Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Update: Avant funds issued. The process started in mid-January, so it took over four months in total. I almost gave up a number of times. It was incredibly frustrating, and so much harder than previous switches. I would recommend people considering it to go in with their eyes wide open and prepare for a long, painful experience.

Question: I have made 5 mortgage repayments since the amount was agreed with Avant. The amount outstanding on the mortgage is now less than the Avant loan. How is that calculated? Do they alter the loan amount to reflect how much is now owed, or do they stick to the original amount and refund me the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

You should get refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Just realised that we have only 4 years left on the tracker but 14 years left on the overall mortgage. We moved a few years back and the only deal we could get was to keep the tracker for the first 10 years of a 20 year mortgage with Ulster Bank.

With the talk of interest rates only going up, I'm thinking is it best to move now and maybe fix the rate for the remaining 14 years?

But the full amount will still be owed to Avant - does that just push the term back by a few months? For example, it would be paid off in May 2050 instead of January 2050?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

The term is set before you draw it down. If it was a 30 year mortgage then the mortgage term only starts counting down from the day you draw down your new mortgage.

What will likely happen is your solicitor will transfer the full funds to your bank to pay off the balance of the mortgage. Any excess funds will either be transferred to you directly or indirectly via your solicitor.

It's very rare that a new mortgage will perfectly align with the existing mortgage. A refund is not unusual.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I should get a fair few quid back in that case. A nice twist in this tale!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Got sorted with EBS, saving €3 a day in interest as now at the green mortgage. I was only 2 months into my 3 year term, handy that they don't charge for changing unlike the other banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Quick question that someone may be able to help me with.

For the first time in about 6/7 calls, my bank outlined that the breakage fee was 0. Obviously I know that this figure changes every day, but it was nice to hear that perhaps there might be light at the end of the tunnel!

Just wondering - what are the steps one needs to take to change? Do I finish things up with my own bank first, start that process - or is it with the other bank, the bank who I wish to take out the new mortgage with?

Apologies if this has been outlined previously

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If there was no break fee, that's down to changes in rates since you fixed and the rate you fixed at rather than it being an EBS standard policy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I'm not sure what you mean the wording in their policy says you may get charged, but they never actually charged anything. I calculated what my saving would be given the difference in interest rates. They would have to notify me if I was charged a fee. It seems they don't enforce their policy. The guy who told me that they don't changed twice and no fee either. It seems an odd business decision not to charge but seems up be what they do, they warn that they might... But then don't. Their rate offer for a 3 year fixed didn't change since I took mine out, I just moved to the green mortgage rate - after taking my 2% cash back on drawdown which the green mortgage wouldn't have qualified for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

We ditched our Avant switcher. It was definitely painful.

On 2.1% tracker with PTSB, with about 203k and 20 years left. Should we fix this at 3% for 7 years?

Also have a smaller amount of about 29k on a variable rate of 3.9%. It was fixed at 3% but we came out of it, with zero breakage fee, as we aim to have that cleared by March 2023 with overpayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

That's not a great tracker is it?

I've fixed with AIB for 5 years at 2.15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Wasn't really up for the hassle of pulling together the documents for a switch but went through the process of initially increasing the monthly payments to pull the end date of the mortgage back from August 2042 to December 2036 followed by a switch from Variable 50<LTV<80 @ 2.85 to 5y fixed @2.35. Lots of opportunities to improve your position without the hassle of changing lender, just filled in a couple of forms and attached a valuation to the second one.

A longer fixed rate might have been nice but hoping to be able to just clear the balance at the end of the 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Started the process of switching to Avant via broker on 31 January. Funds were transferred to solicitor on 20th May.

Left PTSB 3.1% for the 7 year 1.95% with Avant.

Worth the bit of effort and the wait. Everything was done through a very helpful broker. Slightly shorter loan term and lower monthly repayment now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Switched from same bank to a lower rate fixed mortgage. Simple process, quick form emailed back to them.

Interest rates are rising soon so its a great time for anyone to nail a lower rate.

Hi - can you recommend what broker you worked through please? I just realised we are on a tracker mortgage Base+2%, for some reason I thought we were on Base +1.15%.

I see on Bonkers that Avant have a 2.4% fixed rate for 15 years, with the upcoming .25% and possibly another 0.5% in September it's looking very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Hi,currently quite a way through the process with a broker to move to Avant. Had the house valued during the week, only other things left are to send latest bank statements and payslips (since the approval in principle).

Do you recall how long it took from having valuation done to completing the switch?

Doesn't seem like much left to do,but conscious I need to complete by 15th July to get the 7 year 1.95% rate.

Any suggestions on what to preempt either?

Deadskin,we are using DPF Moneysherpa and have found them good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭amacca

Are Avant still only offering mortgages in certain areas? I thought they were only issuing mortgages in Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny etc

I used AllFinancials in Raheny, local. Margaret there was brilliant.

Valuation was April 4th. Hopefully you'll get sorted by mid July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

No it's not great. We moved and carried our tracker rate across +1%, so it's 2.1%.

Rates are increasing by 0.25% in July, and possibly another 0.5% in September, that would bring me to 2.85%. Which is still lower than my bank's current fixed rates. But I'm worried that if I don't lock in a fixed rate soon, the bank will increase their fixed rates soon enough too. And ECB rates could increase again after September.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RosieV

Started the switching process with Avant at the end of January, got approval in principle on 2nd March, valuation on 8th March. Finally got the loan pack last week...painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Spoke with EBS on Friday, in a fixed 3 year deal and half way through it. Asked about switching to a different rate. Advised no breakage fee...i never clarified though, would it be possible to change to a different provider or is the no breakage fee only for switching to a different rate with current provider?

Will give them a call tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone could clarify? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

Our broker told us to arrange the valuation in the last week of May because he expected us to get the loan offer. They asked for details of what our top us was for.

Then they asked for an updated statement for an account but we were on holidays so only uploaded that on the 12th.

I asked the broker how long loan offers were taking & he said 4 weeks so unlikely we'll get the lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

The no breakage fee should apply when switching to another provider too. Worth a call to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Highly unlikely you still have the 1.15% tracker. When you moved, they most likely gave you a mover tracker which is an extra 1%, so your tracker is 2.15%

If the LTV is under 60% (most likely) you can get 2.8% 10 year fixed with Ulster. I'd jump at that rate.

At that stage you would just have 4 years left and a much smaller balance, so mortgage rate will not be as important in the calculations

Why did you ditch the Avant switch. Yes, they are slow at the moment due to the volume, but they represent the best value in the market by a mile especially compared to PTSB.

But if staying with PTSB go for 7 year fixed for the entire amount.

Rather than overpay just the smaller amount, change the term to 15 years. This will give you a monthly payment of €1588 v €1275 and at the end of the fixed period your mortgage balance will be about €130,000

There's a calculation used.

International swap rates have increased to multiyear highs in the past couple of weeks, so anyone with a fixed mortgage should have a zero break fee at present even if they fixed this year. EBS do not do charity (nor do any other banks)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yes, they use brokers & only cover certain areas (But Area's covered is increasing so check with avant broker for your specific area)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement

Yep, that's correct but we have 2%. We got a letter last week from Ulster Bank saying that performing tracker mortgages will "likely" be moving to AIB. Didn't think that I could move to another mortgage product within Ulster since they are pulling out, curious now that if/when we move to AIB will that still be an option.

Advertisement