Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Cow "riot"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Brian? wrote: »
    Diversity my balls. The Red Cow, the Spawell and Cocos were are like this when I went there the odd time in the 90s. This is nothing new, only the faces are new.

I went there back in the day quite a bit. Never were there helicopters or riot police. Maybe a few drunk wide boys kicking their weight around. Nothing even close to the scale of what was going on in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Brian? wrote: »
    You think every nightclub fight is newsworthy?

Absolutely not. Did you see the videos of last night? There must have been about 30 squad cars and I don’t know how many guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

We have armed Garda support in Longford now. And it ain’t for the ‘Foreigner’ population. I’m sure there’s plenty of video evidence of that too.

Yeah but you can read about that in the papers. You won’t read about last night in the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Sure Harcourt street has always been a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

But surreal seeing those types amidst the backdrop of that wonderful Georgian architecture...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I went there back in the day quite a bit. Never were there helicopters or riot police. Maybe a few drunk wide boys kicking their weight around. Nothing even close to the scale of what was going on in that video.
    Exactly. I've been in a fair few "rough" clubs and pubs back in the day and yep witnessed a fair few scuffles and fights too, but like you say nowhere near the scale of that or the Leeson street stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I wasn't bothered watching the whole video but when I scanned it I didn't see anything unusually bad for a rowdy closing time at a club with a rough crowd.

That said if there really were anything close to 20 Garda cars and a helicopter there then that's a concerning drain on Garda resources and if An Garda thought they needed those numbers that's also concerning.

Can't understand the argument many are putting on here that events like this should not be reported as they are business as usual and have been for decades. Nightlife in this country would not be sustainable if every club in the country needed a Garda helicopter and up to 20 cars to provide safety for patrons at closing time. The first step in addressing any problem, is addressing that it is a problem by bringing it out into the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I wasn't bothered watching the whole video but when I scanned it I didn't see anything unusually bad for a rowdy closing time at a club with a rough crowd.

That said if there really were anything close to 20 Garda cars and a helicopter there then that's a concerning drain on Garda resources and if An Garda thought they needed those numbers that's also concerning.

Can't understand the argument many are putting on here that events like this should not be reported as they are business as usual and have been for decades. Nightlife in this country would not be sustainable if every club in the country needed a Garda helicopter and up to 20 cars to provide safety for patrons at closing time. The first step in addressing any problem, is addressing that it is a problem by bringing it out into the light.

There's other videos of lads battering the ****e out of one another inside, glasses and chairs flying the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Diva was always a kip; and that fight on harcourt street is not overly unusual.

Time to unclutch the pearls I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I must be drinking in the right spots.

I’d be more interested my daughter is dancing in the right spots. Some don’t have such concerns!

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I’d be more interested my daughter is dancing in the right spots. Some don’t have such concerns!

Ah my one is far from the age for being out dancing. But she knows the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Time for the Garda to step in and give those responsible a good hiding.
    These gangs are getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I find it notable that videos of fights of black people fighting get posted a hell of a lot more than people of white people fighting. It's great though, because you don't have to come out and say something openly racist, but you can intimate it by saying "this is the multi-culture society you want" and then claim shock when you're called out on it.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I find it notable that videos of fights of black people fighting get posted a hell of a lot more than people of white people fighting. It's great though, because you don't have to come out and say something openly racist, but you can intimate it by saying "this is the multi-culture society you want" and then claim shock when you're called out on it.

Where is your evidence for this claim?

Where is your evidence for this claim?

which part?

please be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think we should be "colour blind" in dealing with this type of thuggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

There sadly seems to be an issue with large groups of certain people gathering either for the expressed purpose of fighting or watching a fight.

If you attach the labels "black" or "travellers" to this you will be describing what's happening but you will also be discriminating against them for saying so.

So what happens? Nothing.
    Nothing is done to stop these problems because nobody wants to be seen to be a bigot.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I’d be less nervous for her in a mosh pit. I don’t mind her wearing black; but not that sort..

Pits are usually well regulated by those in them, anyone getting out of line gets put in their place pretty quickly.

which part?

please be more specific.

You said videos of blacks fighting gets posted more than whites fighting. I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion.

You said videos of blacks fighting gets posted more than whites fighting. I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion.

From my social media, where else?

On twitter this morning there was footage of a fight outside a club on Harcourt Street.

I come on to boards and here is another.

I am telling you that is what is in my feed.

Are you disputing the rest of what I said?

• Advertisement

On twitter this morning there was footage of a fight outside a club on Harcourt Street.

So no real evidence then. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

There's probably loads more videos of travellers fighting than black kids outside night clubs tbf.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Well unless you know of affrays of a similar scale at the same time involving white participants how do you know there is any bias?
    Whatever people try to claim violent incidents requiring the Garda helicopter and double digit squadcars are not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Perhaps.

That does not mean we, as a society, should shrug our shoulders and say "they happen to be of African extraction, so what?".

This does not bode well for integration and what you are seeing in Ireland is the embryonic beginning of the trouble in other western European countries some of which have been dealing with for decades involving social disorder and rioting in minority communities.

That is something we need to be concerned about and burying our heads in the sand is not the answer.

I don't like seeing this like most.

Most troubling from my perspective is whether the gardai and the justice system are properly equipped to deal with it. I'm sure i'm not the only one with concerns in that regard.

If anything they are integrating right in with the native population and doing as they do.

You're seeing the ones that are integrating with the knacker element.

You're hardly going to see videos of the ones integrating with study groups in school

nullzero wrote: »
    There sadly seems to be an issue with large groups of certain people gathering either for the expressed purpose of fighting or watching a fight.

If you attach the labels "black" or "travellers" to this you will be describing what's happening but you will also be discriminating against them for saying so.

So what happens? Nothing.
    Nothing is done to stop these problems because nobody wants to be seen to be a bigot.

Not true.

They are humans fighting. That's it.

You'd swear the indigenous warfare was not raging in this country for years.

If you attach labels then you are inviting those with an axe to grind to use it as a proverbial stick. It is easier to point to "the other" as someone to fear.

The problem here is anti-social behaviour and criminality in general.

The solution is lack of policing and community interaction, proper sentencing and proper prisons.

It is that simple.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Well unless you know of affrays of a similar scale at the same time involving white participants how do you know there is any bias?
    Whatever people try to claim violent incidents requiring the Garda helicopter and double digit squadcars are not normal.

Have you been to Swords lately, for example? And it is ALL irish.

A lad was shot dead on my dad's road in Dublin 15 before Christmas. An irish lad, shot by another irish lad.

Stop the nonsense, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

20 garda cars and the helicopter for a simple pub fight.. you can show some video evidence of something of a similar magnitude?

Theres maybe 20 gardai there. I'm not seeing 20 garda cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

I’d be less nervous for her in a mosh pit. I don’t mind her wearing black; but not that sort..

Wearing black? Are you serious? Your like a racist character out of Shakespeare's Othello... That was a few hundred years ago btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Your feed is somewhat your own making though. If your following people who are posting up fights only involving a certain demographic then stop following them.
    Its a well known fact now that social media shows you content that envokes a reaction.
    So you should probably change your feed

• Advertisement

So no real evidence then. Ok.

You asked where i saw what I saw.

I told you.

Your snippy reply doesn't acknowledge that.

Are you saying I didn't see them?

I also asked you if you had an issue with the rest of what I said.

So I'll ask you a second time. Do you have an issue with the rest of what I said?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement