Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAS + VPN network issue

• 03-02-2019 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a qnap 431 to store a bunch of stuff on, primarily its used as my media storage with it directly connected to my PC which is running as a PLEX server.

The issues are firstly the NAS cannot access the internet, now this isnt a serious problem as i dont really need it to do this however having email alerts in the future might be useful. The real problem is whenever I am connected to my VPN i lose all access to the NAS and from my very basic understanding of networks these two issues are likely linked.

I think the issue is down to static ip addresses and subnet masks but again i have tried and failed to understand these systems and anytime i change something in the network adapters i either lose access to the NAS drive completely or the internet.

Can anyone give any advice or steer me in the direction of a good guide for this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theBOFH

VinLieger wrote: »
    I recently bought a qnap 431 to store a bunch of stuff on, primarily its used as my media storage with it directly connected to my PC which is running as a PLEX server.

The issues are firstly the NAS cannot access the internet, now this isnt a serious problem as i dont really need it to do this however having email alerts in the future might be useful. The real problem is whenever I am connected to my VPN i lose all access to the NAS and from my very basic understanding of networks these two issues are likely linked.

I think the issue is down to static ip addresses and subnet masks but again i have tried and failed to understand these systems and anytime i change something in the network adapters i either lose access to the NAS drive completely or the internet.

Can anyone give any advice or steer me in the direction of a good guide for this stuff?

In order to try help a little more info is required.

Are you using a static ip on the qnap? If so what us the IP/netmask/gateway on the QNAP.

What is the make/model and ip/netmask of the router?
    What is taking care of the VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

theBOFH wrote: »
    In order to try help a little more info is required.

Are you using a static ip on the qnap? If so what us the IP/netmask/gateway on the QNAP.

What is the make/model and ip/netmask of the router?
    What is taking care of the VPN?

The Qnap is set to use DHCP, i just went with the default

ip:169.254.100.100
    netmask:255.255.0.0

Its not connected to my router, i wanted it next to my pc o its directly connected to that via etehernet

Im using Nordvpn and have that setup so everything should be working according to their guides.

Its not connected to my router, i wanted it next to my pc o its directly connected to that via etehernet

Im using Nordvpn and have that setup so everything should be working according to their guides.

169. address is because there is no DHCP server giving out a routable address.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theBOFH

Ok, one more question. When you connect your computer to the internet, is it via another ethernet cable, via wifi or via a 3g/4g dongle?

The answer at this stage is that the NordVPN is most likely operating a "full tunnel" vpn meaning that all network traffic is being sent down the vpn, even the traffic intended for your NAS.
    There may be a setting in the NordPN to allow for a split-tunnel or " invisibility on LAN" or something along those lines which would send the traffic destined for the NAS out via the ethernet port while still sending the internet based traffic out the virtual network adapter created for the VPN.

In relation to the nas not being able to access the internet, unless your pc is acting as a router/bridge it will have not be able to get to the internet.
    The "simplest" option would be to connect it to your router/modem via Ethernet and go from there

theBOFH wrote: »
    Ok, one more question. When you connect your computer to the internet, is it via another ethernet cable, via wifi or via a 3g/4g dongle?

The answer at this stage is that the NordVPN is most likely operating a "full tunnel" vpn meaning that all network traffic is being sent down the vpn, even the traffic intended for your NAS.
    There may be a setting in the NordPN to allow for a split-tunnel or " invisibility on LAN" or something along those lines which would send the traffic destined for the NAS out via the ethernet port while still sending the internet based traffic out the virtual network adapter created for the VPN.

In relation to the nas not being able to access the internet, unless your pc is acting as a router/bridge it will have not be able to get to the internet.
    The "simplest" option would be to connect it to your router/modem via Ethernet and go from there

Im using a wireless adapter as running a cable from the router to my pc isnt really possible and powerline tests were not consistent enough for me to use it.

Nordvpn does have an invisibility on LAN setting but this is switched off so shouldnt be an issue if it works correctly.

Whenever ive turned on internet sharing for the wireless the adapter it kills my internet connection for some reason.

I have noticed the subnet mask for the adapater and Nordvpn is different to my NAS, but whenever i try to change them it wont stick. Could this be the problem?

• Advertisement

Anyone else able to help with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your default route is overriding all traffic thus the NAS is unreachable.

You need a 169 route with a lower metric than the default routes metric. Jobs oxo.

ED E wrote: »
    Your default route is overriding all traffic thus the NAS is unreachable.

You need a 169 route with a lower metric than the default routes metric. Jobs oxo.

Thanks, also sorry im halfway to understanding, would a 169 route with a lower metric be like 169.254.100.99 ?

Turned my PC on today and my NAS has completely disappeared from being visible, this has happened before and is fixed by doing a settings reset but would love if anyone could give a clue why this is happening on top of all the other questions ive got

Advertisement