Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PressRun wrote: »
    I think you're about right on the certainties there. Though I think Jordan Flynn will start if Jason Doherty still isn't up to speed (which he might not be given training etc is now off).

One hundred percent same thinking.

Jordan Flynn will likely start if Doc isn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Strange times we're in. I think we'll be very lucky to see a championship at all this year tbh.

Might watch some old games in the meantime. Anybody have any favourties from down through the years? I still have great love for the 2006 Dublin Mayo match myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Strange times we're in. I think we'll be very lucky to see a championship at all this year tbh.

Might watch some old games in the meantime. Anybody have any favourties from down through the years? I still have great love for the 2006 Dublin Mayo match myself.

Cork 2011.
    Dublin 2012.
    Galway 2013.

All great days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Personally think there won't be an AI championship this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

We'd have to win the All Ireland to surpass 2006 for how epic it was. Although I'd probably have 2017 in there at number 2 even though we lost. Probably the best AI finl in living memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Cork 2011.
    Dublin 2012.
    Galway 2013.

All great days out.

Replay against Roscommon 2017
    Replay against Kerry 2017

Along with the above but Dublin 2006 is one of my faves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Mayo vs Galway 1998 was on Tnag today at around 4,. It's funny when you see the game and how slow it is based on today's game. There was a hit and hope style to play where the ball was kicked in and competition for it was 50/50 where today it's a procession based/holding onto the ball until a chance for a score is created.

If Padraig O Hora brings his Special Forces Ultimate Hell Week performances on to the pitch this summer we'll be blessed ( if in fact we've a championship ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have always loved the 2013 quarter final v Donegal too. One-sided and not exactly competitive, but was very cathartic at the time!

Might rewatch the 2013 semi-final between Kerry and Dublin too. My all-time favourite game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mayo vs Galway 1998 was on Tnag today at around 4,. It's funny when you see the game and how slow it is based on today's game. There was a hit and hope style to play where the ball was kicked in and competition for it was 50/50 where today it's a procession based/holding onto the ball until a chance for a score is created.

was more enjoyable as a spectacle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Knex123

who owns football pitches i thought trustees not individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Knex123 wrote: »
    who owns football pitches i thought trustees not individuals

My understanding is, and I may be incorrect, that while the vast majority of club pitches are vested in the GAA and as such are overseen by trustees thus enabling them to draw down GAA grants, it is not a necessity when it come to participation in GAA games.

charlie14 wrote: »
    My understanding is, and I may be incorrect, that while the vast majority of club pitches are vested in the GAA and as such are overseen by trustees thus enabling them to draw down GAA grants, it is not a necessity when it come to participation in GAA games.

Don't mind that account, looks like it was created to try and stir up **** for Breaffy. They have a thread on the Mayo forum saying that Breaffy GAA are putting up phone masts on their property, awful shocking behaviour etc.

Load of BS

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Saw this on Twitter and thought it was v good, some v tough decisions, tried to keep them in their original positions as much as I could, spent a good hour at this!

A one club county XV,
    Pick a county team but can only use one player per club (I went from 1990-2020)

1-Clarke (Ballina)
    2-Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    3-Boyle (Davitts)
    4-K Mortimer (Shrule/Glencorrib)
    5-P Durcan (Castlebar)
    6-L Keegan (Westport)
    7-N Connelly (Hollymount)
    8-T Parsons (Charlestown)
    9-A O’Shea (Breaffy)
    10-C Mcmanamon (Burrishoole)
    11-C O’Connor (Ballintubber)
    12-C McDonald (Crossmolina)
    13-A Moran (Ballaghdereen)
    14-A Freeman (Aghamore)
    15-K O’Neill (Knockmore)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1243581772262264835

Might keep Mullin and ruane now so

FYI

It's the finale of Special Forces Ultimate Hell Week.

Padraig O Hora has been in the top 2-3 from the get go.

Playing inter county football is a walk in the park compared with this challenge.:)

Hope he brings home the bacon!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

1- D Clarke (Ballina)
    2- K Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    3- D Heaney (Swinford)
    4- B Harrison (Aughamore)
    5- P Durcan (Castlebar)
    6- L Keegan (Westport)
    7- C Boyle (Davitts)
    8- Pat Fallon (Balla)
    9- A O’Shea (Breaffy)
    10- J Doherty (Burrishroole)
    11- C O’Connor (Ballintubber)
    12- C McDonald (Crossmolina)
    13- A Moran (Ballaghdereen)
    14- P Brogan (Knockmore)
    15- C Mortimer (Shrule/Glencorrib)

Green&Red wrote: »
    1- D Clarke (Ballina)
    2- K Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    3- D Heaney (Swinford)
    4- B Harrison (Aughamore)
    5- P Durcan (Castlebar)
    6- L Keegan (Westport)
    7- C Boyle (Davitts)
    8- Pat Fallon (Balla)
    9- A O’Shea (Breaffy)
    10- J Doherty (Burrishroole)
    11- C O’Connor (Ballintubber)
    12- C McDonald (Crossmolina)
    13- A Moran (Ballaghdereen)
    14- P Brogan (Knockmore)
    15- C Mortimer (Shrule/Glencorrib)

A sorry to Conor but Kenneth has to make that team. Watching back old TG4 games reminded me just how good he was and the silliness of the 1997 final and the defensive rejig where he still wasn't out on Maurice Fitz. Kevin Cahill also hard done by but I guess Andy nudges him out.James Nallen the same. It is very tough isn't it!!!!!!!But Kenneth has to slot in for Harrison there . So another corner forward needed. Maybe kevin O neill? so then Brogan misses out.........someone else can find the missing forward my head hurts. Maybe John Casey actually

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

We have a lot of class backs, less so in the forward line, thats why Conor makes it over Kenneth

It came down to Conor + Harrison V Kenneth + Freeman

While Chucky was a savage player, the Bomber was the greatest player ever to lace a boot, so he has to be there. His goal in the '92 county final from 40 yards and the point against Ballina in the '96 final alone get him on that team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

A lot of Conor v Kenneth debates, but for me the best Mortimer of all was Trevor.

Kenneth, best corner back in the country in '96 and '97. No question! We were gone early in '98, he was an average centre forward for us in '99 and it kinda just petered out after that....

Trevor was the ultimate team player, played in a variety of positions, always left everything he had on the field and sacrificed his own game for the good of the team - which is something that could never be said for the other lad!! Kinda felt he was shafted at times due to his versatility and never got a proper run in one position, although he suffered a lot from injuries too. Was brilliant at centre forward in '09 but his best years were probably '07 and '11 when he played at wing back. I'd have loved to see him get a proper run at 6 or 7 as I felt it was probably his best position. A huge loss who could have made a difference in 2012 and 2013 IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

Thought his best year was 2004 as a full forward.

Final hammering versus Kerry probably cost him an All-star that year

An interview with that truly wonderful ambassador of Mayo GAA Tom Parsons on OTB.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/page/2/filter?filter_selected=none&show=off-the-ball&series=all

Padraig O Hora and the other lads excelled themselves.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    Padraig O Hora and the other lads excelled themselves.

Well done.

He is one hard nut. Very impressive guy with his attitude. i really hope he makes it at senior level.

km79 wrote: »

Its nice to wonder! Maybe he is just going back to the financial stuff.....

https://punditarena.com/gaa/mcorry/major-preparation-conor-omalley/

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/sports-frontline-workers-were-in-a-privileged-position-to-help-in-a-global-pandemic-992096.html

This was an interview with Aidan O'Mahony, a great article about community policing, but the salient piece is

“I called to Mayo All-Ireland winning footballer Paddy Prendergast and his wife Irene on Tuesday. They are living in Tralee. Paddy was sitting inside the window reading the newspaper. David and I sat on the porch and chatted away to him. We had a great conversation, most of which centred on Mayo football of course. It was nice for half an hour not to be thinking about what the country is going through.

“I gave my number to Paddy and Irene, and said, whatever you need, ring me, and even if I’m off, I’ll contact the station and it’ll be done. He is in great health, a mighty man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just sunderland till I die on Netflix. Basically a documentary following the fans and staff around as they as the go through the highs and lows of the season.

The passion of the fans reminded me of the mayo fans.

Mayo would make a great team to follow but it wont happen for many reasons but it would be an interesting thought.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement