Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather in the Media: TV, TABLOIDS etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dreadful scenes coming out of Israel with wildfires burning out of control.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/801769435971420160

https://twitter.com/Ostrov_A/status/801775850349858816

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Australia's Bizarre Outbreak: What Is 'Thunderstorm Asthma'?
    Hundreds of people in Melbourne, Australia, experienced breathing problems during a recent storm, in what's being called an outbreak of "thunderstorm asthma." But what's behind this rare phenomenon?

On Monday (Nov. 21) evening, the ambulance service in Melbourne, called Ambulance Victoria, received more than 1,800 calls during the storm, which is about six times more than usual, according to the BBC.

About 200 calls were for cases of asthma, and 600 calls were for people with breathing difficulties, Mick Stephenson, executive director of emergency operations at Ambulance Victoria, told the BBC. "A lot of people who called last night had never had asthma before," Stephenson was quoted as saying. There were also two deaths from asthma during the storm. [9 Myths About Seasonal Allergies]

Similar events have been reported in England, Canada, Italy and the United States. For example, during a heavy thunderstorm in 1994 in London, 640 patients with asthma or breathing difficulties visited the emergency room — a number 10 times higher than the expected number of asthma patients on a given day, according to a 2012 review. About 280 of those patients had never had asthma before.

Many people who experience "thunderstorm asthma" have a common condition known as hay fever, in which they are allergic to pollen or other substances in the air, according to the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA).

It's thought that these outbreaks occur because, during thunderstorms, pollen grains rapidly absorb water and rupture, leading to the release of hundreds of small particles into the air, ASCIA says. These particles can penetrate deep into people's lungs and trigger asthma attacks, ASCIA says. Some outbreaks of thunderstorm asthma have also been linked with increased levels of fungal spores in the air.

It's also thought that gusty winds in thunderstorms help to spread pollen particles and other allergy-inducing substances. A 2008 study that looked at emergency room visits in Atlanta over a 10-year period found that there were 3 percent more visits for asthma on days following thunderstorms. The link between asthma visits and thunderstorms was strongest when the wind gusts during the storm were intermediate to high, the study found.

It's suspected that the outbreak in Melbourne was caused by high levels of ryegrass pollen, the BBC said. On Monday, the level of rye-pollen particles in the air was more than double the level that's typically considered high, the BBC said.

People with asthma triggered by pollen can take asthma medications to prevent or treat their symptoms, ASCIA says.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australias-bizarre-outbreak-thunderstorm-asthma-222200508.html

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Ozone (O3) from electrical strikes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone#Ozone_air_pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Coldest freeze in 53 years on its way...
    :D

weather-forecast-coldest-winter

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/742699/Snow-UK-weather-forecast-coldest-winter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

God bless the express! :p It wouldn't be winter or summer without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

mikeecho wrote: »
    Coldest freeze in 53 years on its way...
    :D

weather-forecast-coldest-winter

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/742699/Snow-UK-weather-forecast-coldest-winter
    soon as I seen James Madden name I closed it....hopefully they're right 😀

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    soon as I seen James Madden name I closed it....hopefully they're right 😀

Better chance of it raining money than record snow storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can they not be removed for being completely misleading?

I suppose in an ideal world, the people who keep reading and believing these stories would screw on their head properly and realise they are being fed tabloid ****e.

In an ideal world....

Wave taller than a six-storey building sets 'remarkable' world record
    UN weather agency recorded 62ft wave in February 2013 in the North Atlantic, in a remote spot between Great Britain and Iceland after a strong cold front

A towering 19-meter (62.3ft) wave in the North Atlantic has set a world record as the highest ever measured by a buoy, according to the UN’s weather agency.

An automated buoy measured the wave at a remote spot between Great Britain and Iceland on 4 February 2013 at 6.00 GMT, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Tuesday.

Taller than a six-storey building, the huge wave occurred after a “very strong cold front” passed through the area, with winds of up to 43.8 knots (50.4mph).

“This is the first time we have ever measured a wave of 19 meters. It is a remarkable record,” the WMO assistant secretary general, Wenjian Zhang, said in the statement.

Classified as “the highest significant wave height as measured by a buoy” by the WMO Commission for Climatology’s Extremes Evaluation Committee, the wave crushed the previous record of 18.275 meters (59.96ft), measured in December 2007 in the North Atlantic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/13/highest-ever-wave-sets-record-iceland-britain-north-atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Remarkable only because it's not a record, despite the widespread media coverage!
    Feb 3, 2014
    Met Éireann, which recorded a new maximum wave height of 23.4 metres off the northwest coast, says high wind and rain are set to return in coming days.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/batten-down-the-hatches-more-rain-and-gales-are-coming-1.1677022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Dane Obedient Mustang

Honestly think the Express folks are smoking some wacky stuff, or just depleting the Xmas Gin stocks early.

On their weather page it has both opposing stories running:

A). No sign of a white Christmas
    B). Wall of SNOW to SMASH UK as deadly blizzards hit in COLDEST freeze for 53 YEARS

For a change, their main story isn't for an impending war with Ruska, instead today it's with China!

Their other 'sci-fi news' includes a lady out for a stroll on Mars, and asteroid 2016 XK18 due to skim ('1.3 million miles away') earth in 4 days.

Hard to believe they still shift around 432,000 daily papers in the UK. Sales are declining so guess that's the logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Anyone else think Joanna Donnelly is very good on the Met Eireann weather forecast on the TV?
    She's really getting into her stride now and is very good at explaining the different weather conditions.

:):)

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Joanna Donnelly is very good on the Met Eireann weather forecast on the TV?
    She's really getting into her stride now and is very good at explaining the different weather conditions.

:):)

I find it very hard to listen to, Joanna seems to struggle with the longer sentences and sort of slows to 1 word a second/stops mid sentence. Personally she wouldn't be my favourite forecaster.

It does show that RTE seem to care more about the qualifications of the forecaster than whether she has a TV face or not, which I suppose is a good thing because I've seen some fairly clueless forecasters on other stations who haven't a clue what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It does show that RTE seem to care more about the qualifications of the forecaster than whether she has a TV face or not,

Eh? What?! pmsl. Wtf more like. lol

engol wrote: »
    Eh? What?! pmsl. Wtf more like. lol

Don't go into too much detail anyway.

It does show that RTE seem to care more about the qualifications of the forecaster than whether she has a TV face or not.

Ok, do you want to explain this comment then? What are you saying exactly here? That there's a standard minimum attractiveness required for broadcasting the weather forecast on tv and in your opinion this forecaster hasn't met it?

Because that, is one seriously ****ed up comment right there.

engol wrote: »
    Ok, do you want to explain this comment then? What are you saying exactly here? That there's a standard minimum attractiveness required for broadcasting the weather forecast on tv and in your opinion this forecaster hasn't met it?

Because that, is one seriously ****ed up comment right there.

Oh dear God. Where did I mention that she's unattractive? I've heard letting your imagination run wild but this really takes the biscuit.

I've explained why I don't think she is the best for TV, mainly the almost reluctance to say a sentence consistently and usually quite a good few (corrected) mistakes throughout the forecast. These have obviously overlooked by the fact that she is a very knowledgeable forecast who knows what shes talking about, which is more valuable.

Maybe you should read posts before going off on wild accusations.

Oh dear God. Where did I mention that she's unattractive? I've heard letting your imagination run wild but this really takes the biscuit.

I've explained why I don't think she is the best for TV, mainly the almost reluctance to say a sentence consistently and usually quite a good few (corrected) mistakes throughout the forecast. These have obviously overlooked by the fact that she is a very knowledgeable forecast who knows what shes talking about, which is more valuable.

Maybe you should read posts before going off on wild accusations.

Hardly a wild accusation. You used the words "tv face".

Anyway. Never mind. Your opinion on someone else meeting a standard for having a face for tv or not, at the end of the day is massive irrelevant.

Edited in the light of day and some more sensible retrospection to say, sorry, I get where you're coming from. I'm sensitive to women being regarded as in some how needing to meet a standard of attractiveness/interest of dress that men do not ever even need to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Anyone that goes into more detail on a forecast gets a vote from me.

I'm kind of sorry I said anything now.
    But I just wanted to give praise to where praise was due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

nice sign off on the radio 1 weather by Joanna tonight, may the force be with you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Strong winds blowing a lot of sand /dust off the Sahara onto the Canaries recently.

Today

3Uxmynp.jpg?3

mbFz6QZ.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Christopher Slow Mouthpiece

Strong winds blowing a lot of sand /dust off the Sahara onto the Canaries recently.

Today

3Uxmynp.jpg?3

mbFz6QZ.gif

Will that convert to warmer temperatures?

Will that convert to warmer temperatures?

Not really, the canaries have been doing a steady 19c/20c lately so nothing out of the ordinary, although it would be very dry with no chance of rain, except maybe northern Tenerife.

'Thundersnow' set to wallop Ireland as temperatures plummet in icy Arctic winds
    Snow is set to fall across Ireland and could bring with it the rare 'thundersnow' phenomenon

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-weather-thundersnow-set-wallop-9601085

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hooter23 wrote: »
    'Thundersnow' set to wallop Ireland as temperatures plummet in icy Arctic winds
    Snow is set to fall across Ireland and could bring with it the rare 'thundersnow' phenomenon

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-weather-thundersnow-set-wallop-9601085

Better chance of me winning the lotto than the mirror nailing their weather predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Joanne Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

glossy wrote: »
    Joanne Donnelly

Joanna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Just thought I'd share this little gem :D

Officers urge popular weatherman Barra Best to hand himself in over false snow promises

He's snowwhere to be found...

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/officers-urge-popular-weatherman-barra-9626760#rlabs=1%20rt$sitewide%20p$7

Advertisement