Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intermittent File share/ server access issues

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭somanynames90

Thats all Done but there still a considerbally delay trying to open the file server

and even then it dose not seem to right fully

BLARG!!!!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

and even then it dose not seem to right fully

Huh?

Is the delay longer than before?
    is there a noticable difference between opening [URL="file://\\192.168.1.1\share"]\\192.168.1.1\share[/URL] and [URL="file://\\server\share"]\\server\share[/URL]

Al.

Alzar wrote: »
    Huh?

Is the delay longer than before?
    is there a noticable difference between opening [URL="file://\\192.168.1.1\share"]\\192.168.1.1\share[/URL] and [URL="file://\\server\share"]\\server\share[/URL]

Al.

Sorry about the Blarg!

Just been a long day -

Right what i done was i change all the nic speed to 100full and restarted the PCs only

and each one worked - with a quick response also :).... so at the min it looking good

sadly there 2 computer the are switched off

so fingers crossed

Many thanks to Alzar & feylya

S

we love long days :eek::eek: plenty of coffee & for me...ciggie's.

Anyway, if you see a slowdown tomorrow, trying going from the server to one of the affected pc's, i.e. from the server run [URL="file://\\pcname\c$"]\\pcname\c$[/URL] & see if that is slow too. If it is, the duplex may still be out.

Can you get access to the switch when onsite or can someone else do it? Do you think it's a Cisco or Netgear jobbie.
    If you can either set everything to autonegotiate (Auto/Auto) - server, clients & ports on the switch or else hardcode everything to 100/Full.

let us know how you go tomorrow.
    Cheers
    Al.

Ok im Logged in to the copmputer that has been the problem all along

and i set it to 100 Full - now its still slow - and theres an error

"An Error orrurred while connection Z:\ to \\Server\Share"
    "The Local Name all ready in use"
    "This connection has not been restored"

Any ideas ?

S

Ok i disconnected the mapped drive and change it back to auto nego and seems to be ok - but im going to looking at it some time today around 5 ish

S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

did you try to turn off the windows firewall on the pcs, this caused a good few similiar intermitant problems when on an office network in the past for me..

....but im going to looking at it some time today around 5 ish

S

Any news?

Al.

Any news?

Al.

Ok - looked at the system again...

First off i was able to get the number from the last guy who looked at the server - called him and what we found out was

1. there was no AV
    2. the computer has 512MB installed but.... it was only showing up 248MB
    one of the RAM Modules is dead(going to order one tomorrow)
    3. Back up system is not workin

So i call dell - and i was very surprised
    A person called William was very help full and assest me in getting the computer up to date and also recommand what RAM i need for the server

So its going to be about 40 -50 euro for 2GB(2X1 GB)

As we speack the Server is running a back up -

Due to the Lack of RAM in the MAchine its possible that the sever was not abot to handle the traffic to the file server

So......

Just a waiting game for the RAM - I'm starting to get a smile on my face

A W2k3 server is gonna crawl with 512Mb RAM & probably should've fallen over & died with 256MB.
    Pop in the new RAM, get some AV on there & run daily backup jobs on that server.
    Update the thread with the results after the RAM upgrade.

If nothing else you learned a bit about duplex mismatches ;);) & how they can kill your LAN.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 +Jim+

Apologies if this situation has already been resolved, having read the previous comments and suggestions from other posters I felt I had to offer some relevant advice!

If I were troubleshooting this problem, the very first things I would do would be to remove the dhcp server role from your Eircom box. You should then install both Dhcp and Dns servers on your Server2003 machine (assuming that your server has sufficient resources, ie. ram and disk space)

Dns setup should include both forward and reverse lookup zones, and have correctly defined forwarders to your Eircom dns servers (external)
    Then, you can configure Dhcp with an adequate scope, make sure to include the correct Ip Gateway (int address of Eircom box) and Dns server (address of server2003 machine)

In my experience, fiddling with duplexing on individual nics can surely help but is rarely the cause of intermittent loss of access to file shares on small to medium sized lans.

• Advertisement

Ok as i said before i was talking to the the person that was looking at the server before me

and he said to take off DHCP and apply static address and for the DNS settings for the primary user the server address(192.168.1.1) and for the second one use the DNS address form eircom

and straight away i notice a speed up in the network on the computers thats are connected

Ive not set up DHCP on the server yet im going to wait for the RAM to come in(next tuesday) thats enough time to see if any more problem happens

So fingers crossed

Thanks for every ones input

Jonathon

On your server you now have the following IP config??
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS Server: 213.94.190.194 -> or some other eircom dns server address

Any idea of what it was before you made the changes?

Al.

mmm not really - but i kinda have a handle on the system now with im :D about

Ok. See how how go with the new RAM & a DHCP scope setup on the server.
    Sorry if I sent you off on a wild goose chase about duplexing...guess I got tunnel vision on this one.

Cheers
    Al.

Hey Guys

Put in the ram and its working a hell of a lot better

Now on my findings last week i notice the backup tape was not working to well

What is the sorry with back ups and and LAW?

Thanks

Somanynames

This is what i have to do, others may do it differently:

we keep month end tape for 12 months & the year end tape for seven years.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good to hear the issue is nearing an end.
    I would probably agree with +JIM+ in that DNS and DHCP setups are critical in an AD environment and really should be set up on a windows box if possible.

It appears the issue is close to being resolved (low RAM stopping the server respond to requests SEEMS to be a contributary cause.)

I would also check licensing on the server in case that is an issue, unlikely. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client_Access_License

Also, just for future reference, you should analyses the security, application and system logs when troubleshooting something like this, both on the client and on the server.

Kippy

This is what i have to do, others may do it differently:

we keep month end tape for 12 months & the year end tape for seven years.

Al.

do you store your tapes off site ?

J

We do, we have another premises about 2 miles away. One of the lads drops in a tape every night on his way home.

Al.

Advertisement