Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We have some of the best players going but the problem is we don't have enough of them and we've a weak bench, hopefully this won't be exposed. We've a great chance to make the Super 8s now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

9 to 2 to reach the super 8 s . Would give ye a good chance of winning sat and as ye day yerselves ye wouldn’t be afraid of Cavan Meath Galway or cork . Galway prob be the one to avoid even if I small bit biased but they mix the good with the bad as well. Anyway bout Getting over sat first Westmeath will fancy there chances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Let’s worry about Westmeath first.
    That’ll be a tough game, really need to be at our best.

Probably a good thing we could empty the bench at the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Really tough ask at the weekend, if it was at home I'm be confident, away not so much, game is down for 6 next Saturday so it won't be on TV

Paddy Power has Westmeath as favourites, 8/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clareman wrote: »
    Really tough ask at the weekend, if it was at home I'm be confident, away not so much, game is down for 6 next Saturday so it won't be on TV

will be a tough ask this evening , westmeath like armagh this round last year are division 3 winners , when we won division 3 a few years back we got to the last 8

today will be westmeaths first game against a side out side the bottom 16 in league or championship , they do have john heslin back to boost an already formidable forward line but at the back they wont be happy with some of there defending especially the goal conceded against limerick where iain corbett was let walk a ball into the net through several defenders

from our point of view and i am sure westmeaths also both sides will be delighted to be heading in to a qualifier with a 50 50 chance of winning the draw could have been a lot worse on both teams a repeat performance of the first half v leitrim or the second v kerry will probably get us through , collins and brennan have been in the media all week talking up a good game so i would be hopeful we could land qualifier win number 11 overall and head into the last 12 of the championship but looking at the numbers below it could be very close

there top scorers in the championship vs laois , waterford and limerick
    Ger Egan (0-21)
    Ronan O'Toole (1-5),
    Joe Halligan (1-4)
    Conor McCormack (0-3)
    Kieran Martin (0-3)

clare top 5 scorers championship v waterford , kerry and leitrim
    Eoin Cleary 0-18
    Jamie Malone 1-7
    David Tubridy 0-8
    Gary Brennan 1-3
    Éimhín Courtney 1-0

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1145023752616521733

I'm only following on Twitter at the moment so I don't know how the game is going but Westmeath have lost 3 players (2 black cards and 1 injury) so hopefully they'll tire but looking at the scores 7 out of our 8 are from play whereas Westmeath have 4 out of 8 from frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Galway,cork,cavan,meath. Netrual venue.

Not sure which would be easier.

Galway,cork,cavan,meath. Netrual venue.

Not sure which would be easier.

We've played them all in the league recently except Galway and I don't think we'd fear any of them, saying that they'd all probably want to play us or Laois.

Personally I'd like to get Cork in Limerick and hopefully get a huge crowd out behind the lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

What a great result for Colm Collins and his lads. One game away from the Super 8's.... Incredible

great win , westmeath deserve huge credit especially to center back kerian martin who landed some monster scores in ger egans absence, they were extremely unlucky to lose egan to injury a huge player for them in fairness had scored 21 points in the championship for them and a total of 3-43 for the year, they were probably lucky not to lose john heslin to a red card who was given a black for a late hit on brennan , he was joined shortly afterwards by ronan o'toole who made a rugby tackle attempt on cathal o'connor

we looked nervous for most of the game , nervous in our passing and our decision making , we played no where near the level of tempo and pace we can play to . we threatened to break away a few times but westmeath wouldn't die at any stage , they threw the kitchen at us in the last 5 minutes of normal time and 6 minutes of injury time , it required two super human catches from brennan in midfield from stephan ryan kick outs to stem the tide at the end

it really is a massive win for clare , and football in the county going forward , any time we are favorites we rarely produce and often are found wanting , today we were made work to the end but showed a bit of steel today to see off the challenge to the end

last week tomas o'shea ranked us lower then laois or westmeath and just above offaly in terms of teams left ,many people took him up the wrong way in his assessment ,
    he has always praised collins for the job he has done with us though and has regarded him as possibly one of the best coaches in the country ,

its very hard to argue with him in that regard , today was clare's 11th qualifier win there 8th under collins since 2014 , prior to the collins era we had only won 3 qualifiers in 14 years ,which is a serious turn around , collins was persuaded by joe cooney to stay on another year at the end of last season probably his best move while head of the county board

everything is a bonus from here on out , but making the super 8s would be huge for us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

everything is a bonus from here on out , but making the super 8s would be huge for us

I'd love a trip to Ennis for the August Bank Holiday.

Am sure we wouldn't mind playing ye in Ballybofey either.

Good luck to ye.

We've played them all in the league recently except Galway and I don't think we'd fear any of them, saying that they'd all probably want to play us or Laois.

Personally I'd like to get Cork in Limerick and hopefully get a huge crowd out behind the lads

played galway 2 maybe 3 years ago up at pearse stadium , lost in difficult conditions by 4 or 5 points , i actually think walsh is damaging the team with his tactics

galway have an excellent set of players , cormer is back in training i believe , they have guys like kieran molloy on the bench a seriously attacking team if let ,but walsh would prefer to play with 12 defenders , but cork are the team we would prefer why? league form .....no

because we feel that if we had got cork in the munster championship even once in the last 5 years instead of kerry every year we could have overturned them , this would be a chance to get a championship victory against them for the first time in 22 years or see if it was all just a myth :p

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'd love a trip to Ennis for the August Bank Holiday.

Am sure we wouldn't mind playing ye in Ballybofey either.

Good luck to ye.

we would have no problem with ballybofey what so ever but that would mean we would have to play kerry the following week :rolleyes:

we have met them more times in the last few years then dublin and meath did in the 90s !!

no we want dublin's group every team gets hammered by them bar the few elite counties , we could lose that one by 30 points and no one would bat an eyelid at this stage followed by two gracious defeats to roscommon and cavan by less then 6 points or maybe the odd shock in one of them and live off the back of that for another few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

we would have no problem with ballybofey what so ever but that would mean we would have to play kerry the following week

No, we would play Kerry the week after Ballybofey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare lost by 6 points in the minor.

Limerick the better team in fairness. Absolutely clueless stuff from Fergal Lynch on the line. Players had no idea how to play a ball inside. Loads of mistakes, often they were hitting the ball out over the sideline to avoid the extra Limerick back. Im hopeful for this bunch as there is definite talent there, but there has to be serious concerns over Lynch and his management whether they are recieving the proper coaching to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

great win , westmeath deserve huge credit especially to center back kerian martin who landed some monster scores in ger egans absence, they were extremely unlucky to lose egan to injury a huge player for them in fairness had scored 21 points in the championship for them and a total of 3-43 for the year, they were probably lucky not to lose john heslin to a red card who was given a black for a late hit on brennan , he was joined shortly afterwards by ronan o'toole who made a rugby tackle attempt on cathal o'connor

we looked nervous for most of the game , nervous in our passing and our decision making , we played no where near the level of tempo and pace we can play to . we threatened to break away a few times but westmeath wouldn't die at any stage , they threw the kitchen at us in the last 5 minutes of normal time and 6 minutes of injury time , it required two super human catches from brennan in midfield from stephan ryan kick outs to stem the tide at the end

it really is a massive win for clare , and football in the county going forward , any time we are favorites we rarely produce and often are found wanting , today we were made work to the end but showed a bit of steel today to see off the challenge to the end

last week tomas o'shea ranked us lower then laois or westmeath and just above offaly in terms of teams left ,many people took him up the wrong way in his assessment ,
    he has always praised collins for the job he has done with us though and has regarded him as possibly one of the best coaches in the country ,

its very hard to argue with him in that regard , today was clare's 11th qualifier win there 8th under collins since 2014 , prior to the collins era we had only won 3 qualifiers in 14 years ,which is a serious turn around , collins was persuaded by joe cooney to stay on another year at the end of last season probably his best move while head of the county board

Great result. Referee was terrible. After giving Westmeath black cards early in game, gave them everything after that, was poor for both teams. Cian O'Dea and Cillian Brennan were outstanding. Jamie Malone and Conal OhAinefein had great first half.Stephen Ryan kickouts were excellent. Gary Brennan pulled and bragged for whole game made 2 outstanding catches at the end. Showed excellent leadership when needed.

letowski wrote: »
    Clare lost by 6 points in the minor.

Limerick the better team in fairness. Absolutely clueless stuff from Fergal Lynch on the line. Players had no idea how to play a ball inside. Loads of mistakes, often they were hitting the ball out over the sideline to avoid the extra Limerick back. Im hopeful for this bunch as there is definite talent there, but there has to be serious concerns over Lynch and his management whether they are recieving the proper coaching to develop.

yeah disappointed for the minors but to be fair they are probably ahead of where we would have taught they would be , they have two big games now against galway and kilkenny to redeem themselves

agree slightly with the criticism of management , but to be fair the way modern hurling is going its probably no harm that players are used to playing systems obviously there is a huge elephant in the room too as they are probably being groomed for the second coming of you know who but thats another story altogether

the wining and losing of the game was probably not the sweeper today but the concession of a goal less then 60 seconds after we got it back within 1 point from a shane meehan goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Do Clare play Wexford now in minor semi final? Wexford won Leinster minor championship.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    Do Clare play Wexford now in minor semi final? Wexford won Leinster minor championship.

into a group of 3 with kilkenny and galway , wexford and limerick are in the all ireland semi finals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

yeah disappointed for the minors but to be fair they are probably ahead of where we would have taught they would be , they have two big games now against galway and kilkenny to redeem themselves

agree slightly with the criticism of management , but to be fair the way modern hurling is going its probably no harm that players are used to playing systems obviously there is a huge elephant in the room too as they are probably being groomed for the second coming of you know who but thats another story altogether

the wining and losing of the game was probably not the sweeper today but the concession of a goal less then 60 seconds after we got it back within 1 point from a shane meehan goal

I felt the Meehan goal was against the run of the play, we had just one point after 19 minutes of the second half. Lynch only decided to change to 15v15 until the 62nd minute.

My problem was that the Limerick 6 was alot more dominant at the sweeper more so that Galvin. So the system wasnt working at all. Also our whole attack was to hit it to the corner away from him. Its very difficult for a 16/17 year old to hit a point from the sideline.

I think on a whole Clare hurling needs to identify how they want to play and develop their players. Like if Doyle is playing a direct style of hurling for the 20s, Lynch is playing a sweeper for the 17s snd D&G are trying to carry the ball through the lines for the seniors.. I think there's a disconnect there. We havent been bringing through enough players in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well I’m sure there is no chance Davy will be managing us after that win anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Shocking stuff from the minor management team today. Left our talented players down in a big way with their stifling tactics.
    New managers required at both minor and senior as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Well I’m sure there is no chance Davy will be managing us after that win anyway.

Ya Great result for Clare!
    Kilkenny have come back into pack at this stage.
    Limerick will be unstoppable if they maintain momentum.

Figerty wrote: »
    Ya Great result for Clare!
    Kilkenny have come back into pack at this stage.
    Limerick will be unstoppable if they maintain momentum.

not sure if it is , it just adds another inter two bob cup to his CV , if truth was known wexford would have been eliminated in munster had they been in our championship given there 3 draws and win against carlow

today they were really good , there forwards were on fire and they could rattle tipp or dublin in the all ireland semi

regardless of what wexford done today ,bruiser did not get the clare minor hurling job for no reason and is setting up the troops for the general (dictator even) to return

letowski wrote: »

I think on a whole Clare hurling needs to identify how they want to play and develop their players. Like if Doyle is playing a direct style of hurling for the 20s, Lynch is playing a sweeper for the 17s snd D&G are trying to carry the ball through the lines for the seniors.. I think there's a disconnect there. We havent been bringing through enough players in recent years.

i agree but soon all 3 teams , minor 20s and senior will all be set up the same way , the de facto just need to ussher aside the man from bodyke and the two adopted townies first

Gael85 wrote: »
    Great result. Referee was terrible. After giving Westmeath black cards early in game, gave them everything after that, was poor for both teams. Cian O'Dea and Cillian Brennan were outstanding. Jamie Malone and Conal OhAinefein had great first half.Stephen Ryan kickouts were excellent. Gary Brennan pulled and bragged for whole game made 2 outstanding catches at the end. Showed excellent leadership when needed.

agreed ,young brennan is excellent , o'dea is a fine reader of the game maybe not the best tackler in the world but very good sweeper and ball carrier

young ryan is also excellent great understanding with the two boys in midfield plus some excellent kickouts against a force 4 yesterday in the second half

as for gary , we probably dont deserve him , rumor had it at the time 7 or 8 years ago that kerry were trying to lure him down , he would walk on to there team in fairness he would probably be one of there better players he is that good

if he was in tipperary , limerick cork or waterford he would be on there hurling panel and not playing football at all , he had a serious championship for ballyea last year in the club hurling championship and from open play was much better then niall desy his club mate and colin gilfoyle from newmarket who were called up to the panel ,

i never cared what the rest of the country taught about clare football we all know on here at club level we are a duel county, as a west clare man however i always felt we never pulled enough weight at inter county level something colm collins has changed and hopefully it remains in future we need to keep it this way now

Shocking stuff from the minor management team today. Left our talented players down in a big way with their stifling tactics.
    New managers required at both minor and senior as far as I can see.

one dimensional in fairness , bruiser deserves some credit of getting us this far if we had donal and gerrys game plan as plan B or a direct route as plan C we might have a chance in years to come though

thanks davey !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

not sure if it is , it just adds another inter two bob cup to his CV , if truth was known wexford would have been eliminated in munster had they been in our championship given there 3 draws and win against carlow

today they were really good , there forwards were on fire and they could rattle tipp or dublin in the all ireland semi

regardless of what wexford done today ,bruiser did not get the clare minor hurling job for no reason and is setting up the troops for the general (dictator even) to return

True, but I think the standard in Leinster has dropped (Kilkenny really), Davy knew that coming in. It's obvious Kilkenny no longer have 15 as strong as they used to have.
    I think the interesting part of the the Championship now will to see if Dublin can step forward and show their teeth or will they fade away.

Advertisement