Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

pippip wrote: »
    Your calculations are way off, I know plenty of people with oil heating and would be nowhere near what your saying it costs. Your calculations on the oil leave out so many variables.

Any efficient boiler will use 3L/hour, to have constant heat for 12 hours you need to have the boiler running for 12 hours so can you explain how I'm way off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I buy coal and logs from Dairygold as I have a boiler stove as the only heat source. To keep the stove going for 12 hours a day costs roughly €8.5 and the house is still comfortably warm in the morning until the stove is lit at 1pm. The last fill is 9pm and it lasts until 1am. If I were to get the same heat from oil even with an efficient modern burner I would use 3L/hour @ 58c/L that would cost €20.88/day. So how do you come to the conclusion that oil is cheaper?

Its nowhere near double the cost for the same heat, thats not to say you wouldn't burn twice as much fuel, people with oil/gas boilers tend to put significantly more heat into their home, partly dues to the convenience, running heating for longer periods,being too lazy to turnoff radiators program zones and in general heating the entire house - you wouldn't find many people with boiler stoves heating the utility room or empty guest bedrooms.

At current prices the coal probably just about pips the kerosene. Its not so long ago the kerosene was 90+c a liter though at which time coal was saving several hundred euro a year versus oil for the average house.

Kerosene = 9.8kwh per liter 58c / 9.8 = 5.9c/ kwh

Assuming 85% efficiency for a real world condensing boiler with appropriately sized radiators, flow rate etc.

5.9c/kwh / 0.85 = 6.94c/kwh

Hiqh quality Bituminous coal = 8.5kwh /kg = 4.7c/kwh (assuming €16 per bag bought in bulk from coop - in Dublin probably more like €20 per bag)

Quoted solid fuel stove efficiencies are derived from an unrealistic test, real world efficiency of a modern boiler stove burning coal is probably 75% at best with dry fueld, appropriate loading, riddling, water circulation, draught adjustment, etc.

4.7c/kwh / 0.75 = 6.27c/kwh @75% efficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Any efficient boiler will use 3L/hour, to have constant heat for 12 hours you need to have the boiler running for 12 hours so can you explain how I'm way off?

For a start the boiler won't be constantly on for 12 hrs, it will turn on and off as needed. Along with the fact that if you're not in your home (assuming you don't spend 24hrs a day in your home) then oil can just be switched off.

I was really talking about wood on its own and going by the few blocks you'd get in a trailer for € 60 to € 80 and to generate the same heat. I reckon it would be cheaper to burn oil
    You're doing well to heat the house for twelve hours a day for under € 60 a week. How many bags of coal do you burn.
    It's € 19 euro for a bag of coal in the Co Op near me and I don't know how much the logs are.
    Coal @ €17.49/bag and logs €3/bag. I use 1/3 bag of coal a day and less than a bag of logs.

pippip wrote: »
    For a start the boiler won't be constantly on for 12 hrs, it will turn on and off as needed. Along with the fact that if you're not in your home (assuming you don't spend 24hrs a day in your home) then oil can just be switched off.

The 3L/hour includes the boiler cutting in and out. Trying to compare oil with solid fuel and saying the oil will only be turned on for a few hours isn't comparing like with like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭ Esteban Huge Firefight

Sam Kade wrote:
    Coal @ €17.49/bag and logs €3/bag. I use 1/3 bag of coal a day and less than a bag of logs.

I'm not doubting you but that seems very low usage for a boiler stove burning for 12 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

jaysus, how about we stick to actual bargains and do the cost/benefit/efficiency analysis in another thread. or better yet, forum

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ablelocks wrote: »
    jaysus, how about we stick to actual bargains and do the cost/benefit/efficiency analysis in another thread. or better yet, forum

Its getting worse in Bargain Alerts, the amount of off topic chat:eek:

I'm not doubting you but that seems very low usage for a boiler stove burning for 12 hours a day.

That's what I use no reason to lie, a fill will last 3-4 hours.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Its getting worse in Bargain Alerts, the amount of off topic chat:eek:

Would you consider minimal efficient usage a bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cutthegrass

Not sure if this is a bargain?

Got a leaflet through the door today from Eco Firewood Baldoyle D13.

(Can't post website link - maybe because I am a new user - ecofirewood dot eu)

At checkout these codes can be used: 'eco20' for 20 euro off a 1m3 crate of kiln dried firewood or 'eco40' for 40 euro off a 2m3 crate.

Online it seems the norm for a 2m3 crate of ash is around 360 euro - which is the same here. With the coupon it's 320 euro including nationwide delivery.

Last season I got a 1.5m3 crate of ash from my local Topline for 270 euro including delivery.

Has anyone used Eco Firewood before?

Isn't all firewood "eco"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cutthegrass

vicwatson wrote:
    Isn't all firewood "eco"?

I suppose so.

Just wondering about the business itself, quality of wood, delivery, etc. Never dealt with them before.

Whether it's worth taking a punt for 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Just seen this website and prices look ok

http://surefirewood.com/firewood/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got three bags from this supplier on adverts, great quality stuff and cheap - http://www.adverts.ie/fuel/hardwood-and-softwood-firewood-free-delivery/11260704

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Got three bags from this supplier on adverts, great quality stuff and cheap - http://www.adverts.ie/fuel/hardwood-and-softwood-firewood-free-delivery/11260704

Hard or softwood and how much please?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭webels

Hard or softwood and how much please?
    Cost is in the add if you click through.

webels wrote: »
    Cost is in the add if you click through.

Thanks, I had clicked through on phone but didn't see prices.

This whole firewood purchase is a minefield, trying to compare prices is very difficult.

Any ideas what weight is in a standard bag of softwood timber in the red net bag?

Local place charging €3.63 per bag, any places where I could get that sub 3 per bag, for the purchase of a pallet of it of 64 bags say ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Not sure if this is a bargain?

Got a leaflet through the door today from Eco Firewood Baldoyle D13.

(Can't post website link - maybe because I am a new user - ecofirewood dot eu)

At checkout these codes can be used: 'eco20' for 20 euro off a 1m3 crate of kiln dried firewood or 'eco40' for 40 euro off a 2m3 crate.

Online it seems the norm for a 2m3 crate of ash is around 360 euro - which is the same here. With the coupon it's 320 euro including nationwide delivery.

Last season I got a 1.5m3 crate of ash from my local Topline for 270 euro including delivery.

Has anyone used Eco Firewood before?

Prices seem good. A cubic metre crate of kiln dried ash is usually in the 220 to 240 range.

• Advertisement

This whole firewood purchase is a minefield, trying to compare prices is very difficult.

Any ideas what weight is in a standard bag of softwood timber in the red net bag?

depends on where you are sourcing it - some of the wood in the net bags that gets sold say at the likes of your local garage still has very high moisture content. I got a couple of bags of it a few years ago and wouldn't get it again.

edit : i think these are reasonable value, particularly if you can get 5 bags for the price of 4 which sometimes does come up as an offer. The 600kg pallet is 289, with free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have bought a mixed tonne pallet from www.greenfuelireland.com in Galway. It was half a tonne olive wood and half tonne "All Night Long" hardwood briquette all for 540.

The olive wood burns like coal, high heat and long lasting, I only use it once the fire gets going. The hardwood briquettes burn very well, high heat and only a little expansion (unlike other ones I have tried) and a tiny amount of ash, I use them to start and build up the fire.

I used to buy wood locally but as was mentioned, it is very hard to quantify the amount of timber purchased other than a trailer load (what size trailer?) and the quality of the wood and if properly seasoned. I bought a moisture meter and found that some of the wood varied widely in moisture content from 10% to 30%. Not much good boiling wood in a stove!!!

I had tried out a sample of the olive wood and hard wood briquettes before deciding on buying the pallet. I had used different brands of wood briquettes from different suppliers over a two year period and found the All Night Long ones to be the best. The next best were the Rocket Blaze from Prima Ecofuels in Ennis www.ecofuelbriquettes.com

depends on where you are sourcing it - some of the wood in the net bags that gets sold say at the likes of your local garage still has very high moisture content. I got a couple of bags of it a few years ago and wouldn't get it again.

edit : i think these are reasonable value, particularly if you can get 5 bags for the price of 4 which sometimes does come up as an offer. The 600kg pallet is 289, with free delivery

That co-op stuff looks way over priced assuming the pallet is the usual 1.1m

maximum12 wrote: »
    That co-op stuff looks way over priced assuming the pallet is the usual 1.1m

not sure about the dimensions. will measure crate later and see what it is....

I haven't seen anything to compare against it though - have you?

not sure about the dimensions. will measure crate later and see what it is....

I haven't seen anything to compare against it though - have you?

In the past I've ordered crates from country products and best logs. Both have prices online lower than the co-op.

The eco wood place mentioned above is also cheaper.

maximum12 wrote: »
    In the past I've ordered crates from country products and best logs. Both have prices online lower than the co-op.

The eco wood place mentioned above is also cheaper.

600kg kiln dried oak is €319 at www.ecofuelbriquettes.com (if this is the place you're talking about?

the best logs (oak or ash) 1.2m3 crates are approx 500kg @ 230 euro + shipping, which is free within Dublin, and minimum €25 euro outside of Dublin.

the country products crates are listed as 1m3 - suggesting that they are less again in kg terms - @ €220 (free shipping)

at €289, the co-op stores for 600kg to me is at least as good as, if not slightly better?

making comparisons would be a lot easier if there was a standard way of measuring obviously....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I found a guy on donedeal last year who was selling a trailer of hardwood logs, 8ft x 5ft x3ft trailer size. Delivered from Athy to Naas, 220 quid. There's over 3 cubic meters in it, as my log store full holds 3m3. Got another order off him this year too. Pm me if you want his number. I tried kiln dried logs, but they burnt up way too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

How does the mulch offering compare?
    1m3 bag of seasoned (less than 15% moisture) for 164 euro or 180 delivered?

Thanks in advance for your advice

600kg kiln dried oak is €319 at www.ecofuelbriquettes.com (if this is the place you're talking about?

the best logs (oak or ash) 1.2m3 crates are approx 500kg @ 230 euro + shipping, which is free within Dublin, and minimum €25 euro outside of Dublin.

the country products crates are listed as 1m3 - suggesting that they are less again in kg terms - @ €220 (free shipping)

at €289, the co-op stores for 600kg to me is at least as good as, if not slightly better?

making comparisons would be a lot easier if there was a standard way of measuring obviously....

No it's Ecofirewood.eu for €209

You can't compare firewood by weight only by volume and secondly how it's packaged. The crates are stacked so have a lot more wood than wood thrown into a 1m bag.

The country products listing is rounded to a metre. It's the same volume as best logs.

Wet firewood will be very heavy but useless for burning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Great info here, thanks everybody who posted! Beertons , When you mention your logstore which holds 3 cubic metres, could you elaborate? Is it one of those open sided affairs where you stack the logs but they are exposed to the air or a mini shed or like a coal bunker or what? I've been thinking of getting something but small garden and hard to know where to find space between windows/pipes on back wall and diagonal rain hitting some others!

Advertisement