Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scam (compromised security) regarding Amazon Prime

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I'm close to 100% certain that this is NOT what happened in this case. I could verify it very quickly if I could only learn what e-mail address was being used to authorise spurious payments from my account. I am mystified as to why Amazon can't tell me this.

Why is it a matter of Data Privacy that I am not allowed to know who is authorising payment from MY OWN ****ING BANK ACCOUNT??

Maybe it is one of my kids acting the bollox and lying about it to me. But why should I be in the position of holding my little treasures up to suspicion for this if I am being prevented from learning information that would easily exonerate them?

I don't understand the logic at all.

Maybe a letter to the Data Commissioner is in order.

I agree that there should be some way to get that information.

You do seem to be certain that it wasn’t your own family for unknown reasons. To me it’s almost certainly your family, as I don’t see why some thief would steal a credit card just for one purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

To me it’s almost certainly your family, as I don’t see why some thief would steal a credit card just for one purpose.

You see, you have just cast an unproven slur on my family right there. Don't worry. I'm not going to hunt you down and prosecute you. I'm not angry with you in the first instance. I'm angry first of all with whatever scrote tried to rip me off and second of all with Amazon for not letting me know (so far) the identity or at least the email address of whoever did it.

As for "why would they only rip me off for one purpose", some plausible explanations for that have already been given earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It was more than likely somebody you know. Who's gonna steal Amazon prime, it's shiit.

Go a month back on your card statements from the 1st bill date, and check what was purchased a few days either side.

You see, you have just cast an unproven slur on my family right there. Don't worry. I'm not going to hunt you down and prosecute you. I'm not angry with you in the first instance. I'm angry first of all with whatever scrote tried to rip me off and second of all with Amazon for not letting me know (so far) the identity or at least the email address of whoever did it.

I’m impressed that you are not going to prosecute me for implying that your pseudonymous self and your family might have access to your credit cards in a situation where a credit card “fraud” situation happened. Thanks. But you can’t defame pseudonyms. You asked a question here and you don’t like the answer. Tough.

As for "why would they only rip me off for one purpose", some plausible explanations for that have already been given earlier in the thread.

What plausible situation?

I’ve had my credit card details used 3 times. In all cases I was defrauded of significant money. Averaging about 300€. In all cases I was fully refunded as it was clear I wasn’t in Russia or New York.

That’s how credit card fraud works. Fraudsters don’t do it to sign up to a 7€ a month service which is going to be discovered within a month when they go to the trouble of stealing credit cards. They act fast too. If they get one purchase that works - typically for a dollar or a euro - they will buy as much as they can in the next few hours until the system catches them.

It’s someone you know.

Also if there’s fraud on your account you should recover the money not just cancel the card. The banks will do that without opposition provided you sign a document later (they’ll give the money back first) in which you sign that you are certain that the money you recovered was fraudently stolen by illegal use of your card. There will be a list of fraudulent transactions. The document is clear that if you lie or overclaim it is itself fraud.

Then it becomes a criminal case. A british policeman called me in a case where I signed that document as he wanted some information on a restaurant I had visited the day before. That’s all I heard but presumably some worker was scanning cards.

This will solve the amazon issue as the police will be able to get the details and if any case is brought you may be called.

So if certain it’s not family that’s the route to go. You get your money back and scrote is jailed. You seem certain so you should do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement