Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things That Trivially Annoy You.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Had an appointment in the wound clinic for 8am to get my stitches out. Arrived at ten to and it's one of those stupid take-a-number systems and I'm 16. What in God's name is the point of giving you an appointment???

It's to stagger the crowds. If everyone for the day arrived at 8am you might have gotten ticket 34523652345 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

When a judge directs a jury to return a 'Not guilty' verdict. What's the point in having a jury when the judge is going to overrule them? :confused: It'd be very interesting if the jury decided to ignore the judge and return a guilty verdict anyway, especially after having deliberated for hours and probably having had to take time off work with resulting financial loss etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Count Down wrote: »
    When a judge directs a jury to return a 'Not guilty' verdict. What's the point in having a jury when the judge is going to overrule them? :confused: It'd be very interesting if the jury decided to ignore the judge and return a guilty verdict anyway, especially after having deliberated for hours and probably having had to take time off work with resulting financial loss etc. :rolleyes:

Isn't there some law that says a company is obliged to release their staff for jury duty and also pay them? Or the court pays the company who pay the staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Isn't there some law that says a company is obliged to release their staff for jury duty and also pay them? Or the court pays the company who pay the staff?

And something I only learned after I was callled to jury , you can claim a daily allowance for attending on your house insurance !

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Went for my first run in a few weeks after battling a flu, sinus infection and pulled muscles in my neck (from blowing my nose). Just a handy 30 minutes is what I said to myself. Take it easy I said to myself.
    I ran a personal best.......the TA is the agony that I am in today. and I'm starving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And something I only learned after I was callled to jury , you can claim a daily allowance for attending on your house insurance !

And the wasters who dodge jury service with all sorts of excuses. Even the fines for non attendance aren't a deterrent for most people. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Count Down wrote: »
    And the wasters who dodge jury service with all sorts of excuses. Even the fines for non attendance aren't a deterrent for most people. :(

I'm far from being a waster but there is no way I'd ever want to serve on a jury, especially if it was a serious case. I'm not sure I'd ever be able to be 100% sure I'd make the correct decision, and I think it would all boil down to which solicitor was best able to sway me.

I'm also pretty certain I'd not be able to prevent lapses in my concentration if the case was boring or highly technical.

I realise it's an important civic responsibility, and I realise that a trial by jury is probably the fairest way to decide a case, but I honestly think that if I could get out of serving on a jury I'd be happy to dodge it by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

LSS after complaining in the run up and over christmas boysib doesn't see a Dr/psyio and is forced to see one who he thinks cant to the job properly during the christmas holidays, refuses to take the panadol or ibuprofen as they effect him, and on it goes as he cant sleep with the pain. Freaking H*&l take the panadol .
    This is the sib who thinks shops dont sell tin foil because of the connection to drug taking

* for anyone who thinks this is harsh, imagine having to live with this kind of thing 24/7/365.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m looking after my sister’s baby today while she’s upstairs incapacitated with the flu. Thought I was being paranoid but I haven’t felt right since I walked in the door. Dizzy spells and the sweats. Not sure if it’s the thoughts of having a child one day that has me breaking into a cold sweat or if I’m coming down with what she has.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I hate it when the picture on the packet of biscuits is deceiving. I also hate it that some cookies in the shops are between €1.50 and €2.50, and at the airport the very same packet is at least €6. Chancers!

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    I hate it when the picture on the packet of biscuits is deceiving. I also hate it that some cookies in the shops are between €1.50 and €2.50, and at the airport the very same packet is at least €6. Chancers!

I was picking up a packet of biscuits the other night in Centra. I'm a sucker for the Centra brand chocolate digestives. I picked up a pack, went to the til and paid and realised I'd actually gotten a pack of chocolate hob nobs.
    Similar deceptive packaging!

Still ate them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Chocolate hobnobs are far, far superior to chocolate digestives.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What I meant was that the picture made them look waaaaay bigger than they are in actual fact, or made them look like they're full of chocolate chips when they really aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Chocolate hobnobs are far, far superior to chocolate digestives.

Super Value own brand chocolate biscuits for the win! And only 50c

Super Value own brand chocolate biscuits for the win! And only 50c
    Must try them.

The Lidl Hob Nob pretenders, whatever they are called, are a good biscuit. Break them up and put them in mint choc ice cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Mcvities chocolate digestives have a way nicer biscuit imo but to clarify, all the biscuits are good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I wanted 3 scrambled eggs and toast but there was only 1 egg left. Made a fried egg sandwich and still hungry :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mcvities chocolate digestives have a way nicer biscuit imo but to clarify, all the biscuits are good!

Mcvities or nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Breakfast fry in work being mostly cold.
    Plus no pudding. Is it even a fry without pudding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I feel conflicted. Half of me wants to bawl my eyes out and half of me thinks my colleague is such a horrible b*tch.
    I'm 40 as many of you know this weekend. It's not so much the birthday but the fact that I haven’t planned anything as I don’t emotionally feel up for it. I’m not involved with 50% of my family and as I’ve never been engaged, married, had a baby etc. etc., being a milestone BD I suppose there’s a certain sadness of not celebrating in some way, shape or form.
    Then, the horrible girl I work with received the most enormous boquet of flowers from a boy. Normally I wouldn’t begrudge anyone. Yes I’d be jealous but also I’d be genuinely happy for them. With this girl though, she’s been so horrible to me since I started I can’t feel that for her. And I feel selfish because I feel it’s me who should be made a fuss of today.
    I don’t know why I wrote this down but I guess it helps to get it down. Once 4pm comes and I’m in the car the tears are sure to arrive.

Sorry for the self-pity post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Breakfast fry in work being mostly cold.
    Plus no pudding. Is it even a fry without pudding?

a fry without pudding is an abomination before god.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

northgirl wrote: »
    Then, the horrible girl I work with received the most enormous boquet of flowers from a boy.

Happy birthday :) If I knew where you lived I’d send you an even bigger boquet of flowers (I know I’m not a boy but it’s the thought that counts and all that :pac:)

e6edb9036abf089986a290cb664dd58f.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Goodigal

Might have been mentioned before on here, but people who get on the bus with a big backpack/schoolbag, sit down beside you, and then try to extricate themselves from it. Invariably means a dig in the head or ribs!
    Take it off before you sit down, you numpty!!

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Happy birthday :) If I knew where you lived I’d send you an even bigger boquet of flowers (I know I’m not a boy but it’s the thought that counts and all that :pac:)
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    e6edb9036abf089986a290cb664dd58f.gif

Thanks so much :) xxxxx

Thanks so much :) xxxxx

sure what are fancy flowers without chocolates!

56abb90e51eda_56abb7d360647_1203141672.jpg

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    sure what are fancy flowers without chocolates!

56abb90e51eda_56abb7d360647_1203141672.jpg

Ah but now you are really spoiling me! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Then, the horrible girl I work with received the most enormous boquet of flowers from a boy. .

Ptch They were probably stolen from someones garden!

*hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Ah but now you are really spoiling me! :pac:
    CM3FJAfWgAA6MML.jpg

Spoilt rotten you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Happy Birthday northgirl xx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement