Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

cards wrote: »
    I'm 32 and fairly fit, don't drink or smoke and would love to go back playing hurling.I played up until about 16 but was never that good. Wasn't totally useless either but would have been a sub mostly rather than a regular player.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, I've recently moved back to a rural location and they have several hurling teams. One is a junior c hurling team. What is the standard likely to be and would they welcome new members at that level? thanks.

Sorry only saw this now, well firstly most teams across the land are grateful for more bodies for numerous reasons, i will be honest i am a size 5 man myself but i wouldnt say junior c would be elite players like. In short go for it what harm can you do?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Considering giving football a go again.
    Havent played since I was 15/16.

26 and 17.5 stone currently.
    Not great fitness or skill though.

Im based in sandyford industrial estate.

Any idea what level or club I could aim at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

castie wrote: »
    Considering giving football a go again.
    Havent played since I was 15/16.

26 and 17.5 stone currently.
    Not great fitness or skill though.

Im based in sandyford industrial estate.

Any idea what level or club I could aim at?

Naomh Olaf are based in Sandyford Industrial Estate and have a team in division 9 which might be a good option. It might be a bit late to join for this year though as the season is well underway.

Here's their website anyway: http://naomholaf.ie/home.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

An Citeog wrote: »
    Naomh Olaf are based in Sandyford Industrial Estate and have a team in division 9 which might be a good option. It might be a bit late to join for this year though as the season is well underway.

Here's their website anyway: http://naomholaf.ie/home.html

Any idea what nights they train?

castie wrote: »
    Any idea what nights they train?

No idea, sorry. I don't know much about the club itself. Your best bet would probably be to phone/email the club or just take a stroll down there some evening and ask a few people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

It might be a bit late to join for this year though as the season is well underway.

It's never too late to join that team - even if it's only just to meet a few of the lads there. Sorry no idea when they train or if they train but drop down the clubhouse any evening and they will be able to put you in touch with whoever is over the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Geraldines P Moran are looking for senior players based in Cornelscourt beside Dunnes Stores. Division 10 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

any tips on getting the fitness back??

badly broke my leg playing a couple years ago and well i wouldnt be the cover model on mens health. i'm trying away with the club and did make an appearance in the opening round of championship but now as the pace quickens in both the practice and league games i find myself breathing hard.

need to lose about a stone to a stone and a half but there must be someone out there with the knowledge to provide some guidance on fitness

slingerz wrote: »
    any tips on getting the fitness back??

badly broke my leg playing a couple years ago and well i wouldnt be the cover model on mens health. i'm trying away with the club and did make an appearance in the opening round of championship but now as the pace quickens in both the practice and league games i find myself breathing hard.

need to lose about a stone to a stone and a half but there must be someone out there with the knowledge to provide some guidance on fitness

Your best bet is to get out by yourself and do a bit extra, either on the road/grass or in the gym. Seeing as you're back playing, I'm assuming that you're fully recovered. Your diet is massively important aswell. The fitness forum is your best bet for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I'm 21 & in relatively good shape (I jog 5k frequently enough)

I played soccer loads when I was younger, but now I'd love to give GAA football a lash, I'm really getting into it now!!!:)

But I'm living in Glenageary, a little awkward on location.

Can anyone recommend me a place that may accept me, dispite my lack of experience?
    Cuala I suppose is my best bet.

& how does it usually go, do I train with an adult beginners squad, or with a senior 3rd team...or with a bunch of 10 year olds!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm 25 but kinda unfit, just too lazy to exercise but I'm not fat or too skinny by any means! Never have been much into exercise only very light exercise! Did cycle when I was younger though. Use to play badminton and tennis. Didnt fair well in any other sport other than them and the ould trampoline! Love GAA but found it tough to play!

Ok, I think cuala are for kids, my mistake.

Can anyone still help me out?:)

Anyone?:(

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Anyone?:(

Sorry jay hadnt seen your posts here until now, the only club i would know of in that area would be cuala not sure of any others around the area but i am sure there are, if worst comes to worst why dont you contact the cuala lads and ask them see the site below for the contact details i am sure they will help you out as best they can

http://www.cualagaa.ie/

The other part of your post i would say you would play with the reserves or lower teams but the lads would be in your age group until you improve your game to the point of making one of the upper teams but it would depend on the club itself and the setup they have there

Thanks GAAman, great info, I was always a little too shy to call, but I have NO excuses now!!:D

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Thanks GAAman, great info, I was always a little too shy to call, but I have NO excuses now!!:D

Have said it alot on this thread and even more in real life, GO FOR IT!!! :D

• Have not played competitive sport since I was 20 .. 31 now is that too late to start playing again ? Living in drogheda now would love to start up with local GAA side.

Have not played competitive sport since I was 20 .. 31 now is that too late to start playing again ? Living in drogheda now would love to start up with local GAA side.

Never too late as long as you have the fire in your belly :) Check out my first post on this thread below for the boards folder, unzip this folder and there is a louth page with info on all the clubs i could find online if i recall when i did the lists i made them all hyperlinks where possible to the clubs websites

If info isnt available there find out what clubs are in your area and come back to us sure :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59731298&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

im looking to gget back to playing ball i havent played for 15 years and am a bit out of shape but been out running and that so getting the fitness back up. are there any clubs around kimmage that would suit me?

im looking to gget back to playing ball i havent played for 15 years and am a bit out of shape but been out running and that so getting the fitness back up. are there any clubs around kimmage that would suit me?

Two clubs in the area and i know them well being a crumlin/kimmage man myself

You have Crumlin who play out of lorcan o toole park and St James who play in the Guinness grounds on the crumlin road.

Both clubs welcome new members and im sure would be happy to have you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

GAAman wrote: »
    Two clubs in the area and i know them well being a crumlin/kimmage man myself

You have Crumlin who play out of lorcan o toole park and St James who play in the Guinness grounds on the crumlin road.

Both clubs welcome new members and im sure would be happy to have you :)

thanks for that il get the fitness back up abit then give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

St James Gaels have commenced pre season training on Wednesday (13TH Oct) for next season and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities and floodlite pitch. All welcome, for more information check our club website info@stjamesgaels.com or my email axelf82@hotmail.com

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels have commenced pre season training on Wednesday (13TH Oct) for next season and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities and floodlite pitch. All welcome, for more information check our club website info@stjamesgaels.com or my email axelf82@hotmail.com

Fantastic info there Gael85 thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

Hi guys,
    have any of you guys heard of the game of handball?
    Handball is the oldest and easiest GAA game of them all!
    All you need is a ball and a wall!

oh yeah one more... Handball is a sport for life...ANY AGE and ANY FITNESS LEVEL and ANYONE CAN PLAY!
    check out: http://www.gaahandball.ie for more.

It really is so simple and enjoyable to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

have any of you guys heard of the game of handball?

Did you really just ask that question on a GAA board?

Peace wrote: »

Peace, be peaceful! :p

But marko is new enough so i will just point out this thread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055535015&highlight=handball

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

Peace wrote: »

Handball is a GAA game, the name of the organisation that runs it is GAA Handball! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

When does the pre season start for the likes of Junior B hurling and football? I'm presuming mid to late January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

eroo wrote: »
    When does the pre season start for the likes of Junior B hurling and football? I'm presuming mid to late January?

Some clubs may not start back until early Feb. Best to contact the relevant manager/selector.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Pre-season for Junior B where I'm from is usually meeting the lads in the pub on St. Patricks day and say (after a few pints) "lads we'll go back early this year and give it a right rattle", have about 40 to training for the first month or so, lucky to have 8 2 weeks before the championship

Advertisement