Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Documentary recommendation thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Channel 4 tonight Saturday the 21st of March at 9pm.

Diego Maradona.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Channel 4 tonight Saturday the 21st of March at 9pm.

Diego Maradona.

I'm not into football but I love personal stories so will watch this. It's got great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Just started The Tiger King on Netflix
    I'm engrossed after one episode

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Friend just text me about that. Said theres not one sane person in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Both trailers might give away a bit too much. Honest liar is about James Randi (famous magician and skeptic) 2nd about national enquirer in the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tt3d - a documentary following guy Martin and a few other road racers competing at the isle of man. It's on YouTube , not sure bout Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

enricoh wrote: »
    Tt3d - a documentary following guy Martin and a few other road racers competing at the isle of man. It's on YouTube , not sure bout Netflix.

You should check out Speed is my Need on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

The Staircase ...its about true crime and is available on YouTube, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MrSquishSquash

A few of those I enjoyed I can remember:

The Fog of War - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcAyzbMvF7k

The World at War (1973) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4g4ZZNC1E Approx 20+ hours

There was a great one on Napoleon & another on the formation of Russia I've forgotten but if it comes to mind I will post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Blondie919 wrote: »
    You should check out Speed is my Need on Netflix

Road, about the Dunlop brothers, is amazing, even if you have no interest in bikes or motorsport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

Two not mentioned yet, but very good IMO......

The Keepers
    The Keepers is a seven-episode American documentary web series that explores the unsolved murder of nun Sister Cathy Cesnik, who taught English and drama at Baltimore's Archbishop Keough High School, and her former students' belief that there was a cover-up by authorities after Cesnik suspected that a priest at the school, A. Joseph Maskell, was guilty of sexual abuse of students

Had to resist the urge to throw something at the TV screen when I watched The Keepers. Very very frustrating watch!

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst
    From Andrew Jarecki and Marc Smerling (the Oscar nominees behind Capturing the Friedmans), comes The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, a six-part examination of the reclusive millionaire at the heart of three killings spanning four decades.

Robert Durst, the scion of a New York real estate empire, has long been a suspect in the notorious 1982 disappearance of his wife, Kathie. Further suspicion was raised with the unsolved killing of his confidante, Susan Berman, thought to be a key witness in the investigation into Kathie's disappearance in 2000, as well as the subsequent killing and dismemberment of a neighbor in Galveston, Texas. Durst has consistently maintained his innocence.]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Watching the Diego Maradona documentary on channel 4 ,made by the same crowd who did the brilliant documentary on Senna.

Like Senna ,Maradona documentary has loads of personal footage which gives a unique insight into his flawed genius.Some of the stuff he was doing off the pitch when he was playing for Napoli was unreal

There’s even commentary from the late great Jimmy Magee on a World Cup Match at Italia 90 in the documentary........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

No Stone Unturned 2017
    1994 Loughinisland massacre.

Dir; Alex Gibney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Watching the Diego Maradona documentary on channel 4 ,made by the same crowd who did the brilliant documentary on Senna.

Like Senna ,Maradona documentary has loads of personal footage which gives a unique insight into his flawed genius.Some if the stuff he was doing off the pitch when he was playing for Napoli was unreal

There’s even commentary from the late great Jimmy Magee on a World Cup Match at Italia 90 in the documentary........

Just finished watching this...wow so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Like Senna ,Maradona documentary has loads of personal footage which gives a unique insight into his flawed genius.Some of the stuff he was doing off the pitch when he was playing for Napoli was unreal

Maradona is one of the best documentaries i watched last year, i loved everything about it, from the money/drugs/corruption/self-destruction to the 80s real footage giving a sense of that that incredible decade really was about

RichT wrote: »
    Two not mentioned yet, but very good IMO......

The Keepers

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

I started The Jinx last night and I'm totally hooked already

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

I’ve watched so many documentary series and loved them like The Jinx, the Stair Case, making a murderer etc.
    Tiger King is far and away the most crazy, nut job Filled roller coaster of a ride. Maybe it’s quarantine but Jesus Netflix have pulled it out of the bag. Have to pause and process it all. I thought they were actors at first.its absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mic 1972 wrote: »

I’ve watched all the episodes at least 4 times over the years and my heart still races in the last episode, you’re in for a treat.

I’ve watched all the episodes at least 4 times over the years and my heart still races in the last episode, you’re in for a treat.

that's what i heard, no spoiler please!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Watched a few over the last week

The Jinx - superb
    Tell me who I am - tough watch, pretty messed up. About identical twins, one has an accident and loses his memory, the other twin fills him in on their life but all is not as it seems
    The Pharmacist - Again tough watch, starts off with a guy trying to find his sons killer and leads in to the whole opioid crisis. The main guy is a hero but at times he'd annoy the hell out of you. It's shocking how Oxycontin really took the US by storm
    Andy Murray - Resurfacing: He's not everyones cup of tea but this is excellent about the hip operations he has and his rehabilitation. Was close to home for us as my wife had similar operations although she didn't try to play professional tennis afterwards :D

Kidnapped in plain sight - wow, that it was a parody first, shocking when you discover how it is real

• Advertisement

Maradona is one of the best documentaries i watched last year, i loved everything about it, from the money/drugs/corruption/self-destruction to the 80s real footage giving a sense of that that incredible decade really was about

Watched this last night absolutely loved it. Just goes to show how quick people can turn on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

QueenRizla wrote: »
    I’ve watched so many documentary series and loved them like The Jinx, the Stair Case, making a murderer etc.
    Tiger King is far and away the most crazy, nut job Filled roller coaster of a ride.

Holy **** you weren't kidding! Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any crazier, it turns it up to eleven every time.

Nate

Is the Jinx on Netflix ?

zweton wrote: »
    Is the Jinx on Netflix ?

HBO ...or Piratebay

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

zweton wrote: »
    Is the Jinx on Netflix ?

NowTv and SkyGo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

HBO ...or Piratebay

Sky crime

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room is a great documentary as well.

Any of the Adam Curtis documentaries, or the Metanoia ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Muppet Man wrote: »
    12 sports documentaries listed here on RTEs website

Some of which are already mentioned above by other folks

No Hoop Dreams though which could arguably be the greatest documentary of any genre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I know this has been mentioned already but I have to say, if you want a rollercoaster ride, this is probably my favourite documentary.

Where it starts off and where it goes is just crazy. Love the graphics they do about the Russian cheating in Sochi as well.

Advertisement