Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OnePlus 8/Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just a quick update, ill post some pics later! Just testing some stuff. Screen is gorgeous and smooth. It came with a preinstalled screeen protector and there was a clear case in the box. Testing the speakers. They are dual and really loud, compared to my Google Pixel 3XL they are slightly more tinny whil;e the 3xl is more bassy but they are still very clear and loud, but thr 3xl is known for its speakers

Camera wise it seems good too, unless your going to be a professional photographer then its perfect i would say, if that is what was holding you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Oh no, not the delivery posts every time a new OP phone is launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭JamBur

I've had several OnePlus phones over the years. I've upgraded nearly every second generation. So I have owned a OP1, OP3, and a OP6, which is my current phone. My usual buying habit has been to wait until October when my birthday helps me to mentally justify the purchase.

I'm one of the saps that when he upgrades, likes to have the top of the tree. I've mocked apple users over the years for paying such exorbitant amounts, the OP8 Pro price is going to hurt if I go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Three UK have it up on their website at the moment. Pro version for 945 upfront and that comes with bullets too

Three Ireland have yet to put it up

Looking at the screen issues raised, I might hold off a bit longer .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

One plus 8 pro in glacial green just arrived, such a nice colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

You register through student beans and it works :)

Im registered with them, trying to verify via students beans on the oneplus site is just throwing up an error

Beersmith wrote: »
    Im registered with them, trying to verify via students beans on the oneplus site is just throwing up an error

Not sure, I just had to enter my email/pass for student beans and it put a voucher on my account. Maybe contact support with the error?

You can register with that .edu thing, just enter your normal email and they can verify manually if you wanted, can take a week though

Think you can select the discount through the actual student beans site too

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Any issues to report about the phone, considering getting the Pro

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    Any issues to report about the phone, considering getting the Pro

Pro seems to be having some screen issues according to the forums and Reddit. OnePlus knows about it now and plans to release a software update to fix it apperantly, similar to the S20 green screen issues.

Haven't heard anything about the standard 8, I've not had any with mine either. Battery life is unreal, did a full day test and got 10hrs at 1% (doing the charging cycle calibraton so going from 100-0), charged 26 hours before and included like 3 hrs YouTube watching.

Was hoping the price from OnePlus would drop after release for either device

€719 and €919 seem odd figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

For the current or previous generation? You'd have to be a bit daft to think they'd release some top end phones and then immediately reduce the price

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For the current or previous generation? You'd have to be a bit daft to think they'd release some top end phones and then immediately reduce the price

He means that he thought the price would go back from €919 to €899

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

€719 and €919 are the prices because of Irish VAT.

€719 and €919 are the prices because of Irish VAT.

Well no, I don't think so

The UK website, is priced very much the same as ours. As is the Canadian website

The only difference I can really see is the Americans getting great deals

The UK website, is priced very much the same as ours. As is the Canadian website

Are you looking at pre sales tax prices for the US? That’s the one normally listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Have you attempted to check out on the UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Just pulled the trigger on purchasing a OnePlus 8 Pro...

The Karbon case which I usually like (I had it with my OnePlus 5) is currently sold out. Does anyone know of a good OnePlus 8 Pro case/protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

D_D wrote: »

The Karbon case which I usually like (I had it with my OnePlus 5) is currently sold out. Does anyone know of a good OnePlus 8 Pro case/protector?

Came with a cheap case in the box. I'm not really supposed to have a case on my phone at the moment as impacts on the disinfecting. I'll probably get a oneplus one over the summer

D_D wrote: »

I'm using the cyan sandstone one atm (black is the same). Nice and grippy feeling and has a bit of a rim around all for corners, but hard enough to get a nice case for curved display phones so im liking the grippyness of this

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I got the OnePlus 8.
    As background, I had the OnePlus 6 Pro and this year was using the 7 Pro. My 7 Pro had the Ghost Touch issue that OnePlus said was fixed but it persisted after all updates and meant I couldn't leave NFC enabled. So I got onto Amazon last month, told them about it and they refunded me. Absolutely great service by them.

So the options I wanted were to either buy the OnePlus 8 for pretty much the same price as my refund or add £200 and get the Pro. I wanted the Pro but the price difference was too much for me to justify and I did the opposite of OnePluses slogan and settled for the 8.

For me Wireless charging isn't something I care about at all. I charge beside the bed at night and I have a charging cable downstairs for top ups if needed and one in my car and one in my office. Similarly I don't care about the official waterproof rating. It's nice but not nice enough. I know there are other differences (screen, camera etc.) but the camera is brilliant for my uses and the screen looks great.

After researching and watching comparison videos I thought the 8 was good enough. And it is. It's a beautiful phone. I've only had it a few days but I'm happy with it. If they'd slapped the Pro badge on this I'd have been none the wiser.

The pinhole camera is distracting in day one. In day two etc. I've forgotten about it :)

• Advertisement

Just looking around and looking at the Oppo findx2 Pro

Is it my imagination or are the specs slightly better on camera and screen on the OnePlus 8 pro ?

Just seems the Oppo will have a bigger battery and faster charging but if that's all it is then it isint really worth the price difference is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Is it my imagination or are the specs slightly better on camera and screen on the OnePlus 8 pro ?

Just seems the Oppo will have a bigger battery and faster charging but if that's all it is then it isint really worth the price difference is it ?

Plus the Oppo has no wireless charging. Pretty insane for a phone that costs over a grand..

Don’t Oppo’s not have one of those horrid Chinese style OS’ running on them too, like all the Xiaomis? No specs could make up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hey folks, currently using a OnePlus 6 for the last two years. Love it, however I am a sucker for an upgrade and I want it to be another OnePlus. I'm really struggling to decide between the 7t, which is newly discounted on the official website, 7t Pro which I'd love for the sheer power & speed and the new 8. From my research and the dozens of videos I've watched, apparently the 8 is not that much of an upgrade from the 7t and with a price difference of almost €180 I'm leaning towards the 7t with a nice case as best bang for buck. Ideally if the 7t Pro came down in price in the next month I'd jump for that. Alas the 8 Pro is simply to pricey for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭mossie

Hey folks, currently using a OnePlus 6 for the last two years. Love it, however I am a sucker for an upgrade and I want it to be another OnePlus. I'm really struggling to decide between the 7t, which is newly discounted on the official website, 7t Pro which I'd love for the sheer power & speed and the new 8. From my research and the dozens of videos I've watched, apparently the 8 is not that much of an upgrade from the 7t and with a price difference of almost €180 I'm leaning towards the 7t with a nice case as best bang for buck. Ideally if the 7t Pro came down in price in the next month I'd jump for that. Alas the 8 Pro is simply to pricey for me at the moment.

I'm in exactly the same position and leaning the same way. The 7T is definitely the most appealing option price wise. And they will take my 6 as a trade in which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

mossie wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same position and leaning the same way. The 7T is definitely the most appealing option price wise. And they will take my 6 as a trade in which helps.

Out of interest what trade-in value are they giving you for the 6? I must try that myself.

There is another part of me pushing me to, for once, go all out and buy the flagship model from a manufacturer also. I'd love to take the plunge and go for the 8 Pro but, given the current climate, I cannot justify €1,000 right this minute.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I’ve gone for the 7T Pro. Had a look at a few threads on Reddit and the general opinion was to pick the 7T Pro over the 8. With a student discount they come to the same price anyway not including trading in my 5 for €90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭mossie

Out of interest what trade-in value are they giving you for the 6? I must try that myself.

There is another part of me pushing me to, for once, go all out and buy the flagship model from a manufacturer also. I'd love to take the plunge and go for the 8 Pro but, given the current climate, I cannot justify €1,000 right this minute.

What comes up in the site when I put in the details is 100 euro plus 30 bonus. Might get more to sell privately.

I was just about to hit buy today, the wireless earphones are back in stock

But I notice that on the Irish website and Canada website the same phone comes with different Network frequencies and more noticeably for 5G

I.e looking at the Irish specs, an Irish OnePlus 8 won't get 5G in their region, also a Canadian OnePlus 8 won't get 5G here.

Am I looking into that correctly ?

(This is a bit important to me as if the above is true I may wait another while before buying)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

I have a one plus 8. Not pro. Didn't want to open a new thread.
    Anyone encountered issues with calls being dropped. Basically during a call the other caller can't hear me but I can hear them.
    Is it just me

Advertisement