Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 3x08 - 'The Sanctuary' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Tellerites

You cant get them to leave.... No matter how much you insult them.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,444 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The single biggest downside of this for me is the OTT number of emotional scenes that are not needed and are just time sinks.

Every episode seems to have multiple people crying for one thing or another.

Gets tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

my only real complaint was they made a big deal out of Book finally going home to a planet we saw him on in episode 1. Do these guys watch their own show

In episode 1 they went to a tranceworm sanctuary planet, not his own planet. Although he did mention that it reminds him of his home world if I'm not mistaken. He also mentioned that his family are poachers who kill the worms so there was a little bit of setup there from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

strandroad wrote: »
    In episode 1 they went to a tranceworm sanctuary planet, not his own planet. Although he did mention that it reminds him of his home world if I'm not mistaken. He also mentioned that his family are poachers who kill the worms so there was a little bit of setup there from the start.

The people on that planet looked an awful lot like his crowd and all of the Trek websites list it as the same planet and the tranceworms as being native to the same planet so it appears to be very confusing at the least

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The people on that planet looked an awful lot like his crowd and all of the Trek websites list it as the same planet and the tranceworms as being native to the same planet so it appears to be very confusing at the least
    I'd have to go back and watch it but I was sure the 1st episode clarified it was a sanctuary for the Trance worms that was like but away from his home world. The title of this episode makes that very confusing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭corkie

I noticed the hardcore DIS people are pretty quiet about this episode ......

I don't know if I fit in that group. But enjoyed the episode when you switch of critical thinking. Other than that found nothing worth commenting on.

Still been drip fed bits of the season plot lines. But at least they are connecting some together.

For 2 Part coming up looks like they will be dealing with 'Georgiou' more, so some probably won't like them?

Sanctuary Four is not the same planet as 'Kwejian'

Both planets are Sanctuary for different reasons?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

The Georgiou med bay scene was kinda annoying - the EMH would have just sedated her after about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So if Detmer has started a war, does that mean she's on the path to being the next Michael?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So if Detmer has started a war, does that mean she's on the path to being the next Michael?

She’ll be next appearing in a toothpaste commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

CastorTroy wrote: »

Well, at least its someone different for a change!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Well, at least its someone different for a change!!

You could argue it was Tilly who made the suggestion so it would another Discovery first officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have no idea what was going on there as I can't foucs on this at all. The they/them thing threw me in the first quarter than I mentally tuned out. You just can't get away from that stuff these days even in places you thought you could.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I have no idea what was going on there as I can't foucs on this at all. The they/them thing threw me in the first quarter than I mentally tuned out. You just can't get away from that stuff these days even in places you thought you could.

If you don't like social commentary then Trek old or new probably isn't for you

If you don't like social commentary then Trek old or new probably isn't for you

100%, Trek has always had this, if your a trek fan you are either the type like me who doesn't notice it and enjoy the show, or you do notice it and you nod your hat to it being relevant and normalising what should be normal anyway.

If what was a throwaway scene where someone made a quick comment saying they would prefer to be known by A, B or C, and that's your issue with the show, then general conversation with people might be outside your scope, let alone an episode of Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes but you see if the show was good besides then yes maybe I wouldn't notice it but it's not good besides.

I would wonder why every episode of ST from the original was for me up until Discovery if all this social commentary was always there? Perhaps there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it rather than oh it must be my fault for being so narrow minded.

Btw, how can a black man and a white man with a very strong Latino accent be brothers? Or is that some kind of social commentary as well?

And what is it with the ethnic hairstyles or is that social commentary as well?

And what is with the fact that there is not one single stereotypical white heterosexual male part of the crew? Or is that social commentary as well?

And why are the helm crew so out of place i.e they are emotional and weak, hardly the personality types you'd expect to sign up for active duty, or is that social commentary as well?

In fact the whole crew including the weak captain seem out of place for the role they have. Perhaps it has something to do with diversity quotes and is shows how you end up with a crew totally unsuitable for the job. That would make sense. They would seem more suited to running a kindergarten than boldly going. And when I say they I men the whole crew, not one single new member to the crew.

If anyone tells me Star Trek isn't for me there will be a lot more blunt straight talking as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CramCycle wrote: »
    You could argue it was Tilly who made the suggestion so it would another Discovery first officer.

On that note, aren't bridge conversations recorded by the computer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Btw, how can a black man and a white man with a very strong Latino accent be brothers? Or is that some kind of social commentary as well?

he said they were brothers by vow
    "it isnt biological, it's something we said, we felt"
    will you watch it properly with your "blunt straight talking". hairstyles. on trek of all places

Yes but you see if the show was good besides then yes maybe I wouldn't notice it but it's not good besides.

I would wonder why every episode of ST from the original was for me up until Discovery if all this social commentary was always there? Perhaps there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it rather than oh it must be my fault for being so narrow minded.

And what is with the fact that there is not one single stereotypical white heterosexual male part of the crew? Or is that social commentary as well?

And why are the helm crew so out of place i.e they are emotional and weak, hardly the personality types you'd expect to sign up for active duty, or is that social commentary as well?

In fact the whole crew including the weak captain seem out of place for the role they have. Perhaps it has something to do with diversity quotes and is shows how you end up with a crew totally unsuitable for the job. That would make sense. They would seem more suited to running a kindergarten than boldly going. And when I say they I men the whole crew, not one single new member to the crew.

If anyone tells me Star Trek isn't for me there will be a lot more blunt straight talking as above.

Save it for the "wokism" thread and all the other racist after hours threads you are into

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

NOT that I'm any authority on all things LGBT -- but I thought those scenes between Stamets, Adira, and Culber were pretty awful too to be honest. Just poor writing.

It would have been right at home and forward thinking in a contemporary high-school drama, with the student who's struggling and the teacher who gets it. Lovely moment.

But 1000 years into our bright Star Trek future? "Oh, good for you :-) - we'll update the ships records". "Thanks". DONE.

Stamets this season has just been walking around the ship like some Zen monk dispatching nuggets of warm fuzzy sentiment, and I'm not mad about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

*pops into episode threads again, out of curiosity*

"... Ethnic hairstyles"

Jesus fúcking Christ.

*Leaves thread again*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

It was always there mate , those shows just came out in less polarised times, before the culture wars really took off with the onset of social media. The 24 hour news cycle, 10 years of social media and talking heads on either side of the cultural divide telling people to be offended by one thing or another has people being triggered by things that would never bothered them before.

Ask yourself, did you give a crap about LaForges fro when you first saw TNG, did you ever sit there thinking damn, that hair is just too ethnic for my tastes. No, because that show came out before every gob****e on YouTube, reddit and twitter decided those things were bad , and worth getting their panties up in a bunch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm really not feeling discovery this season(Or previous seasons for that matter). The fact I only bothered watching the latest episode this evening says it all. I'm guessing it's because old school trek fans are not the target audience. I'm not particularly annoyed as it's been made clear over the last few years with this, Picard and the movies what direction they're heading in. I hope enough people are enjoying it and they keep making Star Trek shows though, it would be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I loved that Books ship took 8 Photon Torpedos, Cannon blasts and whopped a battle cruiser.

If only the throw away villain knew all she had to do was fire Burnham at it and it would have sent the ship crashing into the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Photon torpedoes shouldn't be much of an issue for a 32nd century ship in fairness.

I loved that Books ship took 8 Photon Torpedos, Cannon blasts and whopped a battle cruiser.

If only the throw away villain knew all she had to do was fire Burnham at it and it would have sent the ship crashing into the planet.

the other issue, is why didn't she just blow discovery out of the water if she gives so little a f*ck about them or are they both in a cold war scenario where neither could take a war?

On a slight hint at realism, until she figured out to fly properly, and knew where to fire, they were down to 10% shields and nearly destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Fairly dull episode but a great example of Star Trek doing what it can do best.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I like them approaching the identity subject with Adira - it's the sort of progressive thing Trek has always done... but I wish they had thought a little bit more about how they framed it. As it was, they just had a 'today' Earth conversation happen from a human 1500 years in the future. Which felt a bit lazy... I'd have liked if they put a little thought into how it works as a conversation in their context rather than in ours, with a sense of how conventions are in the future. This was a chance for them to literally 'be the change you want to see', by showing their ideal future version of this situation.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    NOT that I'm any authority on all things LGBT -- but I thought those scenes between Stamets, Adira, and Culber were pretty awful too to be honest. Just poor writing.

It would have been right at home and forward thinking in a contemporary high-school drama, with the student who's struggling and the teacher who gets it. Lovely moment.

But 1000 years into our bright Star Trek future? "Oh, good for you :-) - we'll update the ships records". "Thanks". DONE.

I disagree with the two views on how Adira "coming out" was handled. IMO, it was perfect. I don't see how there is ever a point in the future where one does not have to have that moment where they come out. In this instance, Adira would continue to be referred to as she/her unless she had that moment. What was perfectly Star Trek about it was that Stamets simple paused for a moment to register what they said and then just accepts it with an "ok" and a smile. No fuss, no drama. That is the change we want to see, to be at a point in society where coming out is a normal interaction with no prejudice. From Adira's side, I imagine it will always be a bit daunting to open up like that to someone for the first time. I don't know how they could have handled that scene better TBH.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I disagree with the two views on how Adira "coming out" was handled. IMO, it was perfect. I don't see how there is ever a point in the future where one does not have to have that moment where they come out. In this instance, Adira would continue to be referred to as she/her unless she had that moment. What was perfectly Star Trek about it was that Stamets simple paused for a moment to register what they said and then just accepts it with an "ok" and a smile. No fuss, no drama. That is the change we want to see, to be at a point in society where coming out is a normal interaction with no prejudice. From Adira's side, I imagine it will always be a bit daunting to open up like that to someone for the first time. I don't know how they could have handled that scene better TBH.

Indeed, even when it is completely accepted, there will still be the fact that Adira was referred to as she and presumably provided no correction them self. So a small conversation will always had to be had. The fact that it took a second or two for the person to reset in their head that they need to change to they instead of her is I presume normal when everyone behaves, as they should and treats this as normal. they will reset it in the staff database and that's the end of it, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,815 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So, i'm not sure if wild speculation around the teaser for the next episode at the end of the last one counts as a spoiler, but I'll pop it in spoiler tags anyway to be safe in case anyone didn't' watch the "next week on...".
    There's a moment where Michael and Georgiu are on a seemingly desolate ice planet - except that the grounds surface in front of them looks distinctly round, like the saucer section of a ship left buried beneath them. I'm wondering if this is the Music-Mystery/Distress call ship at the origin of The Burn, and in turn, if that ship is the Discovery-in-waiting from Calypso. And for more wild speculation, that Georgiu has to go off on some completing the circle time travel mission back in time, and off into her own series. I really hope most of this isn't true - especially that the Discovery-deux had anything to do with The Burn.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    So, i'm not sure if wild speculation around the teaser for the next episode at the end of the last one counts as a spoiler, but I'll pop it in spoiler tags anyway to be safe in case anyone didn't' watch the "next week on...".

I never watch them as they either give to much away or just ruin the anticipation, maybe better to put it in next weeks episode thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its teenagers in space, the cringe discussing what Suru would say when they go to warp. You can hear space battles from the surface of the planet, is that a new low in breaking junior school science rules? This series you have a chief engineer playing no part in the show except for watercooler conversations.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement