Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

mailburner wrote: »
    anyone know if asda enisk are doin specials on the corrs lite multipacks.
    i got a few of these b4 xmas in enisk for £7 (20btls)

I was in sainsburys newry today and it was £13.98
    and overall i wasnt impressed with the beer prices in
    comparison with asdas
    also got 12wkd blue for £12.99
    got same in asda for £10
    Good offers on food tho.

Yes the booze season is over, it won't return until around Easter and then again around July Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

cinny wrote: »
    Im currently finishing off building my own home and will need a number of electrical items, Rangemaster, fridge freezer, dishwasher etc and furniture. have been looking at the prices up North which there is huge differences in than down south. Is anyone aware of a companies that deliever to teh rebublic. im living in West Wicklow/ Kildare:)

samsyerman

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Yes the booze season is over, it won't return until around Easter and then again around July Bank Holiday.

Jakers ye all bought so much booze in the North before Christmas that there should be enough to keep you going until Easter at least - or is everyone busy drowning their sorrows and fast running out ? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

josh59 wrote: »
    Jakers ye all bought so much booze in the North before Christmas that there should be enough to keep you going until Easter at least - or is everyone busy drowning their sorrows and fast running out ? :D:D:D

The Latter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Would there be much savings on laptops up north as compared to here? Thinking of getting a good one, capable of games etc.
    Was going to ring pcworlds both sides of the border, see how they compare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

phill106 wrote: »
    Would there be much savings on laptops up north as compared to here? Thinking of getting a good one, capable of games etc.
    Was going to ring pcworlds both sides of the border, see how they compare.

I bought a HP for ~£400/€460 in Curry's at Christmas for the ball and chain, probably wouldve retailed for 550-600 odd down here. I was kind of forced into it though as I didnt know what I wanted, only that I had to get something that day. Their problem seems to be the limited choice/stock they have in their stores - but I really cant make that assumption fully based on the Christmas period. Curry's and PCWorld are one and then same as far as I know, so their listed stock/prices will likely be the same.

I have been emailing various independant retailers in Newry/Belfast to see if they sell Acer laptops, or if they can order a specific one in, to no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ukpoker

The new Argos catalogues are out...

We picked up one in Argos at the Square in Tallaght and one in Newry while shopping at Sainsburys for price comparisons...

The back cover tells you all you need to know about rip-off Ireland.

30% difference in prices if you assume £/€ parity (which is getting close again).

I won't be doing my conkers at the store in Tallaght thats for sure!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Bam33 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I went to ASDA in Westwood shopping centre on Saturday and found it brilliant value. Stopping sprucefield on the way back for Sainsburys (was much more impressed with ASDA). DOes anyone know if there is an ASDA closer to Dublin than the one in Westwood Shopping Centre? Is the one in Westwood 24hr?

Where exactly is Asda Westwood from Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭wait4me

mad m wrote: »
    Where exactly is Asda Westwood from Newry?

Just outside Belfast which is probably 25/30 minutes further north.

Google maps link - I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Have a look at this if you are thinking of buying a new car...
    You can check this out yourself on the ford.co.uk and the ford.ie websites.

In the North, you can get the New Ford Kuga with Bluetooth, Full leather and the panaramic sunroof, Titanium spec for just over £20,000. So when you convert that to Euro, it should be just under or around €22,000

I did the same build on the Irish Ford website for the same spec and it came in at just under €42,000 that's 20,000 pounds more than in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not intending to buy, but that's madness. It's far cheaper to buy in the UK and pay whatever duty is needed since it's won't anywhere near 100% the cost of the car.

Same with the Ford Focus. The Focus Zetec 1.4 5dr costs in Ireland around €24,000. In the UK, the same spec is £14,000

Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

lalorm wrote: »

In the North, you can get the New Ford Kuga with Bluetooth, Full leather and the panaramic sunroof, Titanium spec for just over £20,000. So when you convert that to Euro, it should be just under or around €22,000

I did the same build on the Irish Ford website for the same spec and it came in at just under €42,000 that's 20,000 pounds more than in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not intending to buy, but that's madness. It's far cheaper to buy in the UK and pay whatever duty is needed since it's won't anywhere near 100% the cost of the car.

Same with the Ford Focus. The Focus Zetec 1.4 5dr costs in Ireland around €24,000. In the UK, the same spec is £14,000

Crazy.

It will be cheaper but the VRT will add significantly. I know someone who paid £22,000 for an 08 Merc and got charged 19k VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

TheBazman wrote: »
    It will be cheaper but the VRT will add significantly. I know someone who paid £22,000 for an 08 Merc and got charged 19k VRT

VRT isn't always that high, depends on the age and condition of the car, the price it's valued at down here etc...

For e.g., i know someone who bought a VW passatt, 2008, for 14k sterling, paid just under 5k VRT for a total of 20k euro. Price down here was 40k euro:eek: (this was about two weeks ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Thinking of heading up to Newry to do the grocery shop.

Do you know if Sainsburys accept Laser or what would be the most cost effective way of paying?

Have heard conflicting reports of how much value there is to be had but I suppose it's a case of giving it a go to find out..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lalorm wrote: »

Crazy.

just remember on a new car under 6 months old and under 6000 km you will have pay 21.5% vat as well as the vrt on the omsp so do your sums carefully - as well as paying the vat up there.
    i agree though brought in an 06 407 last week and prices down here are generally around 16-17k (ok you'd get a few grand off that) its now got a dl plate for 9.5 all in and its a diesel which seem to be rare enough down here

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

paulocon wrote: »
    Thinking of heading up to Newry to do the grocery shop.

Do you know if Sainsburys accept Laser or what would be the most cost effective way of paying?

Have heard conflicting reports of how much value there is to be had but I suppose it's a case of giving it a go to find out..

Yep, they accept Euro Cash, Laser, Credit Cards or Sterling. They will take any form of payment.

Yep, they accept Euro Cash, Laser, Credit Cards or Sterling. They will take any form of payment.

Thanks for that. Think I read before that they didn't accept them in the past but started to do so prior to Christmas. Saves taking out a wad of cash in advance which kind of defeats the purpose..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

consultech wrote: »
    I have been emailing various independant retailers in Newry/Belfast to see if they sell Acer laptops, or if they can order a specific one in, to no response.

Harvey Norman in Naas carry Acers - their UK store locator shows they are beside Ikea.

I was looking at spending €400-€550 during the first week of Jan - there was a €100 saving comparing prices between PC Worlds newspapers ads in the south and their UK store prices listed on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

just remember on a new car under 6 months old and under 6000 km you will have pay 21.5% vat as well as the vrt on the omsp so do your sums carefully - as well as paying the vat up there.
    i agree though brought in an 06 407 last week and prices down here are generally around 16-17k (ok you'd get a few grand off that) its now got a dl plate for 9.5 all in and its a diesel which seem to be rare enough down here

If buying a new car in the UK for export you do not have to pay UK vat just the Irish vat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Looks like the euro starting to improve again versus sterling. Its back up to 93p today according to www.xe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Guys, found a short cut travelling into Newry. Driving down the hill into the centre, half way down turn left, can't remember the name of the street but its worth checking out for future traffic jams. Turn right at the junction onto a single road and travel down for 2 mins (same distance to the bottom of the original hill) then turn right and you'll appear at the bottom lights.

I know its a bit vague but its worth checking out for an occasion when the traffic is really bad

Will get street names next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Supermarket chain Superquinn has confirmed it is to shed 400 jobs and close its Dundalk store.

67 jobs will be lost in Dundalk.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0121/superquinn.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Important to correct two errors here. A new car is described as one under six months old or one which has done less than 6000km. If importing such a 'new' car, you can either not pay the UK VAT, or get it refunded if it has been paid.

Comprehensive (1400+ pages!) thread on importing cars from UK in Motors forum.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

TarfHead wrote: »
    Supermarket chain Superquinn has confirmed it is to shed 400 jobs and close its Dundalk store.

67 jobs will be lost in Dundalk.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0121/superquinn.html

nice to see them bring up the cross border shopping, although I'd say it would have more to do with the store itself being generally crap and not really worth it, not only compared to shopping up north, but also with Lidl, Aldi, 3 Dunnes and 2 Tesco already in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

but also with Lidl, Aldi, 3 Dunnes and 2 Tesco already in the town.
    How in God's name can that lot survive in Dundalk. Esp with cross border shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Bond-007 wrote: »
    How in God's name can that lot survive in Dundalk. Esp with cross border shopping.

I think a second Aldi has just opened too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are actually 4 Dunnes in Dundalk.

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=17.

The newest one "Neighbourhood SC" is in Muirhevnamor.

Sad to see Superquinn go but looks like it's just a sign of the times. Living in Dundalk I have never seen the attraction of going North at least for the everyday stuff bread butter milk etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

4 Dunnes :eek:

There are hardly enough in Dundalk to support all that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

I bought 3 mattress's in Newry last week.
    Got them from O'Reillys Furniture on the Old Warrenpoint Road.
    They took Euro in cash and gave me 1 euro = 1 Sterling.
    They then delivered them for free.
    I live in Co.Meath.
    Family run business very easy to deal with and better value than Dreams who wanted 40 sterling to deliver.

Down to Sainsbury's last night (from Drogheda).

No queue at all into Newry - plenty of parking - store very quiet, maybe lucky but it was a Wednesday night. Reckon we saved EUR150+ on a monthly shop so definitely worth it. The difference in price on some items was a bit of an eye-opener!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

Is there someone else doing any good alcohol offers?
    I bought some Coors in Asda when it was at £7 for 20 bottles a month ago and the best offer I can see today is 8 bottles for £6!
    Wine like Wolfblass has also increased. :(

Advertisement