Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

smashey wrote: »
    Be careful when approaching Makro. While it is on the left of the M1 as you approach Belfast, you need to go right at the next exit. ;)

Please clarify.

IIRC, the next exit is Kings Hall. Down the off-ramp to roundabout. A right will bring you under the M1 to another roundabout. Straight ahead is Malone Road & access to Boucher Road. Keeping right at this 2nd roundabout leads you back to M1 heading South.

Or does it :confused: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

DonJose wrote: »
    "The Minister for Finance has said an increase in the number of people travelling North of the border to do their shopping had made things 'very, very difficult' when he was framing the Budget."

And then he adds .5% on to our VAT :(. Complete twat IMHO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

TarfHead wrote: »
    Please clarify.

IIRC, the next exit is Kings Hall. Down the off-ramp to roundabout. A right will bring you under the M1 to another roundabout. Straight ahead is Malone Road & access to Boucher Road. Keeping right at this 2nd roundabout leads you back to M1 heading South.

Or does it :confused: ?
    It will also take you back under the M1 past Makro. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 helpme07

£8 for 70cl bottle of smirnoff vodka in tesco's at the minute. offer ends Oct 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Be careful when approaching Makro.

They should have a sign for it on the motorway, I always miss the
    turn for it :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

TarfHead wrote: »
    Great post - thanks

AFAIK, Boucher Road is on RHS as you approach Belfast City while MAKRO is on LHS. Boucher Road is full of shops, especially DIY & Tile stores. DEKKO also used to be good for IKEA-style houseware.

As I said, Satnav helps.........until you hit roadworks, well used to the journey myself now. Can't remember road names though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I posted this on another thread but it may be more suited here. According to the BBC, ASDA and BP are to reduce the price of petrol in N.I. to 99p/l, which at current conversion rates is cheaper than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

Got myself two t-shirts at the weekend in a shop in banbridge. It was doing 1Euro = 1Pound and also a half price sale on the marked price.

The two t-shirts were marked at 5 each, then 50% off meant it was 5 for both. You could pay in Euro and get change back in sterling so I gave in a 20E note and got 15Sterling back. Daylight robbery on my part! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Easy Makro price conversion formula (rough but v. close): Add 50% for VAT inclusive price in Euros.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I would personally recommend avoiding Newry as the prices in Belfast/Lisburn are way cheaper than in Newry. Newry knows its market and knows how to charge.
    Even for the big multiples? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Do you have to be a member to shop in Marko or can anyone just arrive there. Thanks

Some good bargains in Makro alright:

42" Sharp LCD Freeview 1080p LC42SB55E €750
    500GB Lacie external HDD €60
    Acer Aspire 7515 Notebook 15.4" Intel DC T2330 2MB RAM, 80GB HDD €420

Not your ornery onager

Do you have to be a member to shop in Marko or can anyone just arrive there. Thanks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57595617&postcount=88

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The only thing I know Makro for is that they sell cheap poor quality cheese. In The Apprentice last year, the teams had to sell English produce in France and one set of fools decided to buy cheese in Makro. They were castigated for this decision and, needless to say, the French shunned their cheese. So avoid their cheese!

On the topic of stores charging more in Newry than further North, I too would be surprised. I've shopped in Belfast, Sprucefield and Newry and never noticed a difference in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Anyone knows what is the current exchange rate in asda?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,803 ✭✭✭✭muffler

devil-80 wrote: »
    Anyone knows what is the current exchange rate in asda?
    Was in the Strabane store earlier and £1 = €0.807.

Fairly generous as I seen the rate given at the end of the RTE news as being £1 = €0.79

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭kingshankly

hi lads from dundalk married a woman from newry just on to give a few dos and donts.dunnes is generally cheaper than sainsburys(excluding items on special its located on monaghan street where you can park for 30 pence an hour you also have curleys off licence and iceland each side of it you also have a jjb,argos,tk max aswell.you also have super value on the main pedestrian street which was and might still be offering £ for€ but parking can be tricky and its not as cheap as dunnes .sainsburys can have some amazing deals but the shelves are empty by lunch it out sells the top 5 selling stores in the uk combined(heard that from a staff member)if your going for lunch would recommend bellinis top of monaghan street fine food and very reasonable if when coming into newry and the queue is bad there is a fine grey stone bungalow on the left turn left there and follow the road till you meet a crossroads take a right it brings you down at the lights best value for changing money would be the bureau in the buttercrane shopping centre where you have a marks and spencers penneys and dunnes clothes plus many more including ann summers the market opens tuesday thursday and saturdays on hill street not really worth a visit to be honest anyone looking for fireworks there are a couple of shops on the old road.try and be there by 10 on saturdays doesnt open till one on sundays its even mad during the week hope this is off help happy shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

DonJose wrote: »
    "The Minister for Finance has said an increase in the number of people travelling North of the border to do their shopping had made things 'very, very difficult' when he was framing the Budget."
    What a muppet, why does he think people are going up north to shop. If he was anyway of a decent minister he would be asking questions here in the south as to why it's cheaper up north even after you change you euro to sterling. Look at the price differences between Dunnes (my local have stop diplaying sterling prices on tags, i wonder why :rolleyes:), Argos, Curry's etc..

Lower the cost of living here you clown of a finance minister, they have in the UK and their in the same boat we're in at the minute economic wise.

its shocking when you see the difference in the prices in dundalk we have 3 dunnes 2 tescos 1 superquinn 1 lidl 1 aldi(soon to be 2) and theres no one in them wonder why? i remember 7 or 8 years ago all the northerners coming down here to grocery shop due to strong pound and equal prices but prices in shops have spiraled since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

its shocking when you see the difference in the prices in dundalk we have 3 dunnes 2 tescos 1 superquinn 1 lidl 1 aldi(soon to be 2) and theres no one in them wonder why? i remember 7 or 8 years ago all the northerners coming down here to grocery shop due to strong pound and equal prices but prices in shops have spiraled since
    It's madness to think of the savings to be made with a 15 - 20 minute drive, things keep going the way they are even petrol will be cheaper up north soon.

I got an LCD TV a few weeks back in Currys up north for just under €1000, in Currys Dundalk the same TV was €1300. Some PS3 games going for £4.97 two weeks back in Currys in Newry, here in Currys Dundalk they were €30 - €60. Rip off Ireland !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ Lachlan Young Self-importance

Im heading up next week, purely to stock up on drink for a housewarming. Where would people reccomend? Sainsburys in Newry or a little further afield?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sainsburys in Newry or a little further afield?

No real need to go any further. It's not a massive off licence section in there, but they do have plenty of stock and regular offers (making it even more worthwhile!).

sainsburys is fine don't leave it too late to get down the drink aisle can be a bit hectic and hard to get a space by 11

sainsburys have 4 bottles of powerade for £2:89 buy 4 get 4 free works out at 8 bottles for €3:50 and it's €1:90 a bottle here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JDxtra wrote: »
    No real need to go any further. It's not a massive off licence section in there, but they do have plenty of stock and regular offers (making it even more worthwhile!).
    The better offers tend to be in Sprucefield and Belfast. Also the specials tend not to be totally gone by 11am. For the sake of an extra 30 mins drive the peace and quiet is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There is big off-license just across the river from Sainsburrys. Just go for a walk and compare prices in town :-)

esel wrote: »

Thanks, so I have to read all the posts in future. Sorry

esel wrote: »

Thanks, so I have to read all the posts in future. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

anyone looking for fireworks there are a couple of shops on the old road.try and be there by 10 on saturdays doesnt open till one on sundays its even mad during the week hope this is off help happy shopping

thanks for all your info

is jonesboro best for fireworks ?

Advertisement