Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bobgaf

@batistuta9
    Thanks for the response. Happy to use either Firefox or Silk on Firestick, but when I try to use either to access the RTE Player via a browser, the response is that neither browser is supported. Hence why I wanted to try Chrome.

The reason for all this effort was to catch up on the series Vikings on RTE2 which I missed.

Using the RTE Player on the VM Horizon box, the series Vikings is not visible.
    Downloaded the RTE Player to the Firestick, the series Vikings is not visible.
    On the laptop, I open the RTE Player via Chrome and guess what, all the Vikings episodes are visible and play well without ads.
    I'd love someone to explain that one to me, assuming it has not changed in the meantime.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

clickhere wrote: »
    Hi Batistuta9, would you be able to supply a link for the old RTE 101 player app. I have tried the one The Driver has in her brilliant FAQ post on the first page but it just opens blank. Thanks.

https://aapks.com/apk/rte-rte/version/42841347/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

bobgaf wrote: »
    @batistuta9
    Thanks for the response. Happy to use either Firefox or Silk on Firestick, but when I try to use either to access the RTE Player via a browser, the response is that neither browser is supported. Hence why I wanted to try Chrome.

The reason for all this effort was to catch up on the series Vikings on RTE2 which I missed.

On the laptop, I open the RTE Player via Chrome and guess what, all the Vikings episodes are visible and play well without ads.
    I'd love someone to explain that one to me, assuming it has not changed in the meantime.
    Cheers.

Did you try requesting desktop site on the browser?

I just check that apk above & can't see Vikings either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Trevord wrote: »
    For anyone looking to try Keepsolid VPN there is a 6 months free offer going at the moment.

No CC card required. Create a username and login and then use the code on the page linked here

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/keepsolid-vpn-unlimited-dns-firewall-6-months-subscription-free-with-code-3648104

The firestick app in on the amazon store.

Worked for BBC Iplayer

Ran a few speed tests for UK and US servers and they were better than what I get with Nord.

Thank you very much,just set it up on my 4k firestick and handy to have for ipee tvv

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bobgaf

@batistuta9

On Silk or Firefox on the Firestick, I used the url https://www.rte.ie/player/all-programmes/a-z to get to Vikings.
    But then I get the unsuitable browser error when I click on any episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

@joujoujou I'm going setting up that adaptor you recommended shortly, do I have to change anything settings wise? Thanks!

@joujoujou I'm going setting up that adaptor you recommended shortly, do I have to change anything settings wise? Thanks!

Worked a treat! Getting 58mb down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Delighted to hear that! :D

joujoujou wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that! :D

Thanks again!

I'm currently using a cat 5e cable, any advantage to buying cat 6e?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not at all. 5e is gigabit cable, much more than necessary in this case. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

bobgaf wrote: »
    @batistuta9

Cheers.

Hi.. Vikings is on Prime which is on Firestick. sign upf or free 30day prime trial and get your Vikings fix ???
    (Love Vikings - Super Tv !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I was on the phone to tech support for about an hour at the weekend to enable me to use my Amazon photo account for screensavers. Turns out I was then able to install the Amazon photo app to the Firestick (it wasn’t available for me before) and can now play slideshows of my pics. Really nice feature. Great to be able to look at family pics rather than mountains in random countries. Just thought I’d share

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What's the option for ordering a fire stick now ? Germany says no delivery to Ireland. Same as UK. Plenty on adverts but would rather order from a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

GBX wrote: »
    What's the option for ordering a fire stick now ? Germany says no delivery to Ireland. Same as UK. Plenty on adverts but would rather order from a shop.

I got mine from an Irish lad on ebay tvtecheire is the store name he is based in Portarlington

non 4k sticks in argos

Is AddressPal any good? Thank god I bought a spare just before January on sale so I've a spare if this one goes bust, which I'm sure it will with the amount of eyy pee teevee I watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is AddressPal any good? Thank god I bought a spare just before January on sale so I've a spare if this one goes bust, which I'm sure it will with the amount of eyy pee teevee I watch!

Problem with address pal and the likes is you will pay UK vat because it is being delivered to a UK address. When it gets sent on to Ireland it gets hit with another 21 percent Irish vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Problem with address pal and the likes is you will pay UK vat because it is being delivered to a UK address. When it gets sent on to Ireland it gets hit with another 21 percent Irish vat.

and a tenner admin charge. You'll end up with a very expensive firestick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

You can get the 4K stick on adverts, plenty of reputable sellers

Nigzcurran wrote:

They are a great device even if we we no longer have the option of buying heavily discounted ones on amazon. New software upgrade coming soon. Totally transforms the home screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Nigzcurran wrote: »

You can get in Curry’s and Argos as well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Argos Newry have them for £29 if you can get someone to pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I thought revenue said that it would only apply to items + €150?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are services like parcelmotel in Germany that people reported using with good results.

At the moment the firesticks are on offer on amazon Italy, I only checked one Italian forwarding service but it was expensive.

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/firestick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

rubadub wrote: »
    There are services like parcelmotel in Germany that people reported using with good results.

At the moment the firesticks are on offer on amazon Italy, I only checked one Italian forwarding service but it was expensive.

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/firestick

Not allowing delivery to Ireland on there. I'll likely get one from Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not allowing delivery to Ireland on there. I'll likely get one from Adverts.

yeah, none of them do, that's why I was talking about forwarding services.

They would also have EU plugs.

€40 in italy and I think the forwarding price as about €28, which is crazy high but I am not sure how much one will be delivered from adverts.

If you were getting more than 1 it might be worth looking at.

McMurphy wrote:
    I thought revenue said that it would only apply to items + €150?

No. There are several threads on this already but anything over 22 euro Inc delivery fee gets charged Irish vat. Some goods over 150 could attract duty as well as vat. Anything under 22 Inc delivery fee will be vat free until June. After June it will be Irish vat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No. There are several threads on this already but anything over 22 euro Inc delivery fee gets charged Irish vat. Some goods over 150 could attract duty as well as vat. Anything under 22 Inc delivery fee will be vat free until June. After June it will be Irish vat

Sorry - yeah that makes sense, it's customs duty I'm thinking of anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Every now and then my Firestick remote controls the TV (Sony) instead and won't work for the Firestick.

Any idea why & how to fix?

Advertisement