Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

phone suggestions please

• 08-01-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

I currently have a xiaomi mi 9t pro

looking to upgrade phones but unsure what to go for.

I was looking at a oneplus but they seem to be expensive now

what phones have you all got and what would you suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi folks

I currently have a xiaomi mi 9t pro

looking to upgrade phones but unsure what to go for.

I was looking at a oneplus but they seem to be expensive now

what phones have you all got and what would you suggest?

I've a one plus 7 Pro, v impressed
    (switched from an XS max)
    Bought the son a S20 plus for e635 (not 5g)
    Nice big phone
    If I'd the bobs I'd go for the one plus 8 Pro, but too expensive atm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I've a one plus 7 Pro, v impressed
    (switched from an XS max)
    Bought the son a S20 plus for e635 (not 5g)
    Nice big phone
    If I'd the bobs I'd go for the one plus 8 Pro, but too expensive atm

I was looking at a OnePlus 8 t or a pro but very expensive

What's the 7 pro like? Is it fast etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

If you like Xiaomi then look at the mi 10t pro. Flagship specs for around €500. The Samsung s21 series is going to be announced in a few weeks so the prices of the s20 series will drop a bit. Or you could buy a brand new Oneplus 8T for €619.
    If I was to pick a phone personally I'd go for the Sony Xperia 5 Mark 2. Water resistant, headphone jack, great triple camera, micro sd, stereo speakers, 120hz oled, no notch or punch hole, RGB notification light and 5g. I have an Xperia 1 myself and the 21:9 aspect ratio seems odd at first but I absolutely love it now. My next phone will either be an Xperia 1 Mark 2 or a Mark 3 when it's announced this year. Other phones just feel fat and heavy to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

OnePlus Nord

Extremely good, look at recent reviews even all complimentary, one of the best I've had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Isn't the 8 just a minor update over the 7T/Pro? I bought a Huawei P30 Pro after a lot of debate around the OnePlus 7 Pro. P30 had the edge with the camera which is the main thing I wanted. I think the 8 is actually a step back in terms of cameras from what I remember.

It felt weird buying a phone from 2019 but everything in 2020 wasn't much of an improvement or had the same cameras as the previous models.

I previously had an Honor 10 for over 2 years. Couldn't find any of the newer Honor phones in Europe and the Huawei P40 doesn't have Google Play Store anymore, very happy with the P30 Pro.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Isn't the 8 just a minor update over the 7T/Pro? I bought a Huawei P30 Pro after a lot of debate around the OnePlus 7 Pro. P30 had the edge with the camera which is the main thing I wanted. I think the 8 is actually a step back in terms of cameras from what I remember.

It felt weird buying a phone from 2019 but everything in 2020 wasn't much of an improvement or had the same cameras as the previous models.

I previously had an Honor 10 for over 2 years. Couldn't find any of the newer Honor phones in Europe and the Huawei P40 doesn't have Google Play Store anymore, very happy with the P30 Pro.

One plus 7 Pro screen is amazingly good, I've 256 storage,, and its a great big yoke, I've had 6/7 mi phones, Nokia, apple, Sony and this yoke is the best I've held, for a 2019 phone its tops

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

i am also in the market for a new phone , and i am looking at the Oneplus Nord or Oneplus 7 pro ?

Teothican wrote: »
    i am also in the market for a new phone , and i am looking at the Oneplus Nord or Oneplus 7 pro ?

Both are great, I'd have no hesitation in recommending the ono plus 7 Pro, kicks my xs max into touch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i can get a oneplus 8t for 500 cash lads.... its used but spotless. would that be best value or try get a 7t pro somewhere cheaper?

• Advertisement

i can get a oneplus 8t for 500 cash lads.... its used but spotless. would that be best value or try get a 7t pro somewhere cheaper?

Won't get it much cheaper I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is the seller reliable? Plenty of good deals stop working shortly after purchase.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Is the seller reliable? Plenty of good deals stop working shortly after purchase.

One plus phones generally bullet proof tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

One plus phones generally bullet proof tbf

OnePlus don't deal in cash. It's not the phone that fails when you get something cheap for cash, it's usually locked by the original owner/insurance.

Del2005 wrote: »
    OnePlus don't deal in cash. It's not the phone that fails when you get something cheap for cash, it's usually locked by the original owner/insurance.

Obviously do your homework first, I've not heard of anyone buying a phone here that was caught with a locked phone in years, ref the one plus 8 t the op was on about easy check is bring your sim card and insert, if remote only buy from a reputable vendor
    Most importantly use PayPal to then any issues like the op mentioned are covered

Advertisement