Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Will you sell them or use them yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Will you sell them or use them yourself?

Crimp and feed out to stock. Trying to add value to the soya as yields are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

sheebadog wrote: »
    Bit of dust about.

Fancy exporting some topsoil? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

stanflt wrote: »
    cobactin rumecam or flinixin and shi t e loads of water with chanedol

if got within 12hours cow will not lose quarter

Agreed, have had a serious run of it here in the last month, had the vet coming out to two cows one morning with it when i noticed a cow that would normally be in in the first couple of rows come in the last row down in milk, temp, and off her nuts but the milk seemed grand to look at but the vet treated her the same as the other two and she was the only cow that came through with the 4 spins but there is not much time for error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Bit of dust about.

Not a stone to be seen. You must get good mileage out of the plough metal.

• Advertisement

Not a stone to be seen. You must get good mileage out of the plough metal.

Not as much as you would expect. However I attribute that wear to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

loveta wrote: »
    Agreed, have had a serious run of it here in the last month, had the vet coming out to two cows one morning with it when i noticed a cow that would normally be in in the first couple of rows come in the last row down in milk, temp, and off her nuts but the milk seemed grand to look at but the vet treated her the same as the other two and she was the only cow that came through with the 4 spins but there is not much time for error

Gentamycin or framamycin(anthing else and ur wasting ur time) with finidine or some other painkiller/anti-inflammatory the very minute a cow is noticed is what's used here, and normally save the quarter as well, and if not saved for this yr, it returns as normal in the nxt lactation. Can't understand a farmer waiting vet in that situation, a few hrs is the difference between a positive and a negative outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Gentamycin or framamycin(anthing else and ur wasting ur time) with finidine or some other painkiller/anti-inflammatory the very minute a cow is noticed is what's used here, and normally save the quarter as well, and if not saved for this yr, it returns as normal in the nxt lactation. Can't understand a farmer waiting vet in that situation, a few hrs is the difference between a positive and a negative outcome.

That's assuming my you get it early.vet was called as the drugs that normally work were not working as I thought they should as for waiting for him to call out 20 mins. Early call before the office opened and there is a few of them on call

How often would you normally dose your heifers for there second year at grass?
    I've a wormer that lasts 5 weeks. They haven't been done since they went out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

How often would you normally dose your heifers for there second year at grass?
    I've a wormer that lasts 5 weeks. They haven't been done since they went out

July and housing with a follow up for fluke after 6 weeks housed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

July and housing with a follow up for fluke after 6 weeks housed

About a month after turnout and the end of August.

Might do them today then when I put kamars on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Turn them out in feb,give them Bvd shot,late march Bvd booster and Ibr shot and all trace bolus.worm dose early July and then do them for worms and fluke depending on faceal sample at housing.

Let the last 20 calves out today. Happy out running around the spot. I'll bring them in tonight because its supposed to rain. Youngest are 4-5 weeks old so still soft

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Let the last 20 calves out today. Happy out running around the spot. I'll bring them in tonight because its supposed to rain. Youngest are 4-5 weeks old so still soft
    letting out the autumn calves today, no more cattle left in now apart from calves and dry cows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Any glanbia suppliers out there? How have ye gotten on over the past few years with the fixed price scheme? Form just arrived in the post. Yer man the dairy board chairman was talking down milk price in the indo yesterday but was looking forward to years of gravy in the Sunday Times business section last week. Hard to know which set of views to take on board esp since they were both expressed by the same guy.
    He said traditional Irish produce such as Kerrygold butter would be limited to niche markets.
    "They don't have the ability to produce enough dairy," he said. "They have land problems, they have water problems and they have very fast growing populations."

The second quote is from the Sunday Times where he spent a couple of paragraphs explaining on some detail why the IDB would have no need of an IPO to fund their expansion plans, very much in the vein of a premiership football club chairman declaring his undying support for his under fire manager on the Friday before what everyone recognises as the last chance saloon match for said manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

Crimp and feed out to stock. Trying to add value to the soya as yields are low.

Did u ever grow lupins?

conor t wrote: »
    Did u ever grow lupins?

No I never did grow lupins, but I'm told they need a good sup of water.
    What % protein are lupins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

No I never did grow lupins, but I'm told they need a good sup of water.
    What % protein are lupins?

Not sure but think there similar enough to soya, there is winter varieties to as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A question for you dairy famers. We bought a FRxJe cow last week. She is on her 4 lactation. We were buying calves from the farmer (a friend) and he told us about this nice quiet cow the he was going to get rid of because he was concerned about one of her quarters. He suggested that she would be suitable for rearing a few calves.
    Anyway when we got her she was milking 35l a day. I had been giving her calf pencils up till now as I could only get dairy nuts yesterday.
    How much dairy nuts should I feed her. I am giving her three quarters of a 13 gallon bucket twice a day. She is on limited grass cover as we didn't get slurry out on time. She is feeding 5 hex bull calves twice a day.
    Oh I decided to name her as she is the only cow in the village, sorry farm.
    Her name is Biddy :-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Base price wrote: »
    A question for you dairy famers. We bought a FRxJe cow last week. She is on her 4 lactation. We were buying calves from the farmer (a friend) and he told us about this nice quiet cow the he was going to get rid of because he was concerned about one of her quarters. He suggested that she would be suitable for rearing a few calves.
    Anyway when we got her she was milking 35l a day. I had been giving her calf pencils up till now as I could only get dairy nuts yesterday.
    How much dairy nuts should I feed her. I am giving her three quarters of a 13 gallon bucket twice a day. She is on limited grass cover as we didn't get slurry out on time. She is feeding 5 hex bull calves twice a day.
    Oh I decided to name her as she is the only cow in the village, sorry farm.
    Her name is Biddy :-))

U should give that pup a dish of it tonite to celebrate his survival!

U should give that pup a dish of it tonite to celebrate his survival!
    That same pup spends most of her time in with the calves licking up milky shi....... :o
    Anyway, am I giving the cow too much, just enough or not enough nuts. It looks an awful lot in the bucket but I don't want her production levels to fail due to lack of grass.
    Dairy cows nowdays are not the same animals that I looked after in my teenage years.

Can ye weigh the nuts to see what kg you ate giving. 35 l of milk for aJEX is exceptional

I will weigh them in the morning with a old fish weighing scales that I have in the jeep. She is slightly larger than medium cow but with a lovely elder.
    This guy has been using JE for years on his FR/HO and visa versa. He has excellent dairy calves and I should know as I have bought, reared and seen lots of them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Be careful about overfeeding her, at one sitting 4kg is enough, say twice a day 8kg max, even at that you are risking acidosis, and her milking her back off if the nuts are too high in protein. She will need a reasonable % of her diet in fodder, likes of grass, silage, maize etc.

Hangon, 3/4 of a 13gls bucket? Thats like 45l in volume, sounds like wayyy too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Went to an open day yesterday that was on an indoor farm here. Something a bit different to the usual nz grass based system! Didn't hear how many cows it was but must have been 800 plus. Lovely sheds they were in, all year round calving, first 50 days of lactation are three times a day milking and then depending on yield they go back onto twice a day. First year of conversion now and costs looking at $5.50 a solid before debt management but hoping to get it down to $4.60 next year. Diet fed on 4kg grass silage, 4kg maize silage, 4kg lucerne silage, 6kg wheat, small bit of soya, canola and palm kernel and straw as well I think. Was interesting to see.

20140423_144905.jpg

Cubicles all with mats and limed after cows removed for milking.

20140423_153018.jpg

The shed, roughly 40 cubicles a bay and roughly 20 bays long.

20140423_153029.jpg
    Nice concrete turning circle at the end of the shed for the diet feeder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

C0N0R wrote: »
    Went to an open day yesterday that was on an indoor farm here. Something a bit different to the usual nz grass based system! Didn't hear how many cows it was but must have been 800 plus. Lovely sheds they were in, all year round calving, first 50 days of lactation are three times a day milking and then depending on yield they go back onto twice a day. First year of conversion now and costs looking at $5.50 a solid before debt management but hoping to get it down to $4.60 next year. Diet fed on 4kg grass silage, 4kg maize silage, 4kg lucerne silage, 6kg wheat, small bit of soya, canola and palm kernel and straw as well I think. Was interesting to see.

20140423_144905.jpg

Cubicles all with mats and limed after cows removed for milking.

20140423_153018.jpg

The shed, roughly 40 cubicles a bay and roughly 20 bays long.

20140423_153029.jpg
    Nice concrete turning circle at the end of the shed for the diet feeder!
    what sort of solids per cow were they doing ? is that the rel farm on tomsons track. would of loved to have that shed last week:D

trixi2011 wrote: »
    what sort of solids per cow were they doing ? is that the rel farm on tomsons track. would of loved to have that shed last week:D

It was aimed towards crop farmers so wasn't to much spoke about milk production! There doing 2.2 at the moment but that's with all year round calving and it's the first year. I'll let you know more when I get the details emailed out. Conversion cost was $25-30000 a hectare as apposed to the usual $10000! Ya was Willys place just of thomsons track. I'd say the cows would have loved it last week to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Nice set up there, would love to build a on a greenfield site like that as opposed the fitting extensions on older buildings. Got a shot of those easyfix cubicles for one of the dry cow pens, they're a grand job. Was talking to the advisor later on about them as he had been in the states for a bit and the opinion of the farmers he had spoke to about them was that cows tended to lie a bit too diagonally hence making them a bit dirter than the steel ones, esp for milkers. He didn't mention anything about injuriers or otherwise. I think one of them had a cubicle which was a combo of plastic and steel which gave enuv flexibilty but obv less that the easyfix ones

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    Nice set up there, would love to build a on a greenfield site like that as opposed the fitting extensions on older buildings. Got a shot of those easyfix cubicles for one of the dry cow pens, they're a grand job. Was talking to the advisor later on about them as he had been in the states for a bit and the opinion of the farmers he had spoke to about them was that cows tended to lie a bit too diagonally hence making them a bit dirter than the steel ones, esp for milkers. He didn't mention anything about injuriers or otherwise. I think one of them had a cubicle which was a combo of plastic and steel which gave enuv flexibilty but obv less that the easyfix ones

I was very impressed with them, they would be a lot cheaper I'd imagine? There was the odd one sitting a bit bent but nothing major, how well do they last??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement