Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Clareman wrote: »
    You've heard of the GAA haven't you? The big cash cow for them is the intercounty championship followed by filling Croke Park, these things will be prioritized over everything else

plenty of people go out to support their clubs aswell, they might not fill Croke park but they do get a hefty number of supporters regardless.

I'm wondering, what in ye're opinions are the best hurling matches? I've trying to look for some good ones now that no new ones are showing
    my personal favourites-
    2013 Drawn All-Ireland
    2012 All Ireland final replay
    1991 Munster final replay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In no particular order....

2013 All Ireland replay, 1997 All Ireland Final, 1995 All Ireland Final, 1995 Munster Final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Feenie wrote: »
    I'm wondering, what in ye're opinions are the best hurling matches? I've trying to look for some good ones now that no new ones are showing
    my personal favourites-
    2013 Drawn All-Ireland
    2012 All Ireland final replay
    1991 Munster final replay

kilkenny v tipperary could have their own slot , the 09 final the 2011 final or the 2014 finals were excellent games , probably the best of them all in my opinion was the 2003 league final not sure if theirs a youtube video of it knocking around but it was an excellent game

any time i watch the 1991 munster final game i keep thinking , they would never get away with that nowadays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Clare echo is doing a top team of recent history, looks like the team of the 90s is dominating but its only a bit of fun

https://www.clareecho.ie/vote-clares-greatest-senior-hurling-half-back-line-1990-2020/

• Advertisement

The Clare echo is doing a top team of recent history, looks like the team of the 90s is dominating but its only a bit of fun

https://www.clareecho.ie/vote-clares-greatest-senior-hurling-half-back-line-1990-2020/

such a hard call between Dalo and Donnellan...Both two incredible leaders.
    I like this project alot, it's good to see what the public thinks.

I hope Tony Kelly reappears on this in the half forward line. Such a tough call between him and Lynch. Colin was a tough man, a real leader and he was very stylish. But there's no end to Tony's skill and style and he's a leader in his own way.
    https://www.clareecho.ie/vote-clares-greatest-senior-hurling-midfielders-1990-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Lynch for me. He pulled games out of the fire for Clare when they were there to be won or lost. He set down markers, set the tone ect. Tony Kelly has never pulled a Championship game of note out of the fire for Clare. Hes a fantastically skillfull, loose hurler without the physicality and aggression of a Lynch. Tony Kelly could still become a Shefflin, Reid type figure but I dont see his influence matching those heady heights right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Lynch for me. He pulled games out of the fire for Clare when they were there to be won or lost. He set down markers, set the tone ect. Tony Kelly has never pulled a Championship game of note out of the fire for Clare. Hes a fantastically skillfull, loose hurler without the physicality and aggression of a Lynch. Tony Kelly could still become a Shefflin, Reid type figure but I dont see his influence matching those heady heights right now.

Lynchs scoring rate from midfield was excellent also. He played only one position though.
    Kelly is super as well. Different type of hurler. Possibley more versitile.. but if you were going to war,, who would you pick..

such a hard call between Dalo and Donnellan...Both two incredible leaders.
    I like this project alot, it's good to see what the public thinks.

Daly all the way.
    There were better hurlers on him that were out thought and hurled.
    He came out of corner back after 94 and had a huge influence.

• Advertisement

I hope Tony Kelly reappears on this in the half forward line. Such a tough call between him and Lynch. Colin was a tough man, a real leader and he was very stylish. But there's no end to Tony's skill and style and he's a leader in his own way.
    https://www.clareecho.ie/vote-clares-greatest-senior-hurling-midfielders-1990-2020/

I actually really hope he doesn't, 1 position for all, i would have had Kelly at 11, Lynch is the prototype midfielder for me, real 14 to 14 line player that did things like the pass to Jamesey and point against Waterford

Figerty wrote: »
    Lynchs scoring rate from midfield was excellent also. He played only one position though.
    Kelly is super as well. Different type of hurler. Possibley more versitile.. but if you were going to war,, who would you pick..

you'd pick Lynch to go deep into the trenches because he'd probably laugh under gun and bomb fire, he was one the hardest men to ever have played the game. But Tony brings modernity to his game with his speed and total skill. You'd look to Tony to inspire the lads with some of the mad stuff he does. Tony has all the skills of the game.
    For me it's Lynch but Tony is one of Clare's greatest. that's only in Midfield, without a doubt he'd make it in center or wing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXR4yeJAp-k&feature=youtu.be&noapp=1 bit of nostalgia here for all ye clare die hards😂😂

I know Kelly lines out in midfield a lot but I'm struggling to think of many games where he wore the 9 jersey, I'd say he has worn 11 a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Niallers87 wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXR4yeJAp-k&feature=youtu.be&noapp=1 bit of nostalgia here for all ye clare die hards����

Thanks. Hadnt seen that for a long time.I watched the 1980 final on TG4 recently and couldnt but admire Eamonn Cregan as a gifted hurler. Pity though he ever became an rte pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

For a bit of fun, my combined Clare team of the last 25 years:

Davy
    David Mc - B. Lohan - F. Lohan
    Doyle - Seanie - Daly
    Baker - Lynch
    Jamesie - Kelly - Conlon
    Griffin - Gilly - Sparrow

Tough calls on the likes of Gerry O'Grady, Brendan Bugler, Colm Galvin, Colin Ryan, Conor McGrath, SOD.

letowski wrote: »
    For a bit of fun, my combined Clare team of the last 25 years:

Davy
    David Mc - B. Lohan - F. Lohan
    Doyle - Seanie - Daly
    Baker - Lynch
    Jamesie - Kelly - Conlon
    Griffin - Gilly - Sparrow

Tough calls on the likes of Gerry O'Grady, Brendan Bugler, Colm Galvin, Colin Ryan, Conor McGrath, SOD.

Davy
    Pat O'Connor-Brian Lohan-Frank Lohan
    Bugs-Seanie Mac-Dalo
    Galvin-Lynch
    Jamesie-Kelly-Colin Ryan
    Gilly-Conlon-McGrath

I was watching the 2005 semi-final recently, what an absolute roasting Lohan gave to Brian Corcoran. Two time hurlers of the year and gave him so little ball, any ball he did went nowhere because of Brian.

Davy
    Pat O'Connor-Brian Lohan-Frank Lohan
    Bugs-Seanie Mac-Dalo
    Galvin-Lynch
    Jamesie-Kelly-Colin Ryan
    Gilly-Conlon-McGrath

I was watching the 2005 semi-final recently, what an absolute roasting Lohan gave to Brian Corcoran. Two time hurlers of the year and gave him so little ball, any ball he did went nowhere because of Brian.

Good team but theres no way I would pick Bugler in his prime over Doyle. Doyle made it look so easy that he is underestimated. A far better hurler than Bugler and Daly.
    Lohan had got a hard time of Corcoran at one stage.. never going to happen twice.
    No sure Colin Ryan is up there with that era.

Good team but theres no way I would pick Bugler in his prime over Doyle. Doyle made it look so easy that he is underestimated. A far better hurler than Bugler and Daly.
    Lohan had got a hard time of Corcoran at one stage.. never going to happen twice.
    No sure Colin Ryan is up there with that era.

Bugler to me stood out more, Doyle was a brilliant player, but the style class, and memorability of Bugler gave him the jersey for me.
    Colin Ryan to me was one of Clare's underrated giants. One of the greatest free takers of his time with pin point accuracy from placed balls. consistency and leadership.

Bugler to me stood out more, Doyle was a brilliant player, but the style class, and memorability of Bugler gave him the jersey for me.
    Colin Ryan to me was one of Clare's underrated giants. One of the greatest free takers of his time with pin point accuracy from placed balls. consistency and leadership.

Not a chance. Doyle was the most consistent hurler clare had for years. A better stick hurler than Sean McMahon and a nightmare to mark.

Bugler is a fine hurler but now way near the subtlety of Doyle. If you want bluster and running then Bugler is fine. If you want a wing back or centre back to make. Doyle's subtlety in the bick up of the ball was far superior to buglers. His abilty to clear long over his shoulder, under pressure going backwards to his own goal is a skill on it's own. Bulger was an 8 in his prine. Doyle was a 9.

• Advertisement

I can't see Bugler ever been better than Doyle. Colin Ryan was a good solid half forward but without his frees I don't know if he was ever guaranteed to be a starter and with him being on the same team as Jamesey I can't see him being put on the frees.

I can't see Bugler ever been better than Doyle. Colin Ryan was a good solid half forward but without his frees I don't know if he was ever guaranteed to be a starter and with him being on the same team as Jamesey I can't see him being put on the frees.

Would Bugler have disloged Doyle, McMahon or Daly,. He'd be close but ultimately in their prime you would go for any of the three slightly ahead.
    Daly's positioning and reading. If you look back at some of the key moments in matchs, Daly had himself and his hurley in the right place.
    Doyles skill level and mental strength, and Seanies postioning, reading and skill. All had presence and could control their own positons.

The games has changed in the time they were there, but if you looks at Tipps half back lines, Kilkennys' half back likes, they hurl the same way as Clare did. Beat the man, Win the ball, use the ball. The sweepers have changed that a little.. but no team using a sweeper has won an All-Ireland final.

Looking at the voting here they are struggling to pick some players and it doesn't seem to be equal, there are 4 players up for each of the midfield positions and 3 for every other 1for example.

I would also question whether John Moroney, John Russel, Val Donnellan and Tommy Guilfoyle were top players in the 90s on, they don't even have a Clare jersey on in the pictures :D

Some of the positions for some of the players are "interesting", Tony Griffin is up for 11 but he's wearing number 10 in the picture even, I can never remember Shane O'Donnell getting a 13 jersey and Podge would often be there, I'd have always put Gilly down as a corner forward rather than full forward but I guess that's up for debate.

Looking at the voting it appears to me that they want to make sure of a few players getting on the team, for example I don't think anyone could vote for David Forde or Cyril Lyons over Shane O'Donnell but put Sparrow up against SoD and I'd say SoD would struggle but then you'd also have SoD up against McGrath.

Would Bugler have disloged Doyle, McMahon or Daly,. He'd be close but ultimately in their prime you would go for any of the three slightly ahead.
    Daly's positioning and reading. If you look back at some of the key moments in matchs, Daly had himself and his hurley in the right place.
    Doyles skill level and mental strength, and Seanies postioning, reading and skill. All had presence and could control their own positons.

The games has changed in the time they were there, but if you looks at Tipps half back lines, Kilkennys' half back likes, they hurl the same way as Clare did. Beat the man, Win the ball, use the ball. The sweepers have changed that a little.. but no team using a sweeper has won an All-Ireland final.

The 3 lads together were just a brilliant unit, I don't think anyone could dislodge any of them but they were blessed having a holding full back behind them and a powerful midfield in front of them, they could always hurl fro the front as they knew if they missed the ball they'd have someone covering them.

The game was also completely different back then, back then it was almost totally zonal, you had your spot on the field and that was it, I would say that the Kilkenny team under Cody changed all that by having 6 forwards who could play in any position and constantly moved, it wasn't unusual to see the corner forward out on the opposite wing along with the wing forward so all of a sudden you had 2 forwards on 1 back or you had loads of space in behind.

The 3 lads together were just a brilliant unit, I don't think anyone could dislodge any of them but they were blessed having a holding full back behind them and a powerful midfield in front of them, they could always hurl fro the front as they knew if they missed the ball they'd have someone covering them.

The game was also completely different back then, back then it was almost totally zonal, you had your spot on the field and that was it, I would say that the Kilkenny team under Cody changed all that by having 6 forwards who could play in any position and constantly moved, it wasn't unusual to see the corner forward out on the opposite wing along with the wing forward so all of a sudden you had 2 forwards on 1 back or you had loads of space in behind.
    I saw the Limerick Galway final on all-ireland gold a few weeks ago. The game has been changing all the time.
    I watched the Cork -Galway final last Sunday, Cork were far more static and wristy than Galway. Galway through Naughton, Killkenny were far more aggressivly running.
    Galway had tried the 3 midfield tactic under Farrell. It worked for a short while untill the other teams figured out the runners ran out of gas. Every generation has to deal with new dimensions.

I was at the 92 Junior Final C vs Kk. Kilkenny played the replay of the Leinster final that day. They player the 6 moving and totally upset the Wexford mojo. Ger Cush was pulled away from full back.
    The Kilkenny diagonal ball was adopted by Clare with running wing forwards.

I think the most significant thing that has happened is that kids are starting at U6 now. I started at 11 training with a team. So the skills have advanced massively. Take a player from 1990, and if they had the same development as the players now, they in the main would adapt to todays game..I think..

So when it comes down to it, a player in it's own time has to judge on the influence they had in their own time but could they adapt. Yes, I think they could in the main.

Brendan to me get's in over Doyle very narrowly because Brendan was memorable. He's a great icon of our county all throughout the decade. If you saw him play the recognized him. Liam's name isn't mentioned as much. In fairness to him he was playing alongside the greatest centre back of all time and one of the greatest wing backs. He was a success for Clare in years when nothing was on and the same when things were on.
    Although something to say is that it's the line that changed hurling. As one user said,beat the man, win the ball, use the ball. I think bugs just had that quality of being unforgettable over Doyle.

Brendan to me get's in over Doyle very narrowly because Brendan was memorable. He's a great icon of our county all throughout the decade. If you saw him play the recognized him. Liam's name isn't mentioned as much. In fairness to him he was playing alongside the greatest centre back of all time and one of the greatest wing backs. He was a success for Clare in years when nothing was on and the same when things were on.
    Although something to say is that it's the line that changed hurling. As one user said,beat the man, win the ball, use the ball. I think bugs just had that quality of being unforgettable over Doyle.

That's like picking Dan Shanahan over TJ Reid.
    Doyle was a far more skillful hurler, used far less energy in any match to get the job done. Doyles delivery was also very measured in a time when this wasn't as precise.

Go back and look at any Clare match from the 94 onwards. Watch Doyle closely, then you see the real class. A bit like Brian Whelahan who I reckon was the greatest wing back of all time.
    There is an art in shutting down a wing forward and dominating the postion. The great ones don't need to be seen.

That's like picking Dan Shanahan over TJ Reid.
    Doyle was a far more skillful hurler, used far less energy in any match to get the job done. Doyles delivery was also very measured in a time when this wasn't as precise.

Go back and look at any Clare match from the 94 onwards. Watch Doyle closely, then you see the real class. A bit like Brian Whelahan who I reckon was the greatest wing back of all time.
    There is an art in shutting down a wing forward and dominating the postion. The great ones don't need to be seen.

It's a thing about me, I would go for Dan Shanahan many times before I'd go for T.J Reid. I've never been a big fan of Reid. I can't remember many of his scores. Dan has a lot of big ones I like alot.
    I value style and memorability over overt and mechanical efficiency. In away it's a form of leadership. It's apart of what makes hurling the greatest game in the world.

A guy with 7 All Ireland medals versus a guy with none, even if he was just a sub on every team I'd pick him every day of the week, that kind of winning expierence/mentality trumps almost everything else.

• Advertisement

A guy with 7 All Ireland medals versus a guy with none, even if he was just a sub on every team I'd pick him every day of the week, that kind of winning expierence/mentality trumps almost everything else.
    Dan Shanahan never had the privilege of being managed by Brian Cody. Or playing nextside to Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, Eddie Brennan and J.J Delaney.

Advertisement