote: »
    "racism!"

With no allusion to facts of the situation whatsoever.

The facts are that a criminal, possibly supported & encouraged by other criminals, decided to commit a serious & potentially lethal crime. I wouldn't want asylum seekers in Donegal because they regularly need to visit Dublin.

But I wouldn't have direct provision & I would ensure that their cases were assessed quickly whilst they are allowed to work.

I wouldn't want to live near anyone who can justify illegality to further their "cause"

The OP is absolutely right that there are folks who just will not (cannot?) Support their opposition to them, and throwing out snarky comments is the best that they can come up with.

I would love if Ireland could provide sanctuary to those from countries in Africa and the middle East and central Asia where there are horrific things going on, but Ireland needs to be set up for this, and dumping them in rural towns and villages in the west, midlands and border regions that are limited in terms of resources and infrastructure as it is, cannot end well.

I didn't vote in the poll as my view is in the middle.

The utter lack of comments addressing why this is a good idea is glaring. Blinding!

It speaks for itself: it is not a good idea!

Shur tis grand and easy to spew the r word when living in a nice area with zero social problems.

I was once that person and I can attest to how easy it was!
    God you're self loathing. And do you ever post anything constructive or is your sole reason for being on this site to rile and whatabout, even if it means leaving logic by the wayside?

Shur tis grand and easy to spew the r word when living in a nice area with zero social problems.

I was once that person and I can attest to how easy it was!

God you're self loathing. And do you ever post anything constructive or is your sole reason for being on this site to rile and whatabout, even if it means leaving logic by the wayside?

You imply that you are now living somewhere with social problems. Where ?

The facts are that a criminal, possibly supported & encouraged by other criminals, decided to commit a serious & potentially lethal crime. I wouldn't want asylum seekers in Donegal because they regularly need to visit Dublin.

But I wouldn't have direct provision & I would ensure that their cases were assessed quickly whilst they are allowed to work.

I wouldn't want to live near anyone who can justify illegality to further their "cause"

The arson thing is bad. No doubt.

Having direct provision set up in small rural communities (I say undemocratically) is also not good.

The idea of allowing people to work whilst awaiting the outcome of their asylum application is barking mad however. Just remember that these cases, when appeals are taken into account, are taking upto a decade to finalise.

So theres a lot of "if's" "but's" and "maybe's" about your comment. But the topic is talking about what is happening now, not alternative realities.

• Advertisement

mammajamma wrote: »
    The arson thing is bad. No doubt.

Having direct provision set up in small rural communities (I say undemocratically) is also not good.

The idea of allowing people to work whilst awaiting the outcome of their asylum application is barking mad however. Just remember that these cases, when appeals are taken into account, are taking upto a decade to finalise.

So theres a lot of "if's" "but's" and "maybe's" about your comment. But the topic is talking about what is happening now, not alternative realities.

So it's better to pay benefits than have them earning a living ?

Are the locals assisting the Gardai in finding the criminals ?

You imply that you are now living somewhere with social problems. Where ?
    I once was that person who found it easy to shout "racist" without considering the bigger picture.

I lived next door to one set of nightmare scummy neighbours in Phibsborough, Dublin, and numerous ones on Old Youghal Road in Cork but overall it was nothing compared to what some people have to endure.

I now live in a trouble-free area of Cork - why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

We need to do something to fix the inbreeding but can't support the people-smuggling trade either

Speaking of which, is our poxy navy back from the Mediteranean yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This has been coming a long time. Dumping more than 100 people from anywhere in a town situated in a conservative county that voted no to abortion and gay marriage is going to elicit a reaction.

Direct provision will just move some place else. It’s lucky for those people that they were not already housed in the hotel. As I understand from our media, the owner was present when the fire started. So whoever was responsible for this clearly has no compunction about endangering life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Since when is Rooskey in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This woman in Ballaghaderreen sums up my own views. However, dumping people into direct provision centres for lengthy periods of time doesn't seem very humane, especially in crap towns that lack the infrastructure for the populations they already have.
    The reason people are in direct provision for lengths of time greater than 18 months is that their case had been rejected in the first instance and they are appealing.

The appeals system is what needs reform

So it's better to pay benefits than have them earning a living ?

Are the locals assisting the Gardai in finding the criminals ?

Just think about this for a second. Imagine that you think the united states is great, as an economic migrant, vastly superior to Ireland in every way.

You hear from friends/family (or otherwise) that if you land in the united states under the pretence that you are a refugee you will be allowed work for a few years (say) without any need for visas or anything of the sort. Bear in mind, the criteria for refugee is "we'll find out later".

Now, try and sell that idea to an American, see how well it comes across in terms of "good idea/bad idea"

In general, its all a terrible idea, social welfare/work permits/whatever for people who can just swan in (and bear in mind, again, that very many of these people are as much refugees as they are pineapples)

As for the other thing, let me just ask that small town whether they are aiding Gardaí, I'll be right back.

tupenny wrote: »
    Since when is Rooskey in Sligo

Since I made a mistake :P We'll all get used to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

And a quote form an activist "this is hugely positive for the town and the cultural diversity will be amazing." Also " if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through"

Well, I'd like to think I'd have an open mind on the subject. But when you read comments are per above then one can't help but get the feeling even the ppl who are advocating it don't believe in it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The only problem with DP is that the turnaround isn't quick enough.
    It should be case heard, deport or grant. Next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

This migrant crisis is mostly economic - refugees of war (many didn't get the chance to leave or the help they needed) would be welcomed by the majority imo. I don't agree with bringing these people to small rural places who expects this to end well?

Best outcome the economic migrants settle into the community and like all young people in a small rural outpost will move to Dublin when they can.

Worst outcome the expected benefits of multiculturalism doesn't transpire and the community becomes fractured.

The real problem is that rural Ireland - and this is particularly in relation to places like Roosky (not in Sligo op?) - has been left behind. The services don't exist. People who want more prosperity and modernity leave - the irony is people from the West of Ireland are economic migrants themselves - people who love the country, love the quiet life - stay. These migrants have the potential to change rural towns irrevocably - whether for the better or not - well I'd vote no OP because I believe ultimately it won't be a positive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I put 'DP' into Google. My god, it means more than Direct Provision :eek:

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I put 'DP' into Google. My god, it means more than Direct Provision :eek:
    I know... data protection is a minefield isn't it?... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This will give ppl ideas in other towns/villages where these centres are.

Not good. Could easily have been loss of life last night. Would be even more risky if the place was full with ppl :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The only problem with DP is that the turnaround isn't quick enough.
    It should be case heard, deport or grant. Next.

Whereas in reality it is

1 Case heard

2 Decision

3 Asylum seeker doesn’t like the decision so gets solicitors etc involved and takes various appeals and legal challenges.

4 Drags on interminably for years

5 sympathy card played in hope they get some sort of amnesty.

To be honest, it really looks like direct provision is on its last legs anyway. The left hate the system and those that are populist/right don't want the centers near them. With this kind of universal opposition, it will almost certainly be done away with in a year or two.

One thing about direct provision is that people forget is that as a policy it was and remains very successful. It's main goal was to essentially end bogus asylum seeker cases which boomed here during the early 2000's. The Irish system at the time was set up in a way that was generous since it was always emigration that was the issue here as well as Ireland being surrounded by stable wealthy countries. Up to that point, the only refugees that were ever thought likely to come to Ireland in numbers were Northern nationalists. It still amazes me that so many overfly and even transit so many wealthy western countries to seek asylum here, as the first safe country.

However once central African people smugglers identified the weakness in the system here, they swamped it with people, not refugees but economic migrants. This went on for a few years where we had over 10000 people seeking refuge here in one year. To end this, the direct provision system was created, all refugees would get food and shelter in accordance with international obligations but the system would be so overbearing that economic migrants would choose somewhere else to go. Numbers seeking asylum here plummeted overnight after the introduction of the policy. This reflected the reality that the overwhelming majority of asylum seekers were bogus. Even with the current punitive system, I believe that about 1 in 10 cases are deemed genuine, but those applying are in the hundreds, not thousands.

In the current system it is important to note that everyone gets their case heard within 18 months and as I said above, anyone in the system longer is pursuing an appeal.

As I understand, very many of these drawn out appeals are unsuccessful in the end, but so much time has elapsed that these people are generally granted indefinite leave to remain anyway, due to things like community ties and children in education.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

gctest50 wrote: »
    We need to do something to fix the inbreeding but can't support the people-smuggling trade either

what "inbreeding" would this be?
    gctest50 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, is our poxy navy back from the Mediteranean yet ?

in what way are our navy who are doing a fantastic job and putting their lives on the line "poxy" exactly?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The North of the Nigeria yes. The South of Nigeria is as safe as it gets for Nigerian standards.

A wee bit in the mould of Ireland c.1971......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

what "inbreeding" would this be?

in what way are our navy who are doing a fantastic job and putting their lives on the line "poxy" exactly?

They are hardly putting their lives on the line when they are essentially running a shuttle service between north Africa and Continent Europe, doing the work of the people smugglers.

The Mediterranean European countries don't want our "help".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Itsly have sorted out the migrant taxi service they dont want, they closed the Italian ports and paid Libya to take the waifs and strays,all the migrants sre strong healthy young men, they probably leave hard work to the women in the countries they have left. None of these men are of use to any country, bone lazy and coming to Europe to live on handouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement