Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Baylor I wonder could you let me know how you go as I'm on 48 too and have just signed up for lyca all Ireland for 12 euro ...did you sort the 13/14 digit issue?
    Thks
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭basillarkin

i am getting this on the port form, any ideas Invaild Msisdn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Baylor I wonder could you let me know how you go as I'm on 48 too and have just signed up for lyca all Ireland for 12 euro ...did you sort the 13/14 digit issue?
    Thks
    Paddy

See post 128 ;) Ported over bang on time, reception seems fine (I'm in Wexford) and i didn't need to change any settings for internet access.So all good so far

PS Baylor :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I have a teenager heading to Austria for a few weeks later in the summer. I was thinking about getting them a Three UK sim which has free roaming across most of Europe, but I'm thinking now that this might be a better option, with the roaming add-on. It would mean I could port their number from 48 to Lyca for a month or two, and port back to 48 (possibly getting another sign-up bonus!) afterwards.

Does this sound like it should work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If anyone can help.... I gave my notice to 3 (i'm on a 30 day rolling contract) to sign up for this offer. If i sign up now, can I port my number over immediately or do I have to wait until the end of my 3 contract in 30 days?

If you're on a 30-day contract. you are effectively out of contract, so you can port away at your convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

breathn wrote:
    TTL detection

Confirmed! Happy days!
    Will need to root second tablet though..😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

flintash wrote: »
    Confirmed! Happy days!
    Will need to root second tablet though..😕

What app are you using please ...not sure if you should make that public so please PM me if that's the case :)

I have a teenager heading to Austria for a few weeks later in the summer. I was thinking about getting them a Three UK sim which has free roaming across most of Europe, but I'm thinking now that this might be a better option, with the roaming add-on. It would mean I could port their number from 48 to Lyca for a month or two, and port back to 48 (possibly getting another sign-up bonus!) afterwards.

Does this sound like it should work?

Yes it should work.
    Data for Austria would be an extra €12 for 1GB (for 30 days I presume).
    Make sure you setup the APN for Austria in advance (search YouTube). Don't activate the APN on the phone until in Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I'm on 48 and I tend to travel around Europe a few times a year. I always need to buy a sim card from each country and top it up with data.

If I get one of these Lycamobile sim cards and only use it a few times a year, I wonder will it be seen as inactive and disabled by Lyca?

I have a dual sim phone, so would like to use this along with 48

• Advertisement

I'm on 48 and I tend to travel around Europe a few times a year. I always need to buy a sim card from each country and top it up with data.

If I get one of these Lycamobile sim cards and only use it a few times a year, I wonder will it be seen as inactive and disabled by Lyca?

A sim is not disabled after short non-use. IIRC if its not used/topped-up every 6 months, it may be disabled.

EDIT: With Lycamobile the non-use is shorter. This is from their FAQ.

"We automatically deactivate SIM cards if you do not use them to make a call or send a text for more than 90 days. Unfortunately these SIM cards cannot be reconnected and the mobile number also stops being available for you to use after this time".

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

biebiebie wrote: »
    Have been in Spain for the last 10days using the free roaming and a 1gb data bundle for 12. Speed is decent enough - getting about 4 to 5 Mb/s. Very impressed so far. Planning to port from TM when I get back.
    Did you have to change the APN for the data connection?
    Automatically received new internet settings which I accepted. However when I look at the APN settings they seem to be the same as home.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

A sim is not disabled after short non-use. IIRC if its not used/topped-up every 6 months, it may be disabled.

Ok thanks. I can top it up every few months to keep it active

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footballrusty

If you order the sim and €12 bundle from Lyca when do you start to pay the €12? Is it when you order or when you activate your sim?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why not just move fully over to Lyca, Lycas deals look much better value then 48?

If you order the sim and €12 bundle from Lyca when do you start to pay the €12? Is it when you order or when you activate your sim?

When you make the first call/send text.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks OP. Just ordered one there now :)

bk wrote: »
    Why not just move fully over to Lyca, Lycas deals look much better value then 48?
    I was thinking exactly the same thing bk

For anyone ordering a new sim.
    Use the code LYCA20 when ordering your Sim.
    I waited until my first bundle purchase and the code wouldn't work. I could only use LYCA10. So order the Sim along with the bundle of your choice and use the promo code then.

I've filled out the online complaint form as I believe that the LYCA20 advert on their website is misleading for new customers.

Bk - any way you can add this advice into post #1?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I waited until my first bundle purchase and the code wouldn't work. I could only use LYCA10. So order the Sim along with the bundle of your choice and use the promo code then.

I've filled out the online complaint form as I believe that the LYCA20 advert on their website is misleading for new customers.

I'm afraid I can't any more, you can't edit posts after a certain period of time.

Which is a real pain and something I feel should be changed specifically for the Bargain Alerts forum. I agree with you that the first post of an BA should be updated with the most important info. It can be a pain to read through a long thread to find important info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

September1 wrote: »
    I use Lycamobile for over a year and indeed network is great value. Let me share with you some observations.

1. Free Roaming is free, when I was in USA my calls were simply deducted from my national bundle and incoming was completely free. There was no data in USA and if you have no phone with US frequencies then range is not so good. In Europe roaming works very well, in some places internet is incredibly fast - you need to purchase a special data bundle for that.

That is superb value.
    I was in the US lately and got absolutely rode on calls.
    2 euro 50 a minute on calls and texts were ~50c ,using a dual sim phone with 48months and Three.
    2. You can have phone number from USA, UK, Poland or Romania added to your SIM card. In theory that is for time when you are roaming, so you get local number where you could be easily called, but I found it more useful when I'm in Ireland and Americans can call me without paying any international charges. Receiving those calls seems to be always free, but sometime you need to pay fiver to keep number.

So you get a US number linked to your Irish number is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Finally got my number ported from meteor to lycamobile this morning. Issue was that my number in the agents own words was a "fancy number " therefore they would not port it until I sent them photo id. Still don't understand the necessity for doing this but there you go.
    I have found their customer service to be fairly crude but am willing to tolerate this as it is a great deal that they are running and shouldn't have to contact them very often going forward(hopefully!).
    The only issue now is although I signed up to Ireland plus plan, it is only showing a balance of 80 mins. After each call today that balance reduced and reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I reported this post asking a mod to update the OP.

Not your ornery onager

Can someone confirm that unlimited national calls includes calls to mobile of any network and not just landline and lycamobile numbers. Cheers

irishchris wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that unlimited national calls includes calls to mobile of any network and not just landline and lycamobile numbers. Cheers

Yes, with a fair usage policy of 8000 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

I'm roaming in the USA at the moment, calls and texts are working.

They also assigned me a US number. It says this number expires in a couple of days and I have to renew it in order to keep it. Do I have to pay to keep it? How much does it cost to call other US numbers from that number? Trying to find information on their website is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Chris I thought the 15 euro deal was unlimited calls and texts and 20 GB data what that about your minutes?

NATLOR wrote: »
    Yes, with a fair usage policy of 8000 minutes

Is there anywhere in their site where it stays this as I'm having difficulty with their cs at the min and could do with it in writing

Chris I thought the 15 euro deal was unlimited calls and texts and 20 GB data what that about your minutes?

This is what appears after a mobile call today. I just wonder when free unit balance reduces to 0 will I be charged.

Duration: 0:34:44
    Cost: 0.0000
    Bundle name: Normal call
    Initial free unit balance: 85.0000
    Final free unit balance: 50

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    This is what appears after a mobile call today. I just wonder when free unit balance reduces to 0 will I be charged.

Duration: 0:34:44
    Cost: 0.0000
    Bundle name: Normal call
    Initial free unit balance: 85.0000
    Final free unit balance: 50

That doesnt look right my balance started at 8000 have you checked your account make sure you are on the right bundle?

BTW they cant charge you if you have no credit,the service just wont work

Advertisement