Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GRO Records

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Deaths before 1891 and marriages before 1888 are not up yet. Basically, anything with a GRID reference should have an image. The GRO will get the rest done when they can.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Has anyone else noticed the changes in causes of death? Before 1900 the majority of my family all died well before 60 mainly of heart and lung diseases. Now in the 20th century I can see people living longer, but cancer is now entering the scene on my tree for the first time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the changes in causes of death? Before 1900 the majority of my family all died well before 60 mainly of heart and lung diseases. Now in the 20th century I can see people living longer, but cancer is now entering the scene on my tree for the first time. :(

The biggest change is in the ages.

A century ago some people lived into their eighties and beyond, but the biggest group were those who died aged 0, mostly in the first few weeks. Infantile mortality is virtually a thing of the past.

More children died aged six or seven, from illnesses such as measles or rubella, now generally prevented by immunisation.

Late teens and early adulthood saw large numbers dying of TB and also acute infections, which could kill at any age, now cured by antibiotics.

Also deaths from cardiac and pulmonary complaints, occur later, because there are now better medications available.

One thing I noticed in a lot of people connected with my ancestors was nephritis / kidney failure. These would now be treated with meds and potentially dialysis or transplant.

Another change in certificates is that of terminology; pthisis became consumption then tuberculosis. In our own lifetimes, coronary thrombosis has become myocardial infarction and many more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cancer was rarely diagnosed in the past, with something else cited as the cause, particularly in old age.

We're going to get the 6/7 year olds dying of vaccinatable illnesses back if the fact-denying nutjobs continue to grow in number, though.

L1011 wrote: »
    Cancer was rarely diagnosed in the past, with something else cited as the cause, particularly in old age.

We're going to get the 6/7 year olds dying of vaccinatable illnesses back if the fact-denying nutjobs continue to grow in number, though.

I was astonished one time on a death cert, one of those bought in the hope that it was of a relative with a common name, reading "cause of death: cancer, no medical attendant".
    If the person had not been attended by a doctor, who made the diagnosis?

Also many causes given on death certs were massaged to cover up an embarrassing or stigmatised cause.
    One of my female ancestors was certified as dying of Sp anaemia, this must be Splenic anaemia, which basically is associated with cirrhosis. It is easy to imagine my gg grandfather asking the doctor, "Is there any way we can avoid putting that on the death cert."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

tabbey wrote:
    I was astonished one time on a death cert, one of those bought in the hope that it was of a relative with a common name, reading "cause of death: cancer, no medical attendant". If the person had not been attended by a doctor, who made the diagnosis?

I think that means there was no medical attendant at the time of death. Not that there had not been a medical diagnosis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

L1011 wrote: »

Sadly that continues to happen. This young lad did not make it.

I'm looking forward for some death records research to be done by age cohort on the diseases named in the GRO records - it would provide some really fascinating social history.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If we want to put together a coherent and succinct list of issues, I'd be happy to pass it on directly to him.

If I could change just one thing on that website it would be the infernal sign in/ captcha procedure. I don't mind signing in to use any website but having done so I see no reason to have to do it again and again, especially mid-session.
    I will gladly provide name, address, date of birth and anything else if it means I don't have to be told again and again that I'm not a robot!:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

I'm looking up the death records for those who were executed in the 1916 Rising and I can find the 10 who were registered in 2000 at these links: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/020453/7178614 and https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/020453/7178615 . And I can find the contemporary registrations for Seán Hueston and Michael Mallin at this link: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/05245/4453541 . But when I search for Thomas MacDonagh and James Connolly, I find them listed on Irishgenealogy.ie but there is no link to an image of their death registrations. Does anyone know if their is a particular reason for the absence of their records or is it just a glitch on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Alan259 wrote: »
    I'm looking up the death records for those who were executed in the 1916 Rising and I can find the 10 who were registered in 2000 at these links: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/020453/7178614 and https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/020453/7178615 . And I can find the contemporary registrations for Seán Hueston and Michael Mallin at this link: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/05245/4453541 . But when I search for Thomas MacDonagh and James Connolly, I find them listed on Irishgenealogy.ie but there is no link to an image of their death registrations. Does anyone know if their is a particular reason for the absence of their records or is it just a glitch on the site?

Just noticed that James Connolly's registration is on the same page as Heston's and Mallin's. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Alan259 wrote: »
    I'm looking up the death records for those who were executed in the 1916 Rising

Thanks for mentioning this, and putting up the links. I've been so busy looking up my own people that I didn't think to search for historical figures. For anyone who someone didn't know the background, I'm sure they'd find it strange to see poets, sculptors, headmasters etc dying of 'probable gunshot wounds' (which in itself reads very strangely).

There was also the 'Great Flu Epidemic' of 1918/19. Over 20,000 died in Ireland. I haven't found any in my own records yet but I am definitely seeing a few here and there in 1918.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tralee Chess Player

I've just found two of my gran aunts after a long search. I was hoping they'd gone to America but sadly they dried in 1905 aged 7 and 15.
    Today I'm just sad for my great grand mother who had to bury them both within two months of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Was interested to read about the 1916 executions etc -- am trying to find a record for someone executed in the Civil War -- can find most of the people executed at the same time and in the same place (Beggars Bush Barracks) but no sign of him at all. Is it possible his death was never actually registered? Or just that some registers have been lost etc?

Mistranscription is most likely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

On birth records I've come across a few with 'C.E.' for profession of father. Anyone know what this stands for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I can't seem to find a civil cert for a marriage that I have the parish record for...

Between Thomas Hyland and Bridget Brennan, married 1st June 1890 in Kingstown.

Here's the link to the parish record.

Any ideas why I can't find a civil cert for it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

On birth records I've come across a few with 'C.E.' for profession of father. Anyone know what this stands for?

I've seen "Corporation Employee" on two certs before if that's any use?

Civil Engineer.

Alicat wrote: »
    I've seen "Corporation Employee" on two certs before if that's any use?
    tabbey wrote: »
    Civil Engineer.

Thank you both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Possibly Civil Employee, an early description of the later Civil Servant. It covered all Govt. staff from manual labourers to management.
    My source could be wrong though!!!

:mad::mad::mad:
    Alicat wrote: »
    I can't seem to find a civil cert for a marriage that I have the parish record for...

Between Thomas Hyland and Bridget Brennan, married 1st June 1890 in Kingstown.

Here's the link to the parish record.

Any ideas why I can't find a civil cert for it? :confused:

This couple were married in Kingstown, in the SRD of Rathdown, and should have been registered there.

They were resident in York Street, off St Stephen's Green, and their parents also lived in the city, at Gardiner St & Denzille St (now Fenian St).
    It is possible that the priest thought that they should have been registered in Dublin South and that someone else would do this. Since they had a dispensation to marry away from their home parish, Fr Byrne may have felt the clergy in St Andrews< Westland Row would do it

Hence it is possible that civil registration fell by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

C.E. is more likely to be Chartered Engineer than Civil Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Has anyone any inkling, maybe heard on the grapevine, when the rest of the records will appear? The deaths before 1891, and marriages pre '82?

Frustratingly for me those are the years that most interest me. An ETA of some kind would let me plan ahead somewhat.

I asked at the launch and there was no definitive answer: just whenever the GRO got time to scan them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote:
    I asked at the launch and there was no definitive answer: just whenever the GRO got time to scan them.

Without wanting to appear cynical that's what I figured. Will just have to concentrate on other avenues; plenty to be getting on with while I wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

And hopefully they look into fixing those records with GRiD, but no image. One of my relatives seem to be only death 1898 in Dundalk that has no image. The GRID is also very different from any other of the 600 something death that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

have you found the old style references, volume & page number, for this e.g. on FamilySearch ?
    I can sometimes work out the correct image link based on other deaths in the same district

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Oh yes. Found record on a previous page via familysearch and then the entry I was after. Thanks again for the suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

this can also work for records which do not show up on a search on the GRO/IrishGenealogy website, but do show on the FamilySearch indexes

Advertisement