Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intermediate / Advanced Tactics Help

• 16-01-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys,

Reaching out for some help here.

I got absolutely man shamed by Fingal Physicians last night, with pretty even stars as well, which was sort of the final hint before I realised how basic my understanding of tactics must be. I've been in decline for a while, but that is mostly down to trying to bring through top class academy prospect and save up for one major signing and have a young, 200k+ csr team in a few seasons, but I'm going well in DIV III and have all my coaching, academy and stadium at top notch, so off the field I'm as strong as any team in the game (all level 5's for senior and level 3's for academy and a 26,000 stadium under construction and to be completed this season)

But if there's any point in advancing my squad, I really need to learn more about tactics. I noticed in the Ireland Lounge in the game people talking about national team tactics and talking about metrics and Chemistry etc. :confused: I have no idea about any of that.

Anybody care to take me under their wing and help me out with learning about tactics? Either message me here or in game or post a tutorial? I think I've taken my team as far as it can go without learning more about tactics, as my grasp is pretty basic it seems.

Any / all help appreciated.

Finally, well done Fingal Physicians on your great win, and yes, you've now put me in a crisis of confidence with my ability to manage a blackout team beyond a top place Div III team! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Chemistry is only a national team thing

The way I look at tactics(rightly or wrongly) is that there are 2 ways of looking at it.

Play to your strengths(or your opponents weaknesses)
    Or do the unexpected...like going wide in your 22

I consider myself a novice on the tactics but keeping an eye on the Nat site is a good place to study ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭morgan62

Also look at the weather as you want to keep it tight and kick it when its raining etc

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

I'm a big fan of playing to my strengths Iv build my team from the ground up I'm the youngest team in my div 2 league by three years. I like weight in my backs. A lot of learning tactics is trying new things and seeing does it work for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

As everyone else has said have a good look at your squad and see who your best players are.

- Check your lineup, there is no point in having an awesome winger when your scrumhalf and flyhalf are poor as they'll never get good ball to him.

- A good fullback is very important, make sure he is fast and has good defence! in stopping linebreaks alone he may be worth 14 points to your team per game.

- If you don't have high speed throughout your team then don't play MOM, play Rush or Drift

- Drift equals more penalties conceded, Drift Aggressive equals lots of penalties conceded! however sometimes conceding lots of 3 pointers is way better than the alternative of giving a better opposition phase after phase and likely try after try.

- Check your replacements, I guarantee if your second replacement for a lock is 175cm the ME will somehow find a way to injure players to ensure he gets game time.

- Driving & P&G, solid ball retention - my general rule is that like in real life you have to earn the right to go through the backs (I got badly burnt the one time I opted against my rule against Ivory Coast):(

- Creative & Expansive, generally look at the weather and the opposition team, if he has awful wingers (past lineups and CSR of wingers + missed tackles in player stats post game) then expansive could be worthwhile as your primary back attack. Creative once again depends a lot on speed, we all know linebreaks are created by high creative but sometimes that's a bad thing as it just leads to players being isolated if you don't have the squad to support the initial break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I think it's interesting that as far as I can see, the main difference between our teams on the day of the match is that my overall squad's form was (and still is to a lesser extent) unusually high, especially my higher CSR players, and your high CSR players had quite poor form. I can assure you I am not great at the tactics either.
    You will see that I had 2 unexpected league victories either side of my game with you. The most recent one I was 50k avg CSR down per player and won comfortably.
    I wonder has the effect of form been tweaked a bit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement