Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch tapes = DRMedia

• 30-01-2009 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I know this may sound stupid but I just want to clarify. Are Scratch tapes the same as DRM tapes? I thought Scratch tapes were new tapes with no data on them and DRM tapes had Media on them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Just like a scratch disk, or a scratch pad, it's for temporary storage only. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_tape

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I know what they are but are they the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Honestly, I've never heard of media referred to as DRM media (though a google suggests it relates to IBM Tivoli, which I have no experience of. is that what you're using?).

If so, I found this: http://www.backupcentral.com/components/com_mambowiki/index.php/Disaster_Recovery_Manager_(DRM) which suggests that they're not the same. DRM media looks to be used for Bare Metal Recovery.

The term DRM media might be specific to whatever app you're using, so I could be looking in the wrong place!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

preilly79 wrote: »
    Honestly, I've never heard of media referred to as DRM media (though a google suggests it relates to IBM Tivoli, which I have no experience of. is that what you're using?).

If so, I found this: http://www.backupcentral.com/components/com_mambowiki/index.php/Disaster_Recovery_Manager_(DRM) which suggests that they're not the same. DRM media looks to be used for Bare Metal Recovery.

The term DRM media might be specific to whatever app you're using, so I could be looking in the wrong place!
    Yes we use IBM Tivoli. All the senior admins seem to say they are the same thing as scratch tapes but to me that doesn't really make sense. Thanks for the link i'll take a look.

Just clicked on the link but it must be gone. "no text on this page" or something. thanks anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

From a Tivoli perspective for bare metal restore I would have thought that the DRM media is OS Image (mksysb's etc.), tsm database backup and your offsite backup tapes. I've always thought of scratch tapes as new tapes introduced. Once assigned to a copy_tape pool they are still scratch till data is backed up to them. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

scratch generally means it's not been used or that it is available for use

In backup exec you can assign media to the scratch media pool so that any job can then use it irrespective of the previous pool's media retention time

Advertisement