Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

backrow wrote: »
    Thanks ....unfortunately my old boss is deceased several years and his buisness no longer exists. will they except the last 8 years as been sufficient information. thanks again. backrow

Hi Backrow,

As a carpenter with many years of work experience, the assessment requirement for a skilled migration visa is that you undergo skills assessment. Vetassess for example consider references and trade papers as well as undergoing a practical assessment.

You do not need every reference but the more you have, the better your profile is that the assessor is examining. In any case, we have got skill assessment through for people with a lot less than 8 years of references. Butr it is important that the references and information provided is sufficiently detailed before lodging anything.

In short, 8 years should be plenty.

Note also that as your trade is a carpenter, be aware that you do not need trade papers to be eligible to apply for the assessment.

In my opinion, with so many years work experience behind you as a carpenter, you should have no issue with the Vetassess practical assessment if you go that route. Having passed this, it will give you the skill assessment result you need to proceed and apply for the rest of the visa application.

If you have any questions drop me a PM on your personal situation if you don't want everyone in the forum knowing your situation.

Word of advice to all applying :

You need to apply ASAP before 1 July as you want to be sure of having your visa application accepted. You need to know what you are doing with your application. You cannot afford to waste time or make mistakes. After 1 July you have no guarantee of being invited to apply for PR.

Regards,

Declan Clune

ATTENTION ALL THOSE APPLYING FOR A SKILLED MIGRATION VISA

The upcoming changes have been well documented here on this forum.

What is not mentioned so far is that when DIAC were introducing changes to the skilled migration program (including the changed points system) 2010, DIAC stopped accepting applications in May 2010- long before the intended changes were due to take effect.

Many people who were intending to lodge application in May and June were then unable to lodge their applications as the program was suspended and when it came back on line in July there was a new points system in effect. So many people were then not eligible to apply under the new points system.

The point for the readers here is to be aware that this could possibly happen again this year and while the intended changed are set to take effect in July, the current program could be suspended earlier to prevent there being a flood of applications in May/June 2012.

Bear this in mind if you are thinking of applying and get your skilled migrant visa application sorted ASAP.

Declan Clune

This prevented thousands of people being eligible to submit their applications and many were no longer eligible under the new system.
    all those intending to lodge before the July deadline back then

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

Is it required to Take the Vetassess exam for welding / sheet metal work if going to australia? It wasnt mentioned by the visa agent I have been in touch with.

Has any one here taken the exam? How hard is it?

Also, how expensive is it and how often is it possible to take part in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Declan - That is a very good warning.
    I heard one of your colleagues on newstalk yesterday talking about the upcoming changes.
    if anyone wants to hear it should be updated on this podcast
    http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/breakfast/podcasts/ (but tuesday 10th)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

ATTENTION ALL THOSE APPLYING FOR A SKILLED MIGRATION VISA

The upcoming changes have been well documented here on this forum.

What is not mentioned so far is that when DIAC were introducing changes to the skilled migration program (including the changed points system) last year, DIAC stopped accepting applications in May - long before the intended changes were due to take effect.

Many people who were intending to lodge application in May and June were then unable to lodge their applications as the program was suspended and when it came back on line in July there was a new points system in effect. So many people were then not eligible to apply under the new points system.

The point for the readers here is to be aware that this could possibly happen again this year and while the intended changed are set to take effect in July, the current program could be suspended earlier to prevent there being a flood of applications in May/June 2012.

Bear this in mind if you are thinking of applying and get your skilled migrant visa application sorted ASAP.

Declan Clune
    MARN 1001083

This prevented thousands of people being eligible to submit their applications and many were no longer eligible under the new system.
    all those intending to lodge before the July deadline back then

Hello,

The changes and the suspension of lodgement was actually in July 2010 where there was a dramatic change of the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). It was also in line with a huge backlog within the skilled program and was a mechanism to prevent adding to backlog with occupations no longer required on the new SOL. The changes in July 2012 are more processing procedures than major regulation changes. With the changes introduced over the last few years less people are applying for skilled visas so we are not dealing with the backlogs of 2010 and previous.

Anyone who is yet to start the process runs the risk of not meeting the June 30th deadline due to the time it takes for each stage of the process and all applicants should consider what 'plan b' will be and act accordingly. For example in some cases it may be 'safer' to lodge a Subclass 175 visa even though processing time is slower because there is not enough time to secure state sponsorship (each state differs) etc.

No matter what the Immigration process is ALWAYS full of risks and NO guarantees and the best you can do is research fully

Thanks, Liz

• Advertisement

My point remains and is very valid.

DIAC can bring in further unexpected changes at any time
    You may have alternative visa options if you don't get a skilled visa application lodged.

The point is simple - if you want to be certain of getting your skilled visa application lodged before any changes are introduced, you need to apply now assuming you are eligible to apply.

Hope this helps.

Declan Clune

Is it required to Take the Vetassess exam for welding / sheet metal work if going to australia? It wasnt mentioned by the visa agent I have been in touch with.

Has any one here taken the exam? How hard is it?

Also, how expensive is it and how often is it possible to take part in Ireland?

Hi Shannon guy.

If you are applying for a skilled migrant visa or some visa that requires a skill assessment, Welding and Sheet Metal workers are required to have their skills assessed by Vetassess or Victoria University. Vetassess require you to do a practical as part of the assessment process. It is not necessarily required by Vic Uni - as they consider your level of experience and your knowledge in the Skyoe interview.

It is not required for all visas though - for example - if you plan to head out on a working holiday visa or a sponsorship visa it is not required.

In my experience, Vetassess carry out their practical assessments on set dates - you can check out their website for these dates. Vic Uni are a lot more flexible though.

Hope this helps.

Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Can anyone recommend a good agent in Perth for a 175 application. I am currently on a 457 but looking to switch to a 175.

Will I have to get my degree parchment translated from Latin to english?

Hello Someday2010

For an agent your first port of call is mara.gov.au and then have a look to see how experienced the agent is with your occupation and visa type (in your case 457 and skilled visa expertise). A first indication will be the first two digits of the agents registration number which tells you when they first registered ..ie 1102776 - the agent first registered in 2011. Always ask for advice in writing and speak to a few agents - don't focus so much on price but more expertise and follow your gut instinct. Just because you are in Perth doesn't mean you have to have a Perth agent - agents represent people from all over the world so this opens up the choices for you.

Yes - you should get the document translated if it is to be used as part of the visa process.

Best of luck, Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Just a point regarding the proposed changes in July 2012 given the panic that seems to be brewing out there - I could be wrong here but presumably while the new pooling system might not favour some occupations, it will favour others. Therefore, in theory, I wonder if it may become 'easier' and faster for certain applicants in high priority occupations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

I have a query in relation to the skills assessment for GSM visa. I have a degree and masters in Env Sc. and 10 yrs work experience which would enable me to work in a variety of occupations. There is one occupation on the SOL 1 and 2-3 occupations on the SOL 2 that would suit my qualifications. From reading the VETASSES website there is a cost to assess each occupation so my question is:

How do u know what occupation to choose (Schedule 1 or 2) and are the results from the S.A used when apply for jobs (can u only apply for jobs related to the occupation assessed in the S.A)

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MikeMacca

i arrive on my 1st whv in march, i wont be eligible for a 2nd one due to my age.
    can i apply for the skilled migration visa when im over there. im a part qualified accountant with 7 years work experience ,actively pursuing my professional qualification

MikeMacca wrote: »
    i arrive on my 1st whv in march, i wont be eligible for a 2nd one due to my age.
    can i apply for the skilled migration visa when im over there. im a part qualified accountant with 7 years work experience ,actively pursuing my professional qualification
    Yes, but if it is not granted within the WHV you'll have to leave and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 John Vevers

I have a query in relation to the skills assessment for GSM visa. I have a degree and masters in Env Sc. and 10 yrs work experience which would enable me to work in a variety of occupations. There is one occupation on the SOL 1 and 2-3 occupations on the SOL 2 that would suit my qualifications. From reading the VETASSES website there is a cost to assess each occupation so my question is:

How do u know what occupation to choose (Schedule 1 or 2) and are the results from the S.A used when apply for jobs (can u only apply for jobs related to the occupation assessed in the S.A)

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am confused.

Hi Little Sunshine,

No need to apologise, General Skilled Migration (GSM) is VERY confusing and forever changing.

If you have reviewed the SOL's and found, say three occupations that marry up with your current experience and skills then I'd suggest you visit the Australian Bureau of Statistics: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/1220.0.

Once there, type in the code of the occupation and a list of duties, possible job titles etc will be shown (the same can be done at www.immi.gov.au but only for certain ANZSCO codes).

The information provided by ABS and IMMI may allow you to narrow the selection even further.

Depending upon the class of GSM Visa you apply for certain conditions MAY be applied to the end product (i.e. the visa) however in some cases once the GSM visa is approved you will be entitiled to work in any role, in any location of Australia.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but before you apply for GSM be sure to check whether it is Sponsored, Non-Sponsored etc as this will effect the conditions of the visa, and the Schedule (SOL) from which you can nominate a role.

John

Hi John
    Thanks for all the info - Since i was last on I received info that my occupation would be best suited to Environmental Health Officer 251311 on SOL1 as this is state sponsored. I found the website that you mentioned and it was v useful. I was worried that if I did the Skills Ass. as EHO I would only be able to apply for jobs in that field but from what u said I won't be tied to that occupation

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Just a point regarding the proposed changes in July 2012 given the panic that seems to be brewing out there - I could be wrong here but presumably while the new pooling system might not favour some occupations, it will favour others. Therefore, in theory, I wonder if it may become 'easier' and faster for certain applicants in high priority occupations.

Could well be MrThrifty, It will be a case of supply and demand and within 6 months or so we hope to see a pattern which will help others considering the process. Having said that for some people even in high priority occupations applying before July 1 is necessary due to recent work experience criteria etc.

hussey wrote: »
    Yes, but if it is not granted within the WHV you'll have to leave and come back.

You can apply at any time from anywhere but cannot be physically be in Australia at the time the visa is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 John Vevers

Hi Little Sunshine,

I've just double-checked the offshore, Sublcass 176 Sponsored GSM Visa and can confirm that although some conditions may be imposed on the visa - such as entry dates etc - there are no restrictions on occupations etc like those found for the 457.

One thing to consider when applying for State / Territory sponsored is that the number of visas eligible for approval are, I believe, capped so only so many will be issued. They are issued to the applicant on the understanding that the visa holder remains in the same occupation, in that State / Territory though, as I mentioned, there are no such conditions attached to the visa itself.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MikeMacca

thanks. i know there's a whole process thats akin to tendering for bids but what is the turnaround on these things. a year/2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Hi Declan & Liz

Quick question regarding de facto and proving it.

My bf is applying for 176 visa and I am going under him.
    Could you give me a list of what is considered as proof?

We have been living/renting together for past 2.5 yrs, but no joint accounts, property, children etc. Bills would be in his name also.

Do photos, flight itineraries etc count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Do you have different bills but with the same address?

foundry wrote: »
    Hi Declan & Liz

We have been living/renting together for past 2.5 yrs, but no joint accounts, property, children etc. Bills would be in his name also.

Yes all that count, if you get letters or a bank statement to that address that counts, especially over a few years, any joint invites (wedding, engagement etc), holiday tickets, photos and in some cases letters from friends

have a read of a few defacto threads here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74603898
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055698121

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Zambia wrote: »
    Do you have different bills but with the same address?

Just gas & electricity with Bord Gais with his name, I suppose he could ring them and get my name on one of them? Is it worth setting up a joint account, we hope to have Visa in by May.
    Yes all that count, if you get letters or a bank statement to that address that counts, especially over a few years, any joint invites (wedding, engagement etc), holiday tickets, photos and in some cases letters from friends

have a read of a few defacto threads here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74603898
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055698121

Thanks so much for that, have lots of photos, tickets etc. We are lacking official documentation really but will try get a bill in my name, a letter from landlord stating were a couple and renting together, a contract and letters from friends and family.

Is that sufficient?? Thanks again!

Just gas & electricity with Bord Gais with his name, I suppose he could ring them and get my name on one of them? Is it worth setting up a joint account, we hope to have Visa in by May.

Thanks so much for that, have lots of photos, tickets etc. We are lacking official documentation really but will try get a bill in my name, a letter from landlord stating were a couple and renting together, a contract and letters from friends and family.

Is that sufficient?? Thanks again!

Yes it is.
    The letter from landlord is a great idea, the Australian immigration isn't this big bad wolf people think they are, they want skilled people to come to Australia to help them prosper, they are not looking to trick or trip you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes a joint account is a good idea.

Even without the VISA aspect. As you live together decide how much the house costs to run per week/month. Food , rent , electricity etc

Then both of you transfer half that amount each week/month. Bills are paid from that account.

Then you get your own money each to spend without worry.

It cant hurt the Visa application either.

Hi Declan & Liz

Hello Foundry

There are no hard and fast rules on what is required to prove a defacto relationship as every couple circs are different. There are four heading they assess you under - nature of household, financial aspects, social aspects and commitment to one another and you are expected to have evidence under each heading. You need to prove you conduct your lives as a couple as opposed to housemates and have evidence to back this up. Photos and emails carry little weight so other independent evidence such as those suggested are needed. Further advice is on immi.gov.au if you search under partner visa where samples are given.

DIAC are not out to 'get you' but they do need reasonable evidence to grant the visa to the defacto as they are keen to avoid fraud etc.

Good Luck, Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Hi,

I will soon be going through the same process also, hoping to put my girlfriend on 176 as de facto. We have been gathering docs for when the time comes(wont be submitting until May as we will only have the 12 months then). Hears hoping DIAC wont put the dates forward because the new changes are coming in July:confused:
    We have been going out for 4 years but only living with each other 10 months in March, we also leave on a WHV in March so we were looking to make up the other 2 months in a hostel in Auz. I was thinking of geting the owner of the hostel to write up a letter stating we are staying in a private room in the hostel on official letterhead paper so hofefully they will accept this as legit:confused:
    We have everything else i think, 10 months esb bills, wedding invites etc.
    One thing we do not have is joint account in both our names just because we never needed it really! We are going to get a letter from landlord stating the dates we lived here. Its the official docs that are hard to get i guess. Could someone have a read of this and advise if this seems right what we plan to do:)

Thanks

I am being quoted €3,000 to use an agent - Do any of the agents offer a service of checking if all the documentation is correct for the Skills assessment -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

dont bother, just diy. I did it for my skills assessment and its not that bad really, you will save a fortune.

• Advertisement

Am thinking along the lines of DIY for 176 visa but am worried if I 4get some info for the SA and mess it up I will have to start again and that's not an option considering the July changes

Advertisement