Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you a toucher? A sniffer?

• 02-02-2017 1:18pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was in Lidl last evening, picking up a couple of pretzels. My son loves them.

Anyway, after I'd carefully picked them up with those tongs, (after giving them a few test clicks) I noticed a lady checking out the goods.

Not me fortunately (and unlikely), but the rolls. She picked it up. With her hands. Squeezed it. Sniffed it, and put it back.

Who does that? It's disgusting? She could be a closet nose picker / bum scratcher for all I know.

Do you paw the goods, or are you a stickler for the rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm neither, but this is why I don't buy loose food from the serve-yourself bins. I've also seen flies on the uncovered bread and cakes in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭misstearheus

There's never any feicin' Tongs in any of the bread baskets in our local Lidl. What I do is use 2 bags and bag as ya go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My kids are notorious in Lidl for picking up things.

Boy: Dad, can I have this (holding up an apple pie)
    Boomer: Jaysus son, how many times do I have to tell you to not paw the food.
    Boy: Sorry dad, i just really want one.
    Boomer: Touch them all quick..
    Boy: Say no more
    Boomer: Well, you've touched them all son, so we gots to buy them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was in Lidl a while back and a snotty nosed child member of our ethnic minority community was pawing through the cookies. She picked one up and started eating it, eventually her parent came over and told her to get one, but put that one back cos she'd already eaten some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No, because I'm not a ****ing tosser.

Well, in this particular context, I'm not a tosser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

It's fcuking rank.

and I'd have had no problem saying it to that absolute knackpot to get her maulers of the bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I usually just jump over the fence to the neighbours washing line for a sniff or a touch.

Saves going to Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

MarkR wrote: »

Anyway, after I'd carefully picked them up with those tongs, (after giving them a few test clicks) I noticed a lady checking out the goods.

Not me fortunately (and unlikely), but the rolls. She picked it up. With her hands. Squeezed it. Sniffed it, and put it back.

Who does that? It's disgusting? She could be a closet nose picker / bum scratcher for all I know.

I had one near me and I noticed the bin men in Summer working without gloves sticking on their hands and then rooting around for their bread during their morning break. Very off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Particularly pungent country gentlemen loaded up a bag of nuts ahead of me in Lidl.
    Then dug his filthy paws into the box and stuffed his pockets for the road.

I'll take the pre-packed ones please.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Its not just in Lidl
    Tesco Ballyfermot one day I had the unfortunate occasion to be there.
    Guy is standing at the hot food shelf eating his dinner from all the bags.
    Washing it all down with a bottle of coke from the aisle (another thing that annoys me people walking round eating and putting the waste in the shelves)
    I left before I could see what he had for his desert no doubt he had a spoon in his pocket to sample the ice cream.

Filthy shop never set foot in it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

In tescos a few weeks ago and there was this kid licking his fingers and rubbing them on the pic a mix all over the sugary cola bottles and the different bon bons etc than licking the sugar off and repeated this. A few people at the checkout was looking for the mother to say it to her but no sign.Checkout lady was informed and got a young staff member to stand guard as he was persistent.He was a filthy little fella too.

Turned off for life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I used to work installing shop tills and i'd have to stay in the shop for first day to answer any questions. What I saw on those days made sure I never buy anything that is self service like bread, cakes and pick&mix. i once saw a women get her kid to spit out a pile of sweets from the pick&mix box which he had stuffed in his mouth and put them back in the pick&mix box.:eek:

I'm really trying to avoid plastic packaging but avoiding other people's gob germs and their microscopic snot and filth particles is more important to me

avoiding other people's gob germs and their microscopic snot and filth particles is more important to me

Being the culchie that I am, I am known to drive to the Red Cow and get the Luas Red Line into the big shmoke.

Or as I call it... the "hocking spitting coughing sneezing Plague Monkey" line.

suits-ebola-sold.jpg

Being the culchie that I am, I am known to drive to the Red Cow and get the Luas Red Line into the big shmoke.

Or as I call it... the "hocking spitting coughing sneezing Plague Monkey" line.

suits-ebola-sold.jpg

Do you feel filthy after it? When in nearest city, I feel like I've a layer of grime on me afterwards. Especially on my hands if I've touched the metal bannisters on the carpark stairs.

I'e probably built up superimmunity to ever germ known to man, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Disappointing thread, I was hoping for something perverted.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Disappointing thread, I was hoping for something perverted.

You can put on a dublin accent and spit on my hazmat suit if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Ahh Gawd, people are filthy, how I ever leave the house at all I don't know.8a7ac2aabf55ddd67b8cfcf551d7f9e3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

some people are just dirty fcukers!
    often seen people go into the shop, pick up the fresh rolls, give them a squeeze and put it back. only today, there's fellas laying kerbs outside the local supermarket. one cam in, picked up a roll with dried muck on his hands, deiceded he didnt want it anymore and picked up a different one. we;ve had kids get a bit peckish and take a bite out of them, then the parents refusing to pay for it "sure what did they do?! my johnny didnt do that!...yes, yes johnny did. i just saw him. well im not paying for that!!!" take bites out of apples, put them back.

story from tesco bugs the **** out of me. no exaggeration..i would say about 60% of people get their food at hot food counter, eat most of it, come up and tell you that they have one sausage. "ok, and will i take for the the 10 goujons, 20 sausage rolls and the breakfast roll that you just rammed down your neck?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

A colleague witnessed this..... In a Superquinn a few years ago she saw a well dressed middle aged man scoop a large spoonful (using the serving spoon) of salad from the salad bar and put it into his mouth, then place the oversized spoon back into the vat of salad and walk on. She was pretty sure it was potato salad.

Our office erupted into screams when she told this story. Still makes me shudder. I never buy any unwrapped foods (apart from veg/fruit) in the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

MarkR wrote: »

I have seen ladies do that also, and when i see this happening, I cannot buy from that counter, as these people keep going through the whole lot of the product,
    There should be a notice, asking people not to handle food, and any they pick up they buy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have seen people pick up bread rolls with their hands, accidentally drop one or two and put the dropped ones back and take two different ones.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There's never any feicin' Tongs in any of the bread baskets in our local Lidl. What I do is use 2 bags and bag as ya go.

And there's never any thongs for the apples or red / green peppers either, but I guess most people wash them before eating.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I was in a pub that serves food once and one of the people i was with bought nachos. Some charmer came along and scooped a few up in his hand and whisked them away.

In his mind he was this really suave guy who bolted in and everyone went "who is that take charge man about town".

In reality his friends just looked embarrassed that their adult friend doesnt have the self possession of a trained lapdog.

Sorry, what was the question again?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reminds me of my market trading days and the ones we called,"Maulers" Always Irish ladies of a certain age who would creep along the front of the stall, picking everything up, stretching hand knitted hats between huge hands, turning jars of jam upside down, then finally holding up a hat and saying with huge contempt, " I could knit this in half an hour."

Shudders re all the stories here; I would never ever buy unwrapped food.

Not even carrots etc.

But then when folk wash their hands in the washrooms, they then handle the dirty taps and the door handles..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I always knew the open food stuff was a bit suspect but I'm now convinced on staying clear having read this thread. Thanks boards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The adult version must be the 'sniff and lick' at Coppers on Saturday nights....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I was in a lidl over in Spain and all their baked goods were in covered see through cases slanted towards you. A long tongs or scoop was at the fromt of the box and you pushed whatever you wanted up to the top and over to the left and onto a chute and it would drop down to an opening. Sounds complicated, but I thought it was brilliant, because it lowered the chance of spit, kids pawing etc. I don't think we have them here but I hope they're brought in soon

https://goo.gl/images/7IxJtI

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those salad bar things in supermarkets are amongst the most grim places known to man. I've seen a woman literally fingering the tuna sweetcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

My local supermarket has a healthy clientele of ladies of that age, buying fruit is a nightmare, particularly apples can only be purchased if they're freshly on display. Local habit seems to be to test the apples (hardness? softness?) by pushing a thumbnail into it, having observed the practice it seems you need to test almost all the apples in this manner before selecting a non tested one. Apples on display for more than 5 mins tend to be pock marked with little crescents or worse puncture marks.

Advertisement