Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

deiseach wrote: »
    I remember the night well. Brick Walsh was just phenomenal the same night. It was after being a bad year for Waterford hurlers getting knocked out of the championship by Wexford and losing a big lead to Cork in the Munster final and people were asking would these lads (Shane Walsh and Brick etc) stick with the football as the future looked bright for the big ball, but things actually regressed after this rather than progressed.
    I didn't know any of them at the time bar Gooch, but looking at the calibre of other players on that Kerry team, Donaghy, Declan O'Sullivan, Bryan Sheehan, Scanlan etc that went onto win multiple All Irelands afterwards brings home the enormity of the achievement. Remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

KevIRL wrote: »

By all accounts this will not be happening either.Farcical at this stage if the rumours are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

God I really enjoy this thread :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

greenspurs wrote: »
    God I really enjoy this thread :D

Meanwhile in Kilkenny, 5 years after Eddie Brennan accused Barry Kelly of conspring against them, the longest witchunt of inter county referees by a single county continues...the latest instalment the camogie final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Meanwhile in Kilkenny, 5 years after Eddie Brennan accused Barry Kelly of conspring against them, the longest witchunt of inter county referees by a single county continues...the latest instalment the camogie final.

You should have put a comma after 'instalment' .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dont knw what to think of this

is it happening or just rumours again ???

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

deiseach wrote: »
    I remember the night well. Brick Walsh was just phenomenal the same night. It was after being a bad year for Waterford hurlers getting knocked out of the championship by Wexford and losing a big lead to Cork in the Munster final and people were asking would these lads (Shane Walsh and Brick etc) stick with the football as the future looked bright for the big ball, but things actually regressed after this rather than progressed.
    I didn't know any of them at the time bar Gooch, but looking at the calibre of other players on that Kerry team, Donaghy, Declan O'Sullivan, Bryan Sheehan, Scanlan etc that went onto win multiple All Irelands afterwards brings home the enormity of the achievement. Remarkable

Yep. At the game also. What a feeling when Shane punched home the goal. Brick and rockett class same night. I also taught only gooch was with Kerry that day. When you see the other names it makes the win more special.

cul beag wrote: »

By all accounts this will not be happening either.Farcical at this stage if the rumours are to be believed.
    I was thinking as much, The article says that Fanning has already cut ties with Davy Fitz management team a few weeks back, yet he was in attendance at Wexford club championship games with Davy over the weekend???

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Is it possible we have reached a stalemate scenario? It appears:
    Pat Ryan was offered the job but turned it down
    Mattie Kenny was offered the job but turned it down
    Sean power management team appears to be out of the running due to players input
    Pauric Fanning management team appears to be out of the running due to selectors withdrawing

A lot of the above is based on rumours but the longer this draws out and no appointment made, the more the rumours appear to have some truth to them.

Are any other candidates bring considered for the job?

you are forgetting about Brendan Cummins & John Allen! Who have also been approached by CB delegates directly.

It is a complete farce.

I am amazed that people still find it within themselves to hold the previous mgmt regime to account! When clearly this is a county board issue!!
    yep I blame the county board , they did give the previous management the job in the first place ,and then gave them an extension , sheer lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Have to admire your persistance and consistency hurler on the ditch, but that aside you haven't a balls notion what you are talking about and you are in for a very rude awakening when who ever the new man is takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭914

No smoke without fire

Hard to see Fanning having much impact but hopefully he gives some players the opportunity to express themselves more and we try a new way of playing

Hopefully he learnt a lot from Davy Fitz and has met with the player reps to discuss plans etc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hard to see Fanning having much impact but hopefully he gives some players the opportunity to express themselves more and we try a new way of playing

Hopefully he learnt a lot from Davy Fitz and has met with the player reps to discuss plans etc
    To give credit where its due, he's probably as qualified as anyone within the county to take it on.
    Hes had club success with Mount Sion and James Stephen in KK, Fitzgibbon Cups with WIT and been an intercounty selector with Waterford Clare and Wexford. You can't say he hasn't served his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Learned from one of the most negative coaches in the country , hopefully not

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

To give credit where its due, he's probably as qualified as anyone within the county to take it on. Hes had club success with Mount Sion and James Stephen in KK, Fitzgibbon Cups with WIT and been an intercounty selector with Waterford Clare and Wexford. You can't say he hasn't served his time.

His coaching experience isn't in question. The problem is his man management skills! The polar opposite to McGrath. He will need good selectors around him is all I will say

With all the talk surrounding Walsh Park, Louth GAA also in redevelopment of a stadium opting to move out near Dundalk IT.

"Louth looking to build an €8m, 12,000-capacity stadium that will include four dressing-rooms, floodlighting and a hospitality area, as well as media and medical facilities close to DKIT."

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/louth-gaa-to-build-new-8m-home-in-dundalk-37311031.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

To give credit where its due, he's probably as qualified as anyone within the county to take it on.
    Hes had club success with Mount Sion and James Stephen in KK, Fitzgibbon Cups with WIT and been an intercounty selector with Waterford Clare and Wexford. You can't say he hasn't served his time.

He didn't win anything with James Stephens in Kilkenny
    Did he serve as selector with Clare. Don't think he did.

The type of hurling he will more than likely have us playing is what frustrates. Since Justin we haven't had an attack minded manager and now looks like more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Has Fanning been confirmed by the county board?

• Advertisement

Has Fanning been confirmed by the county board?

No confirmation till monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

He didn't win anything with James Stephens in Kilkenny
    Did he serve as selector with Clare. Don't think he did.

The type of hurling he will more than likely have us playing is what frustrates. Since Justin we haven't had an attack minded manager and now looks like more of the same.

WIT were beaten by 14 points under his stewardship! doubt thats top of the CV

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Paraic Fanning, Pa Kearney and big Dan is the final draft apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I heard the above with James Murray in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I heard Paraic Fanning is no longer in the picture. It was confirmed on Boards.ie a few days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Eddie Brennan gone to Laois. Would he have been a viable option?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Eddie Brennan gone to Laois. Would he have been a viable option?

I don’t see how Brennan would be more qualified than Fanning or Seán Power. Fanning involved in a number of senior intercounty set ups so it’s a logical step for a local. Seán Power has won a minor and U21 which Brennan hasn’t done.
    Brennan was an incredible player but he has a lot to prove as a manager. He could be a good fit to reinvigorate Laois however I don’t think he would have been the man for us at this point.

Was Pa Kearney the ex panel member who was in a car crash or something and had to retire ???

At least we have a management team in place and they can start planning now. It was a shame about Ryan and Kenny but the travelling would be too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Was Pa Kearney the ex panel member who was in a car crash or something and had to retire ???

At least we have a management team in place and they can start planning now. It was a shame about Ryan and Kenny but the travelling would be too much

Yes, that's him. Article here about him is a few years old but gives his background https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/erins-own-coach-pa-kearney-i-had-broken-my-back-and-was-unable-to-walk-424813.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement