Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 3x13 - 'That Hope Is You, Part 2' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Words fail me . Where to start . The wheel spinning of the planet side stuff, that served only to make explicit what had already been implied in the last episode, that Suka'l caused the burn . This all could have been covered in one episode if they hadn't pissed about in the mirror universe for 2. They completely piss away the only interesting idea they'd had from the last episode, that the Chain was a civilization in its own right, that Osyraa had superiors, and wasn't just the leader of a crime Syndicate, and turned her back into a hammy villain. The episode is needlessly long for what it needs to do. The utterly ridiculous turbo lift set piece was pure Droid factory in AoTC sfx setpiece, for the sake of sfx setpiece. It went on for far too long, serving only to highlight the ridiculous tardis nature of Discovery . There wouldn't be that much internal space in a Borg Cube FFS.

As for Burnham ending up in the captains chair. I don't think she deserves it , but at least it solves the problem of her undermining every commanding officer she's served under. The buck stops with her now. Her monologue about connection was suitably grandiose as it typical of this show . Every episode next season will no doubt start with her waxing lyrical about one thing or another in her captains log. Tearing up at her own profound words .

Please god they go down an episodic route next season, as they are utterly hopeless at threading the needle between servicing the seasons arc and its characters in a serialised format with so few episodes.

Sidenote: the new uniforms are hideous.

This boots looked ill fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So dead trill doesn't want to dead anymore and somehow can be made real on a Holodeck.

And now they are going to find away to make him a real boy.

Didn't DS9 cover this with Odo and Kerzon where it would kill Dax or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So stammets can get his own ship now and they can have two ships with spore drives.

Him and his blended family can go off around the galaxy on family picnics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

liamtech wrote: »
    TIP: If like me, you are finding it difficult to watch/finish - then take it from me: the last 10 minutes are more predictable than a match between Bayern Munich and Finn Harps

First, as a Donegal man, Hey!
    :pac:

So why wasn't that scientist/doctor guy beamed off the ship with the rest of the soldiers?
    And why did they eject the core if they could just jump anyway?
    After it was pointed out last week that Osyrra was basically a member of the Chain and not a leader, the whole Chain falls apart without her?
    Why did all of the bridge crew have to go and plant the bomb when Owo could do it by herself once they got the parts?
    Was thinking of the eulogy for Owo "She grew up on a farm and she could hold her breath for 10 minutes".
    Why was Michael already sitting in the Captain 's chair while Saru was still there?

I really find it weird that Culber and Stamets are treating Adira like their child. And how Culber hugged Gray.
    And then of course, how is Gray there? If a hologram, why not just bring him back on a holodeck or use a mobile emitter like The Doctor from Voyager had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just finished to the episode. My wife picked up a cushion and screamed into it with frustration and I shouted "get the ****" at the TV while rage unlisting it from my Netflix account.

Trek fan for the past 40 years and this is the worst thing they have put the name to. Gene Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave.

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just finished to the episode. My wife picked up a cushion and screamed into it with frustration and I shouted "get the ****" at the TV while rage unlisting it from my Netflix account.

Trek fan for the past 40 years and this is the worst thing they have put the name to. Gene Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave.

She's still walking around the house mumbling to herself about it :pac:

I fear there has been irreversible damage done .

Is she a trek fan or are you to blame so can be held accountable for her frustration?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The comments on this thread have been x100 more entertaining than the show!

I decided weeks ago that if Michael ended up as captain I was done. Unfortunately Discovery is a Daddy And Son programme for me and my 12 year old and he'snot so discerning. I'll have to hide s4 from him somehow

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is she a trek fan or are you to blame so can be held accountable for her frustration?

Yes a fan , not a big of a one as me but she's watched it a long time.

It felt like a finale from the way it ended. Or setup for a new beginning.
    "Michael Burnham presents Michael Burnham in Michael Burnham's Star Trek Discovery. Starring Michael Burnham."

What was that thing in the data core that she was pushed into? Just made me think "Now they're really making her Superman from Superman 3"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Will Starfleet now adopt the "shoot up a canister of pesticide" tactic to destroy whole fleets of starships? To go through those ventilation shafts that open to a vacuum. Around ships with shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ha ha, I just remembered my favourite part, when they detach the nacelle and the spaceship skids... in space.
    I was just waiting to hear a shriek of tyres it was so bad!

Special mention to the new pyjamas they all seem to be wearing.

Will Starfleet now adopt the "shoot up a canister of pesticide" tactic to destroy whole fleets of starships? To go through those ventilation shafts that open to a vacuum. Around ships with shields.
    But not into Discovery itself... Interesting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sorry was there an emergency quarantine field that let people through an open door? When Michael and book escape
    Michael saves the day
    Why is grey a person. Stahp
    "his scream must have travelled at the resonant frequency of dilithium" oh god be with the days of just reversing the polarity!!
    Owo saves the day! I am impressed! Gwan Owo
    How can the viewscreen eat michael
    Initial reaction "ffs tilly" but I suppose last time she was in charge they wrecked the gaff
    I'm okay with Book being able to jump the ship, they laid enough groundwork for it with him

I love saru
    Look lads at least burnham didn't cause the burn yea??

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sorry was there an emergency quarantine field that let people through an open door?

I was thinking the same but I reckon Burnham put osyrab and yer man in a field, not herself and book.

Though she also told everyone what she was and to do before doing it, which is pathetically stupid unless you are Rick Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

What a dreadful pile of sh1t the whole discovery saga has been. I’ll bet Roddenberry is turning in his grave.

predictably whispering Jesus gets the captaincy. where does it go now, I don’t care cause I’m done with klutzmann trek.

So is Star Trek done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So is Star Trek done ?

Still plenty to look forward to. And with Discovery off in the 32nd century it can just be ignored

Was that line “we see you” to Tal was fairly heavy handed

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Is this vomit? Trek, I knew how many decks, Google anuwY
    Space elavators wat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭squonk

I have to second everything else that was said here. I’m particularly annoyed by Tilly just giving up the captaincy just, because! For god sake, after watching years of TNG! TOS, DS9, ENT and even Voyager, The one constant is that being the guy sitting in that chair is the important thing. What Tilly did was pathetic.

I said to a friend of mine who I discuss the episodes with that if Burnham becomes captain, I’m out. So I’m pretty much done now. I won’t watch a show where Saru is relegated to first officer. Not anymore. From what I’d seen he was a good captain.

The sad thing is that, obvious crap aside, the two episodes before hand were pretty entertaining.

Time to look forward to the pike series and Picard season 2 perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Just watched it. That was genuinely awful. Seriously bad. Like, spectacularly bad. It's Shades of Grey bad.

When Owo says "I love you" to her passed out crewmates.

Was the hologram of the mother explaining the burn meant to be a reveal? Didn't they tell us that with him getting upset and sending a shockwave? Clearly it was his mum dying like. Was that meant to be a twist?

Why did the holo monster attack Burnham last ep but was now OK? It was meant to test Sukal, so why attack a randomer?

What the absolute hell was that turbolift? That fantastic scene in the Trek movies of the lads climbing the ladder... And they give us this? Even Jean Luc with the kids had a great turbo lift scene. That's not how turbolifts work?! I thought maybe that's the new transport to the detached nacelles.... But nope... Data core.

Why does the data core look like that? What was she pushed into. Why would they have a wall that might attack people. Why would Osira think that might have killed Burnham?

Book is able to just fly... Because he can feel like an animal... Despite the fact that the whole point was Stamets merging with the DNA meant he got like a genetic internal map. Was this actually feelings win over facts?

Gray. Just go fck off. Why are you on the bridge. Why are you a thing. Just get the absolute. And why did Culber give them a creepy hug too.

Michael. Oh Michael. Just everything you did, everything that happened. "you taught us about ourselves" from the admiral. No, she is a sap. Get a uniform that fits! Why doesn't the sassy engineer call her out on her sht.

I've never been so unhappy with stuff, not since the end of Got. I was so happy with Lower Decks. That was amazing, really good stuff. I just feel so let down. I feel like the lad in the pub saying "not in my day" but I'm in my 30s like. It's aggravating.

And to the guy talking about his wife and the pillow... My wife gave up half way through season 2 and thinks I'm a masochist for going back. I'm off to get drunk and watch YouTube compilations of good trek.

And I loved the reboot movie (the first one!)

Whats really annoying is that a 32st C Star Trek where the Federation is in trouble, where warp has all but disappeared, all of that could have been great.

but it was bollocks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's the viewscreen monster eater raaaar

Definitely not a safety risk if you fall into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Probably one of the better episodes of this season i thought . The bar was touching the ground the standard was so low.
    Saru dealing with yer man was nicely done. He's an excellent actor, and it only hit me when he's out of kelpian costume how good.

Burnham breaking Book out the back door of the torture scene was laughable. Then the whole turbo lift scene, like something you'd see on a mission impossible tom cruise movie.
    Flying turbolifts, I have no idea what that was about. I actually at the time thought they were outside the ship but within that Federation bubble thing. But no, apparently not, turns out Discovery is hollow or something.

Wheelchair orion guy now part of the crew is he? Another box ticked I suppose.

Gray Adira stuff, just fast forward through that ****e.

Green witch gone thankfully.

Cannot get worse so I will tune in next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Smacruairi wrote: »

When Owo says "I love you" to her passed out crewmates.

Oh I fast forwarded through that muck.

Oh and Burnham also sending the coded message to Tilly,
    We're pressed for time here but gather round me while I waste it telling ye about the time I got drunk playing cards with Michael.
    Should've just said that msg was for me this is what we do.
    Maybe go back to it later when she meets Burnham

Those ambassadors arriving at starfleet HQ at the end reminded me of Witches and wizards arriving at the Ministry of Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

squonk wrote: »
    I have to second everything else that was said here. I’m particularly annoyed by Tilly just giving up the captaincy just, because! For god sake, after watching years of TNG! TOS, DS9, ENT and even Voyager, The one constant is that being the guy sitting in that chair is the important thing. What Tilly did was pathetic.

I said to a friend of mine who I discuss the episodes with that if Burnham becomes captain, I’m out. So I’m pretty much done now. I won’t watch a show where Saru is relegated to first officer. Not anymore. From what I’d seen he was a good captain.

The sad thing is that, obvious crap aside, the two episodes before hand were pretty entertaining.

Time to look forward to the pike series and Picard season 2 perhaps.

Picard is muck but unlike discovery it can’t be erased to by the franchise. Any trek kurtzmann is attached too is going to destroy the brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Nivar showed up... Did nothing. Trill Joined federation for... Dilithium? Is the federation buying people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I gave up on the season half way through, couldn't take anymore crying or bad science concepts.
    But one thing that also jarred me out of the story (apart from the crappy writing) was the special effects.
    They were awful..very soft, all over the place and cartoony, in fact I've seen other sci-fi cartoons and anime were the effects were more life-like.

Thank God for the Expanse, at least some sci-fi shows can show how it's done.

Advertisement