Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For All Mankind (SciFi Apple TV+)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Overall....liked it. Stumbled a bit with its overt political statements, obvious gender diatribe etc, which treaded the line at times, but ultimately, a worthwhile series, in which most characters grew, the writing became tighter and the overall story, albeit hyperunrealistic at times, was engaging.
    Nowhere near the same level in the alternate historical stakes of say, The Man in the High Castle, but one that deserves more of an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just started watching this - great show.

Just finished it there. It was a really good season, and I'm a sucker for historical shows, as well shows that explore areas largely untouched in the world of television - this does both really well, spent ages afterwards reading about the space race.

Really good characters and great acting too from all the main players. I probably benefited from being able to binge it all, so the pacing didn't really bother me but in hindsight it is quite uneven at times.

I couldn't figure out why Karen Baldwin was so absurdly familiar but I wasn't familiar with her name at all, then at one point she says to Wayne "you don't need to thank me" it clicked straight away - she's Wraith in Apex Legends. Once it dawned on me, I couldn't hear anything but Wraith.

Anyway, a great show. I'm delighted there's a S2 approved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without spoiling, how alt is the alt history here? Obviously the jumping off point is quite a big one re. the moon landing IIRC the premise; beyond that, does the show unravel history much past that seminal event?

In a nutshell it's basically a world in which the space race didn't end when it did in reality. That's the major divergence from history rather than having the Soviet's land first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Also, just the reminder about the post credits scene on the last episode.. just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Space Machine Guns.

Space Machine Guns.

Nuke Detonation on the moon! Calling it now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Only heard about this recently but ploughed through it, its fecking great! Episode 9 is the best episode of any show this year. Debating staying up to watch the finale but I have a 12 hour shift in the morning.

Thargor wrote: »
    Only heard about this recently but ploughed through it, its fecking great! Episode 9 is the best episode of any show this year. Debating staying up to watch the finale but I have a 12 hour shift in the morning.

either way...
    Slydice wrote: »
    Also, just the reminder about the post credits scene on the last episode.. just in case.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    either way...
    Yeah it was that clip randomly popping up on my Youtube feed that tipped me off in the first place.

Just curious:
    After the Russian helped him get the fuel from the old lander and he took off to save the 2 in orbit, the cosmonaut turned around and looked at the Jamestown base, kind of looked like he was going to do something while it was empty, did I miss anything there or did nothing happen?

I don't think I remember anything around that. For season 2 I'm guessing
    there'll be a time jump so guessing not.

Season 2 starts February 19th and will air weekly.

Brilliant news, one of the best series of recent years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished episode 8 of Season 1 last night, being one of those shows I kept meaning to check out but never getting around to it.

It's an excellent production: great characters and set-up, with this alternate America fascinating in all the little ways things diverge. The actual drama at NASA & its attempts to catch up with the Soviets has made for gripping stuff, all the while sticking (or seeming to stick) to the science of it all.

If there's one quibble? It's a shame its home is one of the smaller streaming networks 'cos IMO this absolutely deserves a larger audience on Amazon or Netflix.

Renewed for a 3rd season.

Starts February 19th.

Awwwww yeah!

As luck would have it, finally finished season 1 the other day. What a show, really deserves so much more plaudits and column inches than its otherwise getting. Great characters, setting and manages that difficult storytelling style of presenting practical problems for the cast to solve - but without resorting to the Idiot Ball trope to get there. Says a lot for a show when characters I started hating, by the end I was rooting for (such as Mrs Baldwin, who also skirts the Girl Power Togetherness cliché by being against female astronauts).

pixelburp wrote: »
    As luck would have it, finally finished season 1 the other day. What a show, really deserves so much more plaudits and column inches than its otherwise getting. Great characters, setting and manages that difficult storytelling style of presenting practical problems for the cast to solve - but without resorting to the Idiot Ball trope to get there. Says a lot for a show when characters I started hating, by the end I was rooting for (such as Mrs Baldwin, who also skirts the Girl Power Togetherness cliché by being against female astronauts).
    Its incredible tbh, I just cant understand the lack of hype, pity its not on Netflix. Chernobyl is the only thing I can think of that comes close in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I actually watched it recently and couldn't believe how good it was. Amazing how it managed to fly under the radar so much. A real shame as it's sublime TV.

Cina wrote: »
    I actually watched it recently and couldn't believe how good it was. Amazing how it managed to fly under the radar so much. A real shame as it's sublime TV.

In many respects the best thing that could happen would be a cancellation so a bigger service could swoop in and acquire it (it's technically a Sony Pictures show IIRC, not directly an Apple+ production). But then I'm not sure its fanbase is as vocal and mobilised like (say) The Expanse when it did its own service switch.

I have to tip my hat fellow members.
    On the strength of this thread , I've thrown an eye at this.

Excellent so far.
    Loving it.
    Clever too.
    Good sound track

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does it get better later in the season? I've watched the first three and its ok at best for me.

Some pretty cheesy bits and it's too heavy on the girl power thing. I don't have a problem with this being pushed, but it's just so obvious and overt at times that it detracts from the story.

I feel like I'm kind of watching now in the hope it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes...try and stick with it. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to Season 2.
    awec wrote: »
    Does it get better later in the season? I've watched the first three and its ok at best for me.

Some pretty cheesy bits and it's too heavy on the girl power thing. I don't have a problem with this being pushed, but it's just so obvious and overt at times that it detracts from the story.

I feel like I'm kind of watching now in the hope it improves.

Nope not watching that, just going to go in blind and enjoy the best thing in years that nobody seems to have heard of.

Looking for to this as it starts back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

there is an Irish astronaut, great first ep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good opener that sets the stage nicely.

Advertisement