Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Can anyone recommend a similar runner to the Nike LunarGlide 3? Need to replace these with something for the long runs and want to try something else...

Not sure what Nike's flagship marathon trainer is at the moment though..??

nellocono wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a similar runner to the Nike LunarGlide 3? Need to replace these with something for the long runs and want to try something else...

Not sure what Nike's flagship marathon trainer is at the moment though..??

Lunarfly 2? lighter than Lunarglide by a couple of ounces but still has good cushioning for long runs. Not as much stability as Lunarglide 3 if that's what your looking for.

Never seen this model before.Let us know how you get on with them.
    Vibram outsole should wear well but the red rubber I could see wearing off in the toe off area,what is the eva like?

I have returned these to amazon, citing this reason (toe-area wear). I did one short run and it was clear that this area was going to rip up.
    I've ordered new balance minimus MR00 instead.
    Got to love the amazon efficiency -> free postage for return, immediate refund through account credit so you can order the new product straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    A lovelingly patched up pair of Asics Cumulus 12's which have served me well over past 12 months, on all runs from short road runs to long hilly climbs with a few trails thrown in.
    The dreaded big toe hole appeared two weeks ago, but i got some duct tape advice from a good buddy ( you know who you are! :pac:)
    Bowed to pressure, from body ,and wife..and bought a pair of Nike Pegasus 28.Two medium runs in, still not used to them...:(

4 months of long runs, and I'll be glad to see the back of the , pegasus's ( try saying that with your tongue stuck to your pallet:pac:).
    Never really fell in love with them unlike the earlier cumulus12's.
    Was going to try brooks ghost , but will probably go for the cumulus13's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

glasso wrote: »
    Lunarfly 2? lighter than Lunarglide by a couple of ounces but still has good cushioning for long runs. Not as much stability as Lunarglide 3 if that's what your looking for.
    Im in the 3s as well,tried on the lunarfly,felt different?

• Advertisement

I haven't tried the Lunarfly myself as I can't find a running shop in cork that has them in stock... I will prob get the kinvara 3s soon and see if they are suitable for me for long runs

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Sorry for jumpin on thread, does anyone here who use Lunarglides find them a bit small on fit. I'm normally a 9 in Asics but found my toes crunched in Lunarglide 9, went for 9.5 feels much looser on toes??

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Sorry for jumpin on thread, does anyone here who use Lunarglides find them a bit small on fit. I'm normally a 9 in Asics but found my toes crunched in Lunarglide 9, went for 9.5 feels much looser on toes??
    I went from a 10 in Asics to a 10 in the lunarglides.Whereas i found them to be a different fit they loosened a bit after use but are still a snug fit without being uncomfortable.Out of curiousity,is there much of a difference between the half size?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

TBH I found the 9 very tight across the toes with a bit of space left in front of big toe, I would say it was more than snug as you could see my baby toe bulging out the side of shoe. On the half size extra, toes didn't seem as crunched together and the tip seemed to extend marginally further. The 9 felt ok on length but not in width, only hope the extra half size to gain on width doesn't kill me on length. I have absolutely no heel slip on the bigger size, and normally wear 1000mile socks which are quiet thick. Fingers crossed!!

tommyh1977 wrote: »

when I had them found them big - 8.5 would have done me instead of 9 which I normally take in runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭event

Thought id post in here rather than a new thread.
    Do a good bit of running, though longest distance would be around 10k. i think my current pair have given up the ghost, holes appearing now. they are an asics pair, nothing fancy i think cost €60 on elverys. never had gait done, they seem a normal enough pair. i only ever do road running.

Any recommendations on a new pair?

Thought id post in here rather than a new thread.
    Do a good bit of running, though longest distance would be around 10k. i think my current pair have given up the ghost, holes appearing now. they are an asics pair, nothing fancy i think cost €60 on elverys. never had gait done, they seem a normal enough pair. i only ever do road running.

Any recommendations on a new pair?

It's not really a good idea for anyone on here to recommend a pair of runners for you if we dont know your gait and foot type. What I would recommend is to go to a reputable running shop (not Elverys) and get the gait done...they will be able to recommend the best runners for you then...

If you are not willing to do the above, then I could only take a guess and recommend another pair of Asics for you - the GT-2170. These are highly cushioned and also have some stability and are one of the most popular shoes on the market which cater for one of the largest segment of runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Im debating trying the Mizuno prophecy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Im debating trying the Mizuno prophecy :eek:

Ah, they burn my eyes. They look like they weight as much as I do.

Going the other way I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Bikilas as warm weather causal shoes that I might do the odd bit of running in too.

Going the other way I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Bikilas as warm weather causal shoes that I might do the odd bit of running in too.

I'm not sure that that's a great option for prolonged wear - apparently vibrams have a big problem with getting really smelly.

I'm not sure that that's a great option for prolonged wear - apparently vibrams have a big problem with getting really smelly.

How bad? They're machine washable so at least that would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Just got a pair of these with 20% off, which was nice. They are a little present to myself for the start of training for DCM next week.

Just got a pair of these with 20% off, which was nice. They are a little present to myself for the start of training for DCM next week.

bought the same ones - got them delivered today so will try out this eve (returned Merrell Bare Access as the design was bad - soft eva around toe area ripping up after first run - needs durable rubber in that area)- did you use the 20% off shoes/clothing link that I posted? They are very minimal and 0 drop so I'm going to build up slowly with these.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Two options, get the injini toe socks which help stop the smell or just wash them.

I've been running in the Bikalas for 3 months now and find them great, personally I would recommend the TrekSports for light running and using as casual shoes.

They look bulky heavy but feellight on(relative to how they look)
    The Mizuno creation on the other handIcan't stand,allthe technolgy in the shoe promotes a hellstrikeandyou actually sit down in the shoe.

The prophecy seems to promote your foot forward with the full length wave.Not a shoe for everyone but I wear inserts(michael davis) which are asoft insert so the fit is very important as the inserts are bulky.

Just a note on minimal shoes,i find alot of people think they run forefoot but when they see a video or actaully looked at the wear on their shoes they would think different.
    What are you wearing for training BTH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭event

nellocono wrote: »
    It's not really a good idea for anyone on here to recommend a pair of runners for you if we dont know your gait and foot type. What I would recommend is to go to a reputable running shop (not Elverys) and get the gait done...they will be able to recommend the best runners for you then...

If you are not willing to do the above, then I could only take a guess and recommend another pair of Asics for you - the GT-2170. These are highly cushioned and also have some stability and are one of the most popular shoes on the market which cater for one of the largest segment of runners.

hey, thanks for the reply.

its not that im not willing to get GAIT done, its a bit of a pain. have checked local places and there's only elverys (which people say no). otherwise its a trip to dublin.

Just checked and the ones i have are Asics GT 2150. Are the 2170 much better than those?

thanks again

Just a note on minimal shoes,i find alot of people think they run forefoot but when they see a video or actaully looked at the wear on their shoes they would think different.
    What are you wearing for training BTH?

Training in kinvara 2s and NB 1080v2s and race in type A5s all of which you sold me!! :D:D zero wear in the heel of the kinvaras despite extensive forefoot wear so I'm fairly confident about my stride. Chatting to AmpKingWest in Athy at the weekend he said you guys don't really have much stock of the vibrams left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

bought the same ones - got them delivered today so will try out this eve (returned Merrell Bare Access as the design was bad - soft eva around toe area ripping up after first run - needs durable rubber in that area)- did you use the 20% off shoes/clothing link that I posted? They are very minimal and 0 drop so I'm going to build up slowly with these.

Yes, thanks. Signed up, got the discount and signed off again...:D

did a few k in the new balance mr00 - bit of cushion in them but still feel the surface in them. pretty small to size but that may be 'cos they are designed to have the option of going sockless. like them but will up the distance only gradually.

Training in kinvara 2s and NB 1080v2s and race in type A5s all of which you sold me!! :D:D zero wear in the heel of the kinvaras despite extensive forefoot wear so I'm fairly confident about my stride. Chatting to AmpKingWest in Athy at the weekend he said you guys don't really have much stock of the vibrams left.

I think I have sold runners to half the country at this stage :eek:

Not as many people looking for Vibrams and they are discounted online alot.
    Have full size run in kso !!!

liamog wrote: »
    Two options, get the injini toe socks which help stop the smell or just wash them.

I've been running in the Bikalas for 3 months now and find them great, personally I would recommend the TrekSports for light running and using as casual shoes.

Cheers, just had a look at them there, could be what I'm looking for. Lighter upper than the Bikila so shouldn't stink up as quick. Looks like 53DegreesNorth are the only place with a decent stock of Vibrams these days so reckon I need to take a trip out there. Thanks

ust checked and the ones i have are Asics GT 2150. Are the 2170 much better than those?

Not sure to be honest as I have had neither, but I would presume they haven't changed much as it is one of their best selling shoe lines so they try to leave it as is. There might be more gel cushioning or something but if you have had the 2150's then I say you wouldn't go far wrong with the 2170.

If you aren't getting the gait checked then at least go into a running shop and try on a few different pairs and choose what you think is most comfortable for you. I generally wear Nike for long runs as I like the flexibility and fit of Nike runners and find Asics to hard and rigid for me. Most people I know who run in Asics wouldn't change to any other brand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

has anyone any experience with the asics gel hyper 33? Looking at them on wiggle where they are €40 cheaper than champion

has anyone any experience with the asics gel hyper 33? Looking at them on wiggle where they are €40 cheaper than champion

Would also like to try these as they seem to be light and flexible - crazy price on them though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

€91 delivered from www.wiggle.co.uk...€130 in champion

Advertisement