Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 3x13 - 'That Hope Is You, Part 2' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The sphere data will have to play a bigger role in season 4 surely. I still think they’ll do a Borg storyline. We know for sure Burnham will save the Federation/Galaxy/Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Please don't bring the Borg into disco. Do they want to ruin everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

GSPfan wrote: »
    The sphere data will have to play a bigger role in season 4 surely. I still think they’ll do a Borg storyline. We know for sure Burnham will save the Federation/Galaxy/Universe.

They were essentially expendable robotic Porgs. An absolute waste. I'd rather they'd not acknowledged it at all this season (beyond the computer giving Saru weird answers that time), if they were just going to infantalize it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Atrocious.

Though at times at least I couldn't hear the horrendous dialogue over the sounds of my own internal screaming.

Ah well, as I said a few episodes ago, this is the end of the Discovery journey for me. I could have just about stuck with the CW emotional teen approach, if it wasn't executed so poorly. The writing, the lack of character development, the headache inducing and counter productive cinematography - spinning and twirling randomly through episodes like a child on a sugar high... it's all just baffling, and disappointing.

(p.s. Where the bejesus was the rest of the crew throughout all this!? Y'know, all those no-name schlubs that left their families and risked their lives travelling a thousand years into the future for a lady who doesn't give a fuck about them?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Atrocious.

Though at times at least I couldn't hear the horrendous dialogue over the sounds of my own internal screaming.

Ah well, as I said a few episodes ago, this is the end of the Discovery journey for me. I could have just about stuck with the CW emotional teen approach, if it wasn't executed so poorly. The writing, the lack of character development, the headache inducing and counter productive cinematography - spinning and twirling randomly through episodes like a child on a sugar high... it's all just baffling, and disappointing.

That ****ing camera twirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe the sphere needs a human interface.
    Oh, I know
    4janet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Rawr

flazio wrote: »
    Maybe the sphere needs a human interface.
    Oh, I know
    4janet.jpg

I would love Star Trek to have a Janice. Would have instantly improved Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

I love all trek, Archer, Jane way love them all.

That was not trek. Fast and furious with the 57,000 mile runway reminded me of.

Grrrrr at it.

'let's fly'

All the words in the language

ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

somuj wrote: »
    I love all trek, Archer, Jane way love them all.

That was not trek. Fast and furious with the 57,000 mile runway reminded me of.

Grrrrr at it.

'let's fly'

All the words in the language

ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Yeah I'm not sure 'let's fly' works i mean this ship mostly seems to travel by spinning through some magic mushrooms and appearing instantly at it's location.
    No flying involved, or is there? I'm not too up on how that mycelium network functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

De Bhál wrote: »
    Probably one of the better episodes of this season i thought . The bar was touching the ground the standard was so low.
    Saru dealing with yer man was nicely done. He's an excellent actor, and it only hit me when he's out of kelpian costume how good.

Burnham breaking Book out the back door of the torture scene was laughable. Then the whole turbo lift scene, like something you'd see on a mission impossible tom cruise movie.
    Flying turbolifts, I have no idea what that was about. I actually at the time thought they were outside the ship but within that Federation bubble thing. But no, apparently not, turns out Discovery is hollow or something.

Wheelchair orion guy now part of the crew is he? Another box ticked I suppose.

Gray Adira stuff, just fast forward through that ****e.

Green witch gone thankfully.

Cannot get worse so I will tune in next season.

I really with they could let Adira have a storyline about getting over Grey rather than trying to revive her.

As for wheelchair guy the actor Kenneth Mitchell played some of the main Klingons in the first 2 seasons but then got ALS and they didn't want to just sack him because of it so ide say fair play to them there.

Overall they seem completely unable to portray emotion in a mature way and it feels like we have gotten the writers from From Glee, Sabrina or some other teen drama

• Advertisement

So...watched that final episode, which frankly should actually be a final episode. For crying out loud they had a Roddenberry quote and the TOS theme at the end.

Captain Michael Burnham...they actually did it, and with that I'm not sure if I can muster enough enthusiasm to watch further. For a season finale this episode had the same impact as a wet sponge. It wasn't a horrible episode at all, but it lacked any real impact.

I'm not a fan of those new uniforms either. I'm glad the department colours are back, but other than that they are far too bland.

I know they are filming a 4th Season, but for the life of me I can't understand why. It's a technically improved show in this season but it is still not fun to watch. Right now most of my Trek hopes lie with Kurtzman keeping well away from Season 2 of Lower Decks so that we'll get some more fun Trek when that comes out.

Rawr wrote: »
    So...watched that final episode, which frankly should actually be a final episode. For crying out loud they had a Roddenberry quote and the TOS theme at the end.

Captain Michael Burnham...they actually did it, and with that I'm not sure if I can muster enough enthusiasm to watch further. For a season finale this episode had the same impact as a wet sponge. It wasn't a horrible episode at all, but it lacked any real impact.

I'm not a fan of those new uniforms either. I'm glad the department colours are back, but other than that they are far too bland.

I know they are filming a 4th Season, but for the life of me I can't understand why. It's a technically improved show in this season but it is still not fun to watch. Right now most of my Trek hopes lie with Kurtzman keeping well away from Season 2 of Lower Decks so that we'll get some more fun Trek when that comes out.

It's sad that after 3 seasons I actually don't know what colour Detmer, Owo and the high five guys are going to be in the traditional division colours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Discovery is a cheap T-shirt with a star trek label stamped onto it. Like Picard, this abomination has sought to destroy masculinity by stamping woke gender fluidity all over it. I say this as a person who liked Voyager above the other ST series, so I have zero issue with strong female roles, but not when the males are by and large being portrayed as weak underlings who are there only to support the female cast. The most masculine role in my view is Burnhams boyfriend, but even he is there only to support her character as she transitions into the new timeline.

I find it difficult to watch and I don't find myself waiting for the next episode. I forget about it and watch an episode at random when I see it on the list. Honestly, I should have stopped watching this when I found out the lead character has a boys name. Haven't watched the last episode. Probably won't bother. I definitely won't be tuning into another season of this crap.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

This was originally meant to be a 10 episode series but they filled it out with dogsh1te to get 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

"Let's fly"

That really was the cherry-shaped turd on top of a giant turd of an episode.

Discovery is a cheap T-shirt with a star trek label stamped onto it. Like Picard, this abomination has sought to destroy masculinity by stamping woke gender fluidity all over it. I say this as a person who liked Voyager above the other ST series, so I have zero issue with strong female roles, but not when the males are by and large being portrayed as weak underlings who are there only to support the female cast. The most masculine role in my view is Burnhams boyfriend, but even he is there only to support her character as she transitions into the new timeline.

I find it difficult to watch and I don't find myself waiting for the next episode. I forget about it and watch an episode at random when I see it on the list. Honestly, I should have stopped watching this when I found out the lead character has a boys name. Haven't watched the last episode. Probably won't bother. I definitely won't be tuning into another season of this crap.
    You don't see Saru, Staments and Culber as men? Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

The frustrating thing about this show is that it wouldn’t take much to improve it. So much potential lost. I tolerate a lot of poor shows, but even I find myself rolling my eyes at all the tears, everyone looking at Burnham with starry eyes as she saves the day and all the whispering.

Just to add, there was only one emergency rebreather available, on the tardis, sorry, starship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Was this supposed to be a series finale, not just a season finale? Because it felt quite rushed and seemed to be attempting to tie up multiple plot points. Maybe it had been cancelled and revived in the background?

I have seen worse Star Trek episodes, but this will not be one I plan on rewatching. I don't want to come across as too critical, there were some good storylines there but they did not pull it off.

The Burn being caused by a child was a very Star Trek concept, they just didn't make a Star Trek story out of it. If it was me, rather than making it a season long mystery about the entire universe, I'd have made it a single episode story. Maybe push to a two parter. The entire federation on the brink could have been achieved if they just said that the universe was running out of dilithium, Discovery as part of an armada rocks up to a planet with potential to resupply the fleet, switches off warp drive for plot reasons. Contact attempted with surface, all ships except Discovery explode. Saru and Culber beam down to the planet, then bad guys show up distracting Discovery. We have the scenes play out on the surface, and on the ship we have Tilly attempting to negotiate with the bad guy. Saru sorts out the kid, but they can't contact Discovery and radiation sickness is starting to take hold. Meanwhile back on the ship bad guy is attacking but Tilly remembers something that happened when she was back at the academy, (when she was almost a year younger). Deus ex machina, bad guy shakes fist and shouts "next time Discovery, next time!" then warps away. Saru, Culber and the child beamed back to the ship and Detmer is ordered to set course for Kaminar.

Final scene, Saru and bridge crew are discussing episode and Saru makes some sort of comment of how an innocent child could cause so much destruction without meaning it. Everyone laughs. Then the Gene Roddenberry quote appears on screen and the closing music plays.

I switch off, tell my wife it was a solid season finale, look forward to next year and carry on with my life.

PS Michael Burnham died on the way back to her home planet.

What happened to the melody storyline? I’m assuming it was a lullaby that kid knew and some bollox about dilitium sub space transmitted it to everyone subconsciously but did they actually reference it before the end of the season?

If you’re going to try call someone out on something then at least make sure you reference something they said or meant. Neither of those things apply to your comment.

• Advertisement

I generally agree with you in terms of the lack of heterosexual “normal everyday men” types in this season. There has been those types in previous seasons. Pike and Spock last season would fall into that category. Lorca and Tyler from season 1. You could say Admiral Vance fits the bill this season and up until the second half of the season when they made Saru an emotional wreck he was the strong male lead.

I think the problem with this show is not that there are no male leads that aren’t in some way inferior to females, it’s that there are no lead characters who aren’t inferior to Michael fookin Burnham.

I have no problem with every character being gender fluid, gay, straight, inter-species, whatever. I have a huge problem with everyone of those categories being represented on a military style futuristic space ship as being a quivering wreck of emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What happened to the melody storyline? I’m assuming it was a lullaby that kid knew and some bollox about dilitium sub space transmitted it to everyone subconsciously but did they actually reference it before the end of the season?

Adira and Stamets explained it, What they thought was a lullaby was the distress beacon refracted by the nebula that somehow subliminally picked up by various species, and over the 100 years or so it was broadcast, turned into music/lullaby.

If you’re going to try call someone out on something then at least make sure you reference something they said or meant. Neither of those things apply to your comment.
    If I tried to directly call out the tones of trans and homophobia I perceived in the post. I'd probably be accused of being one of the "woke".
    Star Trek doesn't need a heterosexual flirt anymore to "tick a box" as to what belongs on Star Trek.

Sarn wrote: »
    The frustrating thing about this show is that it wouldn’t take much to improve it. So much potential lost. I tolerate a lot of poor shows, but even I find myself rolling my eyes at all the tears, everyone looking at Burnham with starry eyes as she saves the day and all the whispering.

Just to add, there was only one emergency rebreather available, on the tardis, sorry, starship?

With the tech they have there should be a little pack that turns into a full space suit in seconds. These lads don't have a clue how to write sci-fi like this

"Let's fly"

That really was the cherry-shaped turd on top of a giant turd of an episode.

So many people on Trek sites who rate every episode as a 10/10 talking about how cool that was.

It sounds rubbish

PS Michael Burnham died on the way back to her home planet.

:D

Here's some exclusive CGI of that scene:
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What a pathetic attempt of claiming some sort of "insert"-phobia into what I said. I am none of these, though I do have a problem with the stomping out of iconic characters like Picard and the sudden transformation of Seven into a lesbian in the final second of Picard....with no explanation or back story.

Saru, Staments and Culber are all men, but are far from being masculine men. Saru is weak and on a number of occasions was shown to question his place as captain. His authority undermined by Burnham at every opportunity and her actions always justified.

Staments function is a glorified auto-pilot who becomes the wise counsellor to a teenager who identifies as a "they" who has a dead feminine boyfriend. Culber is a supporting character to Staments, serving little more purpose in the series than being the lover of Staments. Otherwise he is a third rate character.

There is a lot of LGBTQ representation in the show, but it adds almost nothing to the storyline and serves as empty filler and box ticking most of the time. The cost is that we lose strong masculine-male characters, of which we had few to begin with in s1 and 2.

Stay Free

What a pathetic attempt of claiming some sort of "insert"-phobia into what I said. I am none of these, though I do have a problem with the stomping out of iconic characters like Picard and the sudden transformation of Seven into a lesbian in the final second of Picard....with no explanation or back story.

Saru, Staments and Culber are all men, but are far from being masculine men. Saru is weak and on a number of occasions was shown to question his place as captain. His authority undermined by Burnham at every opportunity and her actions always justified.

Staments function is a glorified auto-pilot who becomes the wise counsellor to a teenager who identifies as a "they" who has a dead feminine boyfriend. Culber is a supporting character to Staments, serving little more purpose in the series than being the lover of Staments. Otherwise he is a third rate character.

There is a lot of LGBTQ representation in the show, but it adds almost nothing to the storyline and serves as empty filler and box ticking most of the time. The cost is that we lose strong masculine-male characters, of which we had few to begin with in s1 and 2.

To begin with what's a masculine male ?

And rant on all you want I don't think anyone is gonna believe you don't have an agenda here

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I enjoyed the episode overall, more than most others this season. I'm even willing to accept the magic science to explain the burn, and that explains why Booker can fly the spore drive.

Not happy about Burnham as Captain, doesn't bode well for next season. Also the dead boyfriend manifesting as a holo. Come on ta fvck. More than happy to accept his existence as something Adira could see. Seeing visions of past hosts is well established as something that happens with Trill. But him magically appearing as a sentient separate holo, just turns it into a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

Thank God this season is over. After two good seasons delving into the origins of Star Trek characters and storylines and having a grand vision for a wider universe this season felt like something 10 mates slapped together in their basement. They clearly had no idea what the story arc was to be after the end of Season 2 and it showed.

Hopefully they kill it now and go back to focus on Pike and Spock.

Advertisement