Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewings During Covid-19 Outbreak

• 25-03-2020 5:39pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know what the story is with viewings while the virus is still in circulation.

Our lease is ending in the next few months, and one of the terms of the lease was that we had to allow viewings during the last month of the lease. Obviously I'm not sure what way things will be by that stage (we could be on lockdown) but I would not be happy with a load of randomers being paraded around the house, while potentially infectious.

Does anyone know are letting agents still carrying out viewings like this or would they have to wait until we've vacated before doing the viewings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm no expert so don't take this as legal advice but this looks like it might be relevant:

Government approves series of emergency measures to protect tenants
    Published on Thursday, 19 Mar 2020
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/private-rented-housing/government-approves-series-emergency-measures-protect-tenants
    Today the government approved new measures to give the strongest possible protection to all renters at this time of national emergency. A moratorium on notices to leave rental accommodation is being introduced as is a moratorium on rent increases so that people will be safe in their homes during this period.

Citizens info mention the moratorium:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19_overview.html#l86e64
    Housing
    Emergency measures were announced on 19 March 2020 to protect tenants impacted by COVID-19. These are:
    • A moratorium on notices to leave rental accommodation and a moratorium on rent increases for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic
    • An increase in the notice period for tenancies of less than six months from 28 to 90 days

Looks like this might be the law itself:
    https://assets.gov.ie/71890/915049eb3bb64e8881d326e9bcac999e.pdf

This look to be the bits about the moratorium .. maybe.. i dunno
    Notices of termination under Act of 2004
    5. (1) (a) A landlord shall not serve a notice of termination in relation to the tenancy of a
    dwelling during the emergency period.
    and
    (2) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), where a notice of termination (that cites as a reason for
    the termination concerned the ground specified in paragraph 1 of the Table to
    section 34 of the Act of 2004) served before the emergency period specifies a
    termination date that falls during or after the emergency period, the termination
    date under that notice shall be deemed to be the revised termination date.
    and
    (6) In this section “revised termination date” means, in the case of a notice of termination
    served before the emergency period, the date immediately following the expiration of
    a period that consists of the aggregate of—
    (a) the period of notice that remains unexpired on the commencement of the
    emergency period, and
    (b) the emergency period.

again, not a legal expert so to get legal advice, find someone legal

but that sounds like:
    • There's an emergency.
    • If your lease termination date is during the emergency, it is not anymore. It is now the end of the emergency.
    • The end of the emergency is the new termination date

but again, not a legal expert

I'd kinda be hoping landlords would be trying to avoid going near their tenants/customers anyway right now and until the threat of the virus is done.

I don't see them on the Essential retail outlets list here but I dunno:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/12e1d9-updated-measures-in-response-to-covid-19-tuesday-24-march/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My 30 second layman interpretation is slightly different Slydice.

My interpretation is the emergency period essentially stops the clock and no new notices to be issued during the emergency period.

E.g. if you had 5 weeks of a notice period remaining at the start of the emergency period. You will now have 5 weeks remaining from when the emergency period ends.

I also can't see how a landlord is a retail outlet, essential or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

The OP was not asking how they can stay in their current accomodation, they asked what the siuation is with allowing viewings during a time of a global pandemic when there's social distancing and a ban on more than four people gathering.

No letting agent is currently doing physical viewings. Alot of agents are doing virtual viewings where they either do a video walk through of the property and let potential tenants view it online or a video, whapsapp or skype walkthrough live at a set time.

No agent will put their own health nor owner, tenant or potential tenant at risk.

Its an evolving situation so we dont know what the HSE guidance will be in a few months time but expect everyone to follow it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Toots wrote: »
    Does anyone know are letting agents still carrying out viewings

Most letting agents and property managers that I have dealings with (3 in Dublin and 2 in Galway) have all their staff on remote working and have basically mothballed any activities they cannot do from home.

They are *no* viewings, at all, happening at the moment.

I'm sure you might be able to find an EA somewhere who is ignoring government advice and trying to continue business as usual- however, they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Also, keep in mind, notice periods have all been temporarily reset to a minimum of 90 days for tenants and landlords- to give additional security of tenure to tenants.

The legislative basis governing tenancies- has been updated even just in the last few days.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Also, keep in mind, notice periods have all been temporarily reset to a minimum of 90 days for tenants and landlords- to give additional security of tenure to tenants.

The legislative basis governing tenancies- has been updated even just in the last few days.

Jesus, thanks for that! I wasn’t aware of the notice period being increased. We are only renting this place for the year, and we want to move out at the end of the lease because we’re moving in with my parents to try and save a deposit. We had got a 30 day notice clause but I’d better make sure to give plenty of notice so we don’t end up stuck for an extra few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Most letting agents and property managers that I have dealings with (3 in Dublin and 2 in Galway) have all their staff on remote working and have basically mothballed any activities they cannot do from home.

I'm sure you might be able to find an EA somewhere who is ignoring government advice and trying to continue business as usual- however, they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Are you sure that's correct that it applies to tenants too? Would be a serious increase in their obligations to go from 30, 42 or 56 days to 90 days.

From the act:"A landlord shall not serve a notice of termination in relation to the tenancy of a
    dwelling during the emergency period." - no mention of tenant but some more knowledgeable folks here would know better I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

There’s no guidance online yet as it’s only being considered by Dail today so may be amendments.

However I think the trust of the law is to protect tenants rather than put more onerous requirements on them. It was simply to extend the minimum 90 day notice that applies to all Part Iv tenancies to those that are less than six months and don’t yet have the benefit of part Iv. It will be clarified when put into law I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The legislation only mentions termination notices by landlords. No mention of 90 days either.

As for the o/p the agent is most unlikely to try and show you apartment in any event. If you refuse all they can do is send you are warning letter threatening to terminate your lease.

Graham wrote: »
    My 30 second layman interpretation is slightly different Slydice.

My interpretation is the emergency period essentially stops the clock and no new notices to be issued during the emergency period.

E.g. if you had 5 weeks of a notice period remaining at the start of the emergency period. You will now have 5 weeks remaining from when the emergency period ends.

On re-read, that sounds right.

I also can't see how a landlord is a retail outlet, essential or otherwise.
    I don't know what you're contributing here.

Slydice wrote: »
    I don't know what you're contributing here.

refresher (emphasis mine):

I'd kinda be hoping landlords would be trying to avoid going near their tenants/customers anyway right now and until the threat of the virus is done.

I don't see them on the Essential retail outlets list here but I dunno:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/12e1d9-updated-measures-in-response-to-covid-19-tuesday-24-march/

• Advertisement

refresher (emphasis mine):

I wrote my post and read yours but I don't know what you're contributing

I wrote my post and read yours but I don't know what you're contributing

You appear to be suggesting landlords are going to be avoiding tenants because they are not on the list of essential retail outlets.

I can understand why you're confused.

Do you have more or different details about that?

I suspect the guidelines for retail outlets apply to retail outlets (aka shops).

Do you suspect something different applies to Landlords?

For my part, I don't know if they fall under the retail guidelines.

I would be hoping landlords would be trying to avoid going near their tenants/customers for the moment though.

Looking at this list:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/

I don't think Landlords doing viewings are included as part of the essential services.

I'm guessing that people are supposed to stay put whereever they are at the moment.

Landlords are accommodation providers. Accommodation is an essential so landlord providing accommodation or maintaining accommodation would be entitled to travel for that purpose.

Landlords are accommodation providers. Accommodation is an essential so landlord providing accommodation or maintaining accommodation would be entitled to travel for that purpose.

Nothing on the essential service providers list to support that interpretation.

Nothing on the essential service providers list to support that interpretation.

There is a category for accommodation providers with a non-exhaustive list of providers. It can hardly be the case that a person who needs accommodation simply cannot look at a potential property. What are they supposed to do?

hotels or similar providing essential accommodation (including homeless, direct provision and related services)

Nothing even remotely close to suggesting it's ok for landlords or estate agents to continue viewings.

Same for maintenance other than the privoso for emergency maintenance by plumbers etc.

Even less to suggest the general public can travel to view a potential new home.

• Advertisement

Nothing even remotely close to suggesting it's ok for landlords or estate agents to continue viewings.

Same for maintenance other than the privoso for emergency maintenance by plumbers etc.

Even less to suggest the general public can travel to view a potential new home.

Landlords provide essential accommodation. they also have statutory duties with regard to inspecting and maintaining their properties. They can't be expeted not to visit the properties and potential teats cant be expected to sleep on the streets until landlords come out or hibernation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is the interpretation I had understood as well. Unfortunately everything on hold for the next two weeks unless virtual viewings can be arranged. No move ins allowed as well.

Provision of services to homeless is listed.

You're having a laugh if you're suggesting a property inspection is an essential service.

Provision of services to homeless is listed.

You're having a laugh if you're suggesting a property inspection is an essential service.

It is essential for the tenants as is ensuring fire safety and refuse is removed and locks are secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭galaxy12

It's mad to be viewing in these times even with social distancing in place no matter the classification.
    Who knows how clean the property is and is it sanitized after /before each viewing.
    Landlords should probably have some online vieiwngs , make videos of the place and share them and only allow those who are really interested to come and view .

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

New builds are now doing virtual tours online.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Renjit wrote: »
    New builds are now doing virtual tours online.

Most new builds were doing CAD and actual virtual tours before now. Any decent estate agent was also doing the same for secondhand properties. Its not a new development.

Advertisement