Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Don't believe every thing you read. At the very most it's costing 31m and even that's ott TV3 only earn 55m a year.

I'd say it's a typo. Tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Strazdas wrote: »
    Good looking girl in that photo :)

It's not the same actress. Lauryn "Amber" Canny is fifteen, Jane Somethingorother is the pictured actress. She's about twenty-five.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

When is this starting?

I'm borderline allergic to TV3 these days, so haven't seen any of the ads.

I'll give this a chance, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Elmo wrote: »
    Don't believe every thing you read. At the very most it's costing 31m and even that's ott TV3 only earn 55m a year.

I'd say it's a typo. Tbh

The figure I read recently was 7 or 8m Euros (which is still a huge outlay by TV3 standards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

It's not the same actress. Lauryn "Amber" Canny is fifteen, Jane Somethingorother is the pictured actress. She's about twenty-five.

sorry you are right! i just saw the articles and when i saw "staered in Amber" made the assumption as they are very alike! i cant see how she starred in Amber, although the way tv3 overpublicises itself she was merely driving the Luas/dart amber waslast seen on and they saw her as starring! i couldnt work the maths out either even though i know the show was probably filmed couple of years ago and she was probably older than the character she portrayed.

ah well, she is a good looking girl regardless! wouldnt mind being arrested by her!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    When is this starting?

I'm borderline allergic to TV3 these days, so haven't seen any of the ads.

I'll give this a chance, though.

dont worry Tv3 have a habit of repeating everything from the ads to the programes multiple times! so you wont miss it even if you go out of your way to !! that station is like groundhog day!

TV Threpeat...

Ha!! Did that poster really conceive that TV3 were spending 80 million on this!! 8 million over the initial 2 year contract period AT MOST.

I am predicting this is going to flop big time! Tv3 has no precedence for homegrown drama success, i believe? And the pressure to establish this as a "soap" to rival corrie/eastenders/emmerdale/Fair City etc isnt a good starting point.

Thre has been only one soap (Hollyoaks) which has had a bit of success since comig onto screens since the Big 3 (in England) and Fair City took effect. Brookside was even more popular in late 80s/ early 90s but ran out of steam with its over the top stories.

Maybe im wrong but unless it takes a different approach to traditional soaps, cant see it lasting

Ha!! Did that poster really conceive that TV3 were spending 80 million on this!! 8 million over the initial 2 year contract period AT MOST.

I am predicting this is going to flop big time! Tv3 has no precedence for homegrown drama success, i believe? And the pressure to establish this as a "soap" to rival corrie/eastenders/emmerdale/Fair City etc isnt a good starting point.

Thre has been only one soap (Hollyoaks) which has had a bit of success since comig onto screens since the Big 3 (in England) and Fair City took effect. Brookside was even more popular in late 80s/ early 90s but ran out of steam with its over the top stories.

Maybe im wrong but unless it takes a different approach to traditional soaps, cant see it lasting

But they've no particular record for failure with drama either. This is hugely ambitious by their standards, it appears to be the biggest programme launch in their entire history.

They do have one big advantage over the UK in that there are already three big nightly British soap operas but they've only one Irish contender to take on, meaning it would be easier for a new Irish soap to launch than a new British one.

Re the Amber mix up................ The actress in red rock "starred" as a dead body who the gardai thought was Ambers but it wasn't............. They do look extremely the same, even though the age gap is a few years

"You were also in Amber as well weren’t you?
    Yeah, they thought I was Amber. They thought my body was Amber but it wasn’t. I had another little storyline where I had died in a car crash and they found my body and they thought I was Amber because myself and her are very similar."

Twice a week Soap Ill give it a shot

see no reason why its cannot be on 3 times a week on Sunday 8:30pm after fair city ?

• Advertisement

But they've no particular record for failure with drama either. This is hugely ambitious by their standards, it appears to be the biggest programme launch in their entire history.

They do have one big advantage over the UK in that there are already three big nightly British soap operas but they've only one Irish contender to take on, meaning it would be easier for a new Irish soap to launch than a new British one.

well there is a massive viewership difference between the UK and Ireland districts! Plus the British big three are the main soaps in Ireland, so yeah, they are its contenders, in fact Fair city isn't what it should be worried about tbh.
    So I amn't sure what advantage they have at all! ITV has a massive budget, BBC is essentially state run as is RTE and TV3 is a low budget station which relies heavily on impported shows, most of which are lost now.

Ambitious or not, the show is being put together out of necessity and desperation now as its lost its soaps. Why not make a drama whilst the station was strong with the anchor shows of Corrie and Emmerdale on hand. That was the time to show ambition and keep the viewers on the station after Corrie/Emmerdale.

Ill have a look but i dont have high hopes.

and god help it if is put up against epic show "Ray Darcys Superstar Dogs" that made its debut last night.........

And you'd wonder why they didn't do it sooner.

The irish producers are good, but some of the writers where involved in desperation.

Think it is unfair to criticise something we haven't seen yet.

And you'd wonder why they didn't do it sooner.

The irish producers are good, but some of the writers where involved in desperation.

Think it is unfair to criticise something we haven't seen yet.

noones criticizing it. i just anticipate, on balance of probabilities, the odds are it won't be a big success for reasons i have stated above. i dont think there is room for a new soap really. just my opinion. going by interviews, previews, articles i think the producers may go down the overdramatic approach and neglect to include charm and humour which are imperative for a soap to be well, a soap!!

overdramatic approach and neglect to include charm and humour which are imperative for a soap to be well, a soap!!

Clearly not an eastenders fan.

Clearly not an eastenders fan.

eastenders takes a different approach to humour. it isnt slapstick, silly or pantimine humour which is used in corrie or Emmerdale but the humour is within thr dialogue such as nick the other day when dot found him and mrs. doyle on the sofa.... "maw never did like the sex pistols" or tamwars overall demeanour or billy mitchells failures in life. i do agree it could do with a little more charm but it can afford to neglect same as its such an established show.

my point is soaps nowadays entering the market have a lot to live up to and the standards, even if lacking now (corrie) have been set. people are creatures of habit and one more soap may just be one too many unless it is excellent.

eastenders takes a different approach to humour. it isnt slapstick, silly or pantimine humour which is used in corrie or Emmerdale but the humour is within thr dialogue such as nick the other day when dot found him and mrs. doyle on the sofa.... "maw never did like the sex pistols" or tamwars overall demeanour or billy mitchells failures in life. i do agree it could do with a little more charm but it can afford to neglect same as its such an established show.

my point is soaps nowadays entering the market have a lot to live up to and the standards, even if lacking now (corrie) have been set. people are creatures of habit and one more soap may just be one too many unless it is excellent.

Having said that, Eastenders was an instant success. Within weeks it had a really big audience, and within a year it's ratings were going through the stratosphere.

It's difficult to tell if now is the right time for a new Irish soap or not. I guess we'll find out very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

noones criticizing it. i just anticipate, on balance of probabilities, the odds are it won't be a big success for reasons i have stated above. i dont think there is room for a new soap really. just my opinion. going by interviews, previews, articles i think the producers may go down the overdramatic approach and neglect to include charm and humour which are imperative for a soap to be well, a soap!!

There is room for another soap and I'm quite looking forward to it , we need another Irish soap competition for Fair City, it might make them pull up their socks and change the shíte the are churning out at the moment

We should be supporting our own home grown soaps and new and upcoming actors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

TV3 would probably be hoping too that if it is successful they could sell it abroad. But it's a big ask.

I don't watch soaps myself but despite Fair City the market is captive to the bigger British soaps so this can only help loosen that if it is good.

Preview of the very first episode here :

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bludgeoned-body-found-on-dublin-beach-as-tv3s-red-rock-gets-set-for-grim-first-episode-30869781.html

Interestingly, the first ever episode of Eastenders featured the discovery of a dead body too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

It all hangs on the first episode for now. Everyone is going to have an "i'll just watch the first one & see what it's like" attitude out of curiosity more than anything else. It's up to the pilot to draw people in & make them want to continue watching.

Obviously the subsequent shows need to hold interest too but if the first episode is poor,it will be that much harder to entice viewers back even if it later improves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

i think the producers may go down the overdramatic approach and neglect to include charm and humour which are imperative for a soap to be well, a soap!!

So which? You want it to take a different approach to normal soaps or you want it to be "well, a soap" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

It's difficult to tell if now is the right time for a new Irish soap or not. I guess we'll find out very quickly.

They have already said they have to play the long game on it, that there will be peaks and troughs. They say that is why they are committing to 2 years.

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    So which? You want it to take a different approach to normal soaps or you want it to be "well, a soap" ?

a different approach would be welcomed. I think the fact that they are devising a soap is equally welcoming, but that doesnt mean it will be a success or viewers will catch onto it or they can devise original storylines. I think it is vital they attract viewers and maybe they have no choice other than this but why they waited until the stations most challenging hour to attemt something like this is beyond me. They should have trusted their instincts beforehand whilst they had the viewers on board with the other soaps on their schedule. I know its just a flick of a remote but you will be surprised with how people just leave their telly on the same station during "soap times"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

A good few photos from the first episode in the galleries on these articles:

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/blue-murder-as-new-soap-red-rock-starts-with-a-bang-30868678.html

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/take-glimpse-inside-tv3s-new-4893200

TV3 should put it up on UTV Ireland. After all, Corrie was on UTV and TV3. :)

Starts a week from now...7th Jan

A good few photos from the first episode in the galleries on these articles:

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/blue-murder-as-new-soap-red-rock-starts-with-a-bang-30868678.html

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/take-glimpse-inside-tv3s-new-4893200

TV3 should put it up on UTV Ireland. After all, Corrie was on UTV and TV3. :)

Just out of interest, do we know if Red Rock is shot on video or film? It's hard to tell from those Irish Mirror pictures. I think video might be better suited to a soap.....all the big UK ones have stuck with the format.

Just out of interest, do we know if Red Rock is shot on video or film? It's hard to tell from those Irish Mirror pictures. I think video might be better suited to a soap.....all the big UK ones have stuck with the format.

I'd have thought most things are digitally filmed nowadays, films far too expensive for TV I'd be very rare.

First actual clip from the show:

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/703/0/0/Red-Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Looks bleak as ****e.

Looks bleak as ****e.

I hope it is.

• Advertisement

There is a definitely soapy feel to the new trailer of the show.

Advertisement