Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Milked out wrote: »
    Nice set up there, would love to build a on a greenfield site like that as opposed the fitting extensions on older buildings. Got a shot of those easyfix cubicles for one of the dry cow pens, they're a grand job. Was talking to the advisor later on about them as he had been in the states for a bit and the opinion of the farmers he had spoke to about them was that cows tended to lie a bit too diagonally hence making them a bit dirter than the steel ones, esp for milkers. He didn't mention anything about injuriers or otherwise. I think one of them had a cubicle which was a combo of plastic and steel which gave enuv flexibilty but obv less that the easyfix ones
    MMost farms over here don't have any buildings to start with so most building work would be greenfield site. They startedto built the parlours and sheds on that farm in march and were milking in early may I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

C0N0R wrote: »
    I was very impressed with them, they would be a lot cheaper I'd imagine? There was the odd one sitting a bit bent but nothing major, how well do they last??

If you get the complete set of them, as in uprights and all, they are similar in price to a standard cubicle. I had cows housed at the time and this was an old shed with the old short cubicles and came out to find an incalf cow stuck in them, ended up cutting her out and she never got up again so ripped out the old ones, put up two horizontal box iron bars between the uprights and fitted in the easyfix ones to those as opposed to standin the vertical for each cubicle as they do with the whole set as the concrete base is old and a bit short anyways. They are only in two years but i saw one over a wall pointed straight up over it thinking there goes the first one but it was grand, didn't snap. Cant comment too much on cleanliness as the bed is short so i have them wide enough that they can lie at a slight angle, but no prob really. If you could find out the type of plastic used twud be handy enough to fit them to anything really yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Lads how is your end of season going over there? How's your lastose holding in the wet weather, or what are ye feeding with the grass? Had lactose problems last oct/nov myself and looking to prevent the same problems happening again this year as I'm trying to keep fresh winter calvers to a minimum, supply a bit more from later spring ladies but lactose limit pm is 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

BF dropping off a cliff here, gone from 4 to 3.6 in 10days. Aside from using an acid buff on the nuts, should I offer the cows hay/straw?

Milked out wrote: »
    Lads how is your end of season going over there? How's your lastose holding in the wet weather, or what are ye feeding with the grass? Had lactose problems last oct/nov myself and looking to prevent the same problems happening again this year as I'm trying to keep fresh winter calvers to a minimum, supply a bit more from later spring ladies but lactose limit pm is 4.5
    Never realy look at lactose to much has dropped from 4.95 to 4.85 since the wet weather started, feeding only grass to the majority of the cows have about 270 cows on once a day milking and getting 3 kg of wholecrop barley. What feed helps to hold lactose levels ?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    BF dropping off a cliff here, gone from 4 to 3.6 in 10days. Aside from using an acid buff on the nuts, should I offer the cows hay/straw?
    Some people may not agree but the only time I think a non tmr feed milking cow should be offered straw or hay is when your drying her off. Straw is only taking up room in the rumen that could be better filled with high me feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mine has dropped from 3.97 to 3.8 also,grass is very lush at the moment ,I tried straw,put a round feeder in yard with good oaten straw and they aren't interested.grass quality is simply too good.they aren't scoured or very loose in the dung though.use a nut with a hi maize content 35%) and a high ufl.its just a lack of fibre.acid buff will help

Grandos wont bother with the straw so, the JEx are the ones who'd probably go for it ha. But I've afew bales of hay if they would be any more appetizing? Cows all still getting up to 6kg (fed to yield) of a high maize 16% nut so not much I can do there. Some cows are very loose, which makes milking fun ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Grandos wont bother with the straw so, the JEx are the ones who'd probably go for it ha. But I've afew bales of hay if they would be any more appetizing? Cows all still getting up to 6kg (fed to yield) of a high maize 16% nut so not much I can do there. Some cows are very loose, which makes milking fun ha!

Cut the protein. 2 to 1 mix of maize meal and soya hulls here. Less than 2 kg/hd @27l still rising strongly. Hoping they'll hit 30 which wouldn't be too bad with the mix we have of autumn(plus a few carryovers) and spring with almost 30 heifers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

12-14% p is what ye need

• Advertisement

12-14% p is what ye need

There's enough N around for them to make enough protein to cover any slight defecits in the grass them selves. If you're going to feed meal energy is the only thing to look at currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

Grass can be anything up to 30 % Protien. So there well covered.

Mine are picking at a bale of straw at milking time. Just taking a small bit but they will take it if they need it. I find it helps them make better use of the grass and they cud it a bit more. And not scuttered to death.

There was feckall price diff between 14 and 16%p (265 v 270) last load which was why I stuck with the 16%. Milk Urea still in the low teens here so I'm not too pushed either way.

mf240 wrote: »
    And not scuttered to death.

Like your tomcats after the SL ha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

opt_IMG_20140424_111513.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/gd8e.jpg
    Best place for calves
    Happy as Larry in the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Fibre. Soya hulls would be a good source as hay and straw won't be consumed by all of the cows.

12-14% p is what ye need

Totally agree IF milk urea is around 28 to 32. If it's higher than 32 cut out the protein as you could end up with a lot of cows repeating.
    Cows on grass don't need protein as much as energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭stanflt

Cows doing 33 litres on 4kg 13% hi maize hi energy nut

Milk urea 17
    Scc234
    3.52 p
    3.64 f

Never had p this high this time of year

Booked silage contractor this morning. Hopefully around 10th of May. He's after buying a tedder so hopefully we'll be able to get dm up a nice few points. He's really after setting his stall out to target farmers aiming to make top quality silage with an hourly rate and the tedder.

Booked silage contractor this morning. Hopefully around 10th of May. He's after buying a tedder so hopefully we'll be able to get dm up a nice few points. He's really after setting his stall out to target farmers aiming to make top quality silage with an hourly rate and the tedder.
    Just walked my silage. Really after powering on in the last week with the rain will be 1week of July before it will be fit to cut though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Just walked my silage. Really after powering on in the last week with the rain will be 1week of July before it will be fit to cut though

1st week of June surely?

Quantity over quality?

sheebadog wrote: »
    Quantity over quality?

Sorry June.

Sorry June.

Same difference. I thought ye had ye're own gear.

Same difference. I thought ye had ye're own gear.

Ye we do. Need to start getting them ready. ****ing pain in the hole us all it is having machinery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Be careful about overfeeding her, at one sitting 4kg is enough, say twice a day 8kg max, even at that you are risking acidosis, and her milking her back off if the nuts are too high in protein. She will need a reasonable % of her diet in fodder, likes of grass, silage, maize etc.

Hangon, 3/4 of a 13gls bucket? Thats like 45l in volume, sounds like wayyy too much?
    Sorry that should have been a 13 litre bucket :eek:
    Weighted the bucket this morning and it is about 6kgs.

Cut most of my first cut in late may last year, spurred on by advice on here and ended up cutting a lot of it three times ( up to three miles away so can't graze it with cows)
    Never had such good silage, will be cutting as early as possible again this year.

Cut most of my first cut in late may last year, spurred on by advice on here and ended up cutting a lot of it three times ( up to three miles away so can't graze it with cows)
    Never had such good silage, will be cutting as early as possible again this year.

I hope to have the silage cut by mid June

stanflt wrote: »
    I hope to have the silage cut by mid June

Mid may?

• Advertisement

Mid may?

No mid June

Six weeks after first cut

This discussion has been closed.