Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did a scout around fuel merchants in northern Ireland and there doesnt seem to be any savings buying from there, by the time you convert pounds to euro prices for a 1.2m3 crate or 2m3 crate are more or less identical to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did a scout around fuel merchants in northern Ireland and there doesnt seem to be any savings buying from there, by the time you convert pounds to euro prices for a 1.2m3 crate or 2m3 crate are more or less identical to here.

I’m surprised considering the £ is so poor at the moment but transport is probably killing it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭skydish79

https://surefirewood.com/collections/firewood/products/premium-hardwood-1?variant=31346899353699

Says 1.8m3 large bag of oak kiln dried £179 plus delivery

Does it seem good value?

What would this be equal to in a crate?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

skydish79 wrote: »
    https://surefirewood.com/collections/firewood/products/premium-hardwood-1?variant=31346899353699

Does it seem good value?

They look quite expensive compared to others already mentioned in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Does it seem good value?

You are on the wrong website . They have an ie website

https://surefirewood.ie/collections/premium-kiln-dried-firewood-bulk-bags-and-pallets-delivered-to-your-door/products/premium-hardwood-1?variant=31150936096822#jumptosection

The super jumbo bag is 235euro delivered in the Republic . Look at the size guide . The bag is 1.2m wide and 1.8m high . Thats a lot of logs. Plus it is not just oak . It is Ash, Beech, Oak and Sycamore all hardwood .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Does it seem good value?

Who knows how much air is between the logs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

2forjoy wrote: »
    You are on the wrong website . They have an ie website

https://surefirewood.ie/collections/premium-kiln-dried-firewood-bulk-bags-and-pallets-delivered-to-your-door/products/premium-hardwood-1?variant=31150936096822#jumptosection

The super jumbo bag is 235euro delivered in the Republic . Look at the size guide . The bag is 1.2m wide and 1.8m high . Thats a lot of logs. Plus it is not just oak . It is Ash, Beech, Oak and Sycamore all hardwood .

Interesting...anyone ordered this bag? Looks like good value compared to the 2m crates for 350?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

cathy427 wrote: »
    Would you recommend these over kiln dried? Do they work out at much of a premium over kiln dried?

Also are you referring to the "rocket blaze" or the "blazing briquettes" or the "birch hardwood ruf briquettes"

The ones I recommend are the Rocket Blazers.

I have burned wood (and coal combination) in my stove since 2012. I have tried all the different type of sawdust logs I could buy and these rocket blazers are the best, IMO.

I have used timber logs from different guys and using a moisture meter but I gave up as the quality?moisture was inconsistent.

I tried kiln dried wood from a supplier in midlands and found it burned too quick, even with my stove controls.

For me the best value were the rocket blazers.

You can buy sample packs on the website and see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

lenscap wrote: »

I have burned wood (and coal combination) in my stove since 2012. I have tried all the different type of sawdust logs I could buy and these rocket blazers are the best, IMO.

I have used timber logs from different guys and using a moisture meter but I gave up as the quality?moisture was inconsistent.

I tried kiln dried wood from a supplier in midlands and found it burned too quick, even with my stove controls.

Can you put up a link

codie wrote: »
    Can you put up a link

Had a quick google out of curiosity

https://www.ecologs.ie/shop/eco-logs/rocket-blaze-wood-briquettes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭gooner99

lenscap wrote: »

I have an open fire and like you I usually find that the moisture level in softwood and hardwood logs isn't low enough. Kiln dried hardwood is great but it burns in a flash in an open fire. So I normally end up burning coal as it last longer and burns hotter in an open fire

I'd like to give these a try in an open fire. I wonder if these are sold under different names through different vendors?

Does it seem good value?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Interesting...anyone ordered this bag? Looks like good value compared to the 2m crates for 350?

Their Super Jumbo Bag is 1.8m3 but about 30% of that volume is going to be fresh air as the logs are not hand stacked in the bag, they just flow off a conveyor belt and fall into it the bag whereas with crates they are hand stacked so there is a lot less fresh air.

In fairness to this company they tell their customers that their 1.8m3 Super Jumbo bag is the same volume as a 1.2m3 crate on this page here https://surefirewood.ie/pages/comparison-guide
    Kudos to them because a lot of fuel merchants sell bagged logs and they include the fresh air in their volumetric calculations which is a bit deceiving really when selling by volume.

So this company Surefirewood is selling 1.2m3 of Oak, Ash, Sycamore & Beech for 235 and Monahans are selling their 1.2m3 crate of ash or oak for 243 or 1.2m3 of Birch for 225 http://www.monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php

In that case I think Monahans while 8 euro more expensive is better as you have a choice of ash or oak rather than a bundle of Ash, Oak, Sycamore and beech from Surefirewood. There might only be 5 or 10% ash/oak in their bags, they dont say whereas with Monahans you know exactly what you're buying in terms of the wood species. Plus Monahans have the 2m3 crate for 349 which is better value per cubic metre due to it being a bigger quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

TJ O'Mahony doing 1.2m crates of kiln dried Beech for €200

https://tjomahony.ie/88beech450-1.html

Usually get my firewood from Monahans but this time round, Monahans were prepared to do the 1.2m3 of Ash for €250 in an order that also included with 4 tonne of hardcore (including delivery <20km from Straffan), worked out over €100 cheaper for the whole lot including delivery from TJ O'Mahonys

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Topline look to have a super deal on Firewood.

450kg of birch for €150

400KG of ash and oak mixed for €189

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cyborg

aw wrote: »

450kg of beech for €150

It birch not beech..
    What's their delivery charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

cyborg wrote: »
    It birch not beech..
    What's their delivery charges?

Typo corrected.
    My local Topline doesn't charge for delivery locally.
    Each store is independently owned so might differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

450kg of birch for €150

Excellent prices for both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

doesn't seem to be online, but the limerick coopstore had 2 of these for €360

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Crate-Of-Kiln-Dried-Beech-Logs-430kg-0051916

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

Typo corrected.
    My local Topline doesn't charge for delivery locally.
    Each store is independently owned so might differ.

Did you stick a moisture level on it? all ok?

450kg of birch for €150

Thats a great price for ash & oak if delivery is included, if not it could be 40 or 50 euros extra. But if delivery is free then its the best price for a 1.2m3 crate on this thread. It says it is a sale so it might not last long at those prices

I pulled the trigger last week on 2m3 of oak from Monahans, it had actually gone up in price on their website from 350 to 370 since I had last checked but I rang them up and asked for the 350 price which they gave me. Happy with that as it should last me till around January 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

What’s the thoughts on rocket blaze?

Better than regular fire wood?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

What’s the thoughts on rocket blaze?

Better than regular fire wood?

Havent used them but read onwards from post no. 363 where someone has.

Just ordered the €150 deal from topline, my local shop said he doesn’t stock it due to lack of space but he will get it for me and €20 delivery

Thats a great price for ash & oak if delivery is included, if not it could be 40 or 50 euros extra. But if delivery is free then its the best price for a 1.2m3 crate on this thread. It says it is a sale so it might not last long at those prices

I pulled the trigger last week on 2m3 of oak from Monahans, it had actually gone up in price on their website from 350 to 370 since I had last checked but I rang them up and asked for the 350 price which they gave me. Happy with that as it should last me till around January 2022.

Delivery seems to be free for surrounding areas.

How long would 2m3 last you?

Never mind, just saw the january part of your post :D

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Just ordered the €150 deal from topline, my local shop said he doesn’t stock it due to lack of space but he will get it for me and €20 delivery

Where are ye based?

limnam wrote: »
    Where are ye based?

Cork

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Cork

Bandon stock it with free delivery.

limnam wrote: »
    Bandon stock it with free delivery.

Thanks for letting me know but I’m an hour away from Bandon so I doubt they will come out this far

Edit :- just called Bandon and sold out, no surprise really

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’s not a 1.2m crate though is it???

From their website - “H: 105cm W: 118cm D: 72cm“

Which equates to 0.89 cbm

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    It’s not a 1.2m crate though is it???

They don't advertise it as 1.2m

Advertisement