Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shoppingexplore

Slightly OT but for those who buy up north, do you just use credit cards or do you have to convert euro to sterling? Not sure which works out cheaper.

Best way is to use credit card then you get the exchange rate of the day as shops are sometimes slower to respond to changes or use your cash card and take sterling out of the cash machine and again exchange rate of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Hi opening hours in Northern Ireland on a Sunday are 1pm to 6pm only. Its a legal constraint and not allowed to open on Easter Sunday either I think!

You're right that 1 is the official sunday opening time but they get around it by opening the stores at 12 on sundays but tills don't open till 1 so you've an hour to wander round filling up the trolley before you can buy anything !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

A lot of people have commented on the poor customer service in the south. I was in Tesco today and asked an assistant about a certain product that I couldnt see on the shelf. I was shocked by the unhelpfulness and rudeness of her. Such a difference from the north. I certainly won't be back there, to be ripped off and treated that way. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

Best way is to use credit card then you get the exchange rate of the day as shops are sometimes slower to respond to changes or use your cash card and take sterling out of the cash machine and again exchange rate of the day.

You actually get the rate that applies on the day they post it,see your credit card bill for details(usually the next day with bigger outlets) Could be up to a week with smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

Pound Stretchers,near Dunnes Grocery in Newry, are selling a Mini Cast Iron Chiminea (outdoor woodburning heater)for £35.Same as the one in the Argos catalogue for €75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Anyone know a good place to buy power tools in belfast. Need a chainsaw, mitre saw, jig saw?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

GG66 wrote: »
    Anyone know a good place to buy power tools in belfast. Need a chainsaw, mitre saw, jig saw?
    I know it's not Belfast, but I was in BN in Newry and they had electric chain-saws for £30. Can't vouch for the quality.

B&Q at the DaMolly outlet are offering 10% off any purchase in the two weeks after your initial purchase. The nice guy on the till gave us 10% on our first purchase today, so it might be worth a haggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Agreed. As a rule, stick to using your CC or DC as the in-store exchange rates for hard Euros aren't as usually as a good as the actual currency market rate.

Also, be aware that many stores in NI don't take Lazer cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Agreed. As a rule, stick to using your CC or DC as the in-store exchange rates for hard Euros aren't as usually as a good as the actual currency market rate.

Also, be aware that many stores in NI don't take Lazer cards.

True, but I noticed that the big Tesco at Springhill, Bangor, had a sign up saying they accepted Laser Maestro. I can't imagine many southern shoppers make it as far as Bangor, but I imagine that this applies to all Tesco stores.

Also, given that most places will take Maestro, wouldn't that mean that all Laser cards would work in those places too? It's just that asking "Do you tale Laser?" might be answered in the negative because they probably won't know what a Laser card is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

milly4ever wrote: »
    A lot of people have commented on the poor customer service in the south. I was in Tesco today and asked an assistant about a certain product that I couldnt see on the shelf. I was shocked by the unhelpfulness and rudeness of her. Such a difference from the north. I certainly won't be back there, to be ripped off and treated that way. :mad:

i used to work in tesco as a teen and the amount of retards and lazy bastards that would be asking where stuff is.

you have 2 eyes & legs , yea? now piss off. (thats what i said to some customer on me last day)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

i used to work in tesco as a teen and the amount of retards and lazy bastards that would be asking where stuff is.

you have 2 eyes & legs , yea? now piss off. (thats what i said to some customer on me last day)

Funny the way the same minimum wage staff doing similar jobs in the North have the wit to know where something might be, and if they don't, to point them in the direction of someone who will, all the while treating the customer with some respect, cursory manners, a smile and no attitude, all for less take home pay and in considerably busier stores.
    Your attitude goes a long way to explaining what's wrong with the whole shopping experience in the south....how the hell do you expect to keep yourselves in work when you treat people who are ultimately providing your wages in that fashion?
    Retards and lazy bastards? In my experience that's usually the staff, not the customers in any given Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Chamonix

Hi, we are installing a house alarm and intend buying the equipment in the north. Can anyone advise where would be the best place to go? We would be driving from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

anybody can recommend jewellery shops north? maybe even addresses?looking for an engagement ring and wouldnt mind going up...

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Chamonix wrote: »
    Hi, we are installing a house alarm and intend buying the equipment in the north. Can anyone advise where would be the best place to go? We would be driving from Dublin.

Try Maplin, look on their site first www.maplin.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Congratulations to all the patriotic Northern Ireland shoppers.

You've actually made something change in this country for the better by your actions. VAT and alcohol tax will likely be reduced. This is the sort of economic stimulus this country needs.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lenihan-admits-vat-error-cost-us-8364700m-1673385.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Congratulations to all the patriotic Northern Ireland shoppers.

You've actually made something change in this country for the better by your actions. VAT and alcohol tax will likely be reduced. This is the sort of economic stimulus this country needs.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lenihan-admits-vat-error-cost-us-8364700m-1673385.html

Doesn't make a difference, I'll still buy it up North regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Anyone knows how looks prices on Tk Maxx in North and where will be the nearest to Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

where's the best deals for wine in newry at the moment? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Some updates- hopefully of use if you're travelling up:
    Bangridge Outlet stores
    Was travelling back on Sunday from Belfast- stopped off here at 12.30- approx 80 southern reg plates in the car park at that stage, all in having their coffee in Starbucks and Costa ..and waiting for the 1pm opening, so looking busy up there- carpark v.full by 2pm- hope this helps if you're thinking of travelling up.

2 for £10 on Linzt Easter eggs in the chocolate/coffee shop

Sainsburys have good value on Easter eggs- small cadburys- 3 for 5stg- however, they didn't have many large eggs in stock yet

saying that, southern supermarkets are making the effort this year (think they have 2 for 5 euro) which is much better value than the rip-off prices last year.

Sainsburys in lisburn- 'good steady stream of shoppers- mostly NI regs in the carpark but of course, mostly southerners in the wine section :D' Saturday morning- good selection of everything but you could see the washing powers and razors starting to run low...

Wine: the're doing very good value on Oyster bay (white) wine- 5.71 (or very close to that) a bottle....the're selling off a lot of crap (IMO) Pinot Grigio brands though, so be beware..
    I don't see the good deals on Cote Du Rhone that were there 6 months ago- in fact the French wine selection was poor in terms of choice..they have expanded their stock of new-world wines so if that's what your into, then you'll be pleased.

sweetie wrote: »
    where's the best deals for wine in newry at the moment? thanks

What sort of wine are you looking for- red/white/ new world etc etc Was in Sainsburys Saturday so might be able to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cicero wrote: »
    What sort of wine are you looking for- red/white/ new world etc etc Was in Sainsburys Saturday so might be able to help

mainly white, sauvignon blancs not bothered as long as they are decent to drink and good value. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

+1

Was in Sprucefield and The Outlet yesterday on my way home from Edinburgh.

No shortage of Irish accents or registration plates in either place. I heard a GAP employee say that TESCO are to build their largest store on the island, beside The Outlet.

Newry bypass is a frustration - they seem to be taking an age to get that part of the road upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sedona23

Any idea what Sainsbury in Newry are given as an exchange rate currently. They usually have it posted at the entrance. Planning to go up this week and at xmas the rate on the door was better than laser or CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

sedona23 wrote: »
    Any idea what Sainsbury in Newry are given as an exchange rate currently. They usually have it posted at the entrance. Planning to go up this week and at xmas the rate on the door was better than laser or CC.

87p yesterday in Newry. They didn't open their doors until 12:45 yesterday so don't count on getting in at 12.00. The place was mobbed and stuff was flying off the shelves. Trollies were piled high and the checkout wait was about 15-20 mins. Didn't see any great bargains.

sweetie wrote: »
    mainly white, sauvignon blancs not bothered as long as they are decent to drink and good value. thanks

Oyster Bay is your best bet at under £6 and a real bargain- they had boxes of the stuff in lisburn sainsburys (sorry I can't say what the Newry store had)

Loads of various Pinot Grigios at 1/3 to 50% off ranging from approx £4 - £6- the best of these (IMO) is Palastri...slightly more expensive than the others but at under at under £5, it's v.good value - don't go for the 'really cheap' pinot grigios-

Finally, I think it was about £5.50 (but definately under £6, Fish Hook sauv blanc from South Africa is also good

I'm afraid after that, I turned to the reds - just for anyone else, my favourite find was Zontes Footstep Shiraz/ Viognier 2007 (the 2006 was award winning) - at 7.99 stg, you won't go wrong

Sweetie:
    Heres a link to Sainsburys white wine offers- now that I see them, I can remember most of them were there in Lisburn Sainsburys but Newry should have the offers also.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/drinkguide/wine/white_wine/best_offers/white_offers.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bangridge Outlet stores
    Was travelling back on Sunday from Belfast- stopped off here at 12.30- approx 80 southern reg plates in the car park at that stage, all in having their coffee in Starbucks and Costa ..and waiting for the 1pm opening, so looking busy up there- carpark v.full by 2pm- hope this helps if you're thinking of travelling up.

Stopped off at the Outlet on the way up to Belfast on Saturday - around 5.00'ish - very quiet. Same story with Asda in Andytown and Sainsburys in Sprucefield this morning (9.30 and 10.30 respectively).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Enniskillen pretty busy today, Asda wedged, others not to, Easter eggs for 99p in Tesco (the same ones as 3/€5 down here)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

anyone know whats open up north today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

My God. The traffic up there yesterday morning - Monday. If i could have found my phone i would have filmed it.

Took an hour from when i crossed the border to getting down to the car parks in Newry. Another 40 mins to find a parking space.
    And 30 mins waiting in the checkout queue. Then i couldnt get out of the car park with people sitting in their cars waiting for spaces and blocking up the whole bloody car park.

Never again.

Advertisement