Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand - CBS All Access - (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm enjoying the series so far but it does feel a bit rushed and great actors like Alexander Skarsgård, Greg Kinnear, Whoopi Goldberg feel underused. I don't often say this but I wish they had planned it out over 2/3 seasons so as to flesh out the characters a bit more while still staying mostly true to the book. I'm guessing they didn't want to do this after the sh*t show that was Under the Dome season 2&3.

Under the Dome was uniquely terrible. I agree Skarsgard has been underused and feel he lacks menace which is weird since he was so good at that in True Blood. The latter part of the Stand always feels a bit puritanical with the Mid West Colorado good wholesame families against the decadence of Las Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Under the Dome was uniquely terrible. I agree Skarsgard has been underused and feel he lacks menace which is weird since he was so good at that in True Blood. The latter part of the Stand always feels a bit puritanical with the Mid West Colorado good wholesame families against the decadence of Las Vegas.
    UTD really strayed away from the source material big time.

I remember watching the first episode and getting an uneasy feeling when I saw that Big Jim Rennie was being played by a dwarf :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Felt like it moved the story along. The scenes around and leading up to
    Flagg tearing lumps outta yer man was done well (I recognised him so I looked him up, He's Clifton Collins Jr., played Lawrence in Westworld). Trashcan Man seems way off the reservation compared to the 90s series guy.

Song at the end.. good choice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Slydice wrote: »
    Flagg tearing lumps outta yer man was done well (I recognised him so I looked him up, He's Clifton Collins Jr., played Lawrence in Westworld). Trashcan Man seems way off the reservation compared to the 90s series guy.

Thanks for that, I knew I recognised him but couldn't put my finger on it.

Really enjoyed that episode as well, I think the show has really come together, especially once the timeline was consistent.

Two great songs in this episode too, Perfect Day by Lou Reed which you have, but also Black Betty by Ram Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah I think
    trashcan man was poorly cast. Need someone older to pull it off I think.

Good episode though, starting to come together nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

That was another good episode, looking forward to how they wrap it up. It's been decades since I read the book so forgotten how it turns out which suites me just fine. But so far it's one of the better King adaptations for TV
    I hear next week is the book finale and. Episode 9 is a new ending written for King specially for the series.

7: Felt like an episode of two halves. Before
    Harold and after Harold. I thought they did his end scene writing the note really well. Then the intro to the trip to vegas and Nadine changing. Her change kinda looks a bit daft compared to what I remember from the 90s show.
    Will see where they go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

M O O N spells where's Tom, good episode trashy has a very important role I'm excited for the last two episodes should be a great conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think the first half of the season were much better than the last few episodes. Cant blame the scriptwriters as they following the source material. The good guys are so bloody boring- I think only the Harold and , surprisingly, Heard's character have been interesting and portrayed well by the actors. The bad guys especially Lloyd seems to be really hamming it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The walk was definitely better in the original mini series for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm up to episode 6, that was a pretty decent episode overall, good to see more of Flagg..

But christ on a bike...what is Ezra Miller doing with that "performance" it's horrendous...
    Even my dog fecking hates it!
    Screeching mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

The effect
    where the piece of branch Harold is impaled on doesn't move while he sort of moves around on it was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I'm only on episode 2 but straight away I loved it. I read the book(uncut version) when I was in secondary school and it's the only book I've read where I was getting through over 100 pages a day, I couldn't put it down. I've seen the 1994 miniseries and I thought it was a disappointment. So when I heard they were making a new series I was excited but also trying to keep expectations in check. But straight off the bat I was hooked. It looks great, the acting is solid and some very unexpected tunes on the soundtrack (Black sabbath used to great effect). From reading through this thread it seems like it only gets better so I for one am looking forward to seeing how the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I got stuck on lockdown due to Covid. I signed up for the 7-day free trial on Apple. It only went up to the fourth one before my trial ended. Are they being added weekly on Apple TV? Does anyone know if RTE can pick it up? I know they got Mr. Mercedes on RTE and on Apple.

I enjoyed what I saw. I'm glad they skip a lot of the virus stuff and more dealing with the aftermath. Being at home at covid would not love a show going deep into people dying from what seems like the flu.

jface187 wrote: »
    I got stuck on lockdown due to Covid. I signed up for the 7-day free trial on Apple. It only went up to the fourth one before my trial ended. Are they being added weekly on Apple TV? Does anyone know if RTE can pick it up? I know they got Mr. Mercedes on RTE and on Apple.

I enjoyed what I saw. I'm glad they skip a lot of the virus stuff and more dealing with the aftermath. Being at home at covid would not love a show going deep into people dying from what seems like the flu.

Yes Starzplay are following the same release as the States 1 episode a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody watching that has no knowledge of the source material and whats their thoughts.
    Just finished ep 6 but think it looses alot being made into tv.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Glebee wrote: »
    Anybody watching that has no knowledge of the source material and whats their thoughts.
    Just finished ep 6 but think it looses alot being made into tv.

Never read the book. I seen the 90's miniseries but it was a long time ago and don't really remember it so I kinda went in blind to this. I'm up to date with this and absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That ending was spectacular and would have worked great as a finale.

Nadine's death was brilliantly done and all the horrible people getting their gory comeuppance was very satisfying.

I have a feeling that Flagg survived and zapped himself out just in time.

Can't wait to see what King has in store for us next week.

I really enjoyed that however I am going to say I really think the characters and the story itself were fleshed out better in the 90's mini series.

Interested to see what King has done for an epilogue episode.

Edit: Also really disappointed we didn't hear Larry sing Baby, Can You Dig Your Man?" or Eve of Destruction.

8: I .. eh.. am I remembering the 90s one a bit too vaguely? The way the episode went felt fairly weak.. like except for the Special Effects at the end. Those were great!

• Advertisement

8: I .. eh.. am I remembering the 90s one a bit too vaguely? The way the episode went felt fairly weak.. like except for the Special Effects at the end. Those were great!

Seemed kind of rushed at the end alright, won't be much left to tell next week

I'm caught up to episode 8 now and I'm absolutely loving this series. I'm a big fan of the book and I think everyone involved has done justice to the source material. My only gripe is that they could've gotten a second season from such a long novel. I mean if Peter Jackson can get 3x3hr movies from a wafer thin book like The Hobbit then CBS could easily have gone another round or two.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I’d agree with the characters being better fleshed out in the original series. I think the original set the scene better. The new series seems to jump straight in at the business end of the book and some characters have had reduced roles. Overall the series is still watchable but I find myself not as invested as I was before with the book or original series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I first read the book about 25 years ago, then again last year during lockdown. I’ve been disappointed with the series, feels too rushed, so you don’t get the characters or to care for them. Agree with other poster I’d have preferred it done over a few seasons, I’d also rather it done chronological rather than flashbacks.
    They really missed the beat with Flagg, he was so scary in the book. If I hadn’t read the book I’d feel I’d be lost with it and would have given up.
    5.5/10 for me so far, could have been so much better, especially with the cast involved.

Yes could have easily got two seasons out of the source material and fleshed out the back stories, maybe Studio and King weren't happy the way Under The Dome went but a wasted opportunity here me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was a very decent episode this week.
    Looking forward to last episode.
    The court room scene was excellent, it's a tad telling though that the character I am most invested in is the dog... (oh and Tom).
    The bit with Flagg and the europop on the balcony just made me laugh..not sure what the intention was?
    Is it just me or is the guy who played lloyd pretty useless? ..why was he getting progressively more camp?!?
    Still preferable to the guy who played trash can man...brutal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

pc7 wrote: »
    I first read the book about 25 years ago, then again last year during lockdown. I’ve been disappointed with the series, feels too rushed, so you don’t get the characters or to care for them. Agree with other poster I’d have preferred it done over a few seasons, I’d also rather it done chronological rather than flashbacks.
    They really missed the beat with Flagg, he was so scary in the book. If I hadn’t read the book I’d feel I’d be lost with it and would have given up.
    5.5/10 for me so far, could have been so much better, especially with the cast involved.

Agree with this and I think 5.5 is generous. The main part of the character building is wiped out in the new series with the rush to get to Boulder.

Nick is basically an extra with a couple of added scenes when he's one of the best characters in the book. The cutting of the scenes in the police station was absolutely nonsensical.

Fran is turned from a strong female lead into a whimpering mess and the whole 'how' she and Stu got together is pretty much glossed over meaning it's hard to care about the relationship.

Ralph Brentner gets cut for a woman with approximately zero backstory other than being 'Mother Abigail's carer'

The Trashcan Man who is an intriguing character gets a couple of scenes that only really make sense if you have read the source material.

Flagg... does sweet FA other than levitate it seems. I actually prefer his portrayal when he's allowed to do stuff other than hang in the air in his penthouse suite but it's so few and far between in the later episodes it's just a shame.

Larry is great I will say. Very well fleshed out and the inclusion of Rita Blakemoor made the first few episodes brilliant. But again they glossed over his and Nadine's relationship and indeed Joe to a degree to rush to Boulder.

Amber Heard is probably the best thing about the show in all honesty and I can't stand her at all.

The mini series was low budget and some of the acting was hammy (Stephen King's cameo being up there with the worst part) but it had the character progression nailed and overall I still think it's much better than the new version mainly because of the glossing over of Captain Trips. I don't get it. We're in the middle of a global pandemic and they have an opportunity to portray something similar (yet much more deadly) in a way that could draw in the viewer and have them on the edge of their seats but instead they fly through that part and get to the poorer part of the book (imo anyways).

I'm disappointed mainly. The first episode was very well done but everything since just seems so... rushed. Maybe it's because I'm too invested in the source material but it's just fallen flat on it's face for me.

3/10 at a max, and mainly that's for the Larry stuff and episode 1.

Necro wrote: »

Amber Heard is probably the best thing about the show in all honesty and I can't stand her at all.

I was thinking the same thing myself, she's actually really good in it. I cant imagine anyone else doing a better job as Nadine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Quite enjoyed that episode

Thank god they didn't go down the SK route of spending 70% of the book establishing all the characters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus the Randall Flagg dance party on the balcony was embarrassing. Nadines death and her head on a plate was good though, so was the actual nuke.

It was pretty pointless back in the day in the book and the original series aswell but what was the point in sending them to die in Vegas if Trashcan was just going to show up with the nuke anyway? I always hated that bit.

Next weeks episode I predict will be completely pointless and the whole series will be forgotten in a month and never mentioned again.

Advertisement