Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reacting vs Responding

• 30-10-2015 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

in everyday situations, are you the type to react or respond? if someone did something really bad on you, would you leave them an abusive voicemail/text or just accept they're no good and move on?

someone's trying to start a row with you, do you rise to it and lose the run of yourself or refuse to even entertain the whole thing?

when im pissed off ive been known to slam doors the odd time, storm out instead of staying and talking things through properly. im the type who wont start shouting, i'll just walk out. so im not the perfect ''response' type. its too easy to just snap and act on emotion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sit back and smile works every time ,
    Works even better on here actually when you see the desperate measures trolls go to just to get bit of attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I've been known to overreact at times, have to keep my emotions in check. Hassle, frustration and abuse best to ignore and walk away then jumping into an awful outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

Robsweezie wrote: »
    in everyday situations, are you the type to react or respond? if someone did something really bad on you, would you leave them an abusive voicemail/text or just accept they're no good and move on?

someone's trying to start a row with you, do you rise to it and lose the run of yourself or refuse to even entertain the whole thing?

when im pissed off ive been known to slam doors the odd time, storm out instead of staying and talking things through properly. im the type who wont start shouting, i'll just walk out. so im not the perfect ''response' type. its too easy to just snap and act on emotion.

I've been looking at this recently, I think it was bob proctor who said there is a minuscule window wherein you decide to be a reactor or a responder to a situation presented to you, but you can train yourself, or be trained either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Depends on the situation.

If it's something I care about, I'll react. If it's something I don't care about, I'll respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

What's the difference between reacting and responding ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A little from column A and a kittle from column B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Robsweezie wrote: »

It depends on whether it's me or my alter-ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

La Fenetre wrote: »
    What's the difference between reacting and responding ?

Erm reacting is more knee jerk thoughtless reply where responding is more considered.

So for example your question was reacting and my reply to you was responding :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

I prefer to reply rather than react or respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

colossus-x wrote: »
    Erm reacting is more knee jerk thoughtless reply where responding is more considered.

So for example your question was reacting and my reply to you was responding :D

My question . . . is just a question . . I think you've over-reacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

A little from column A and a kittle from column B

You miss-quoted there, it's a little from column A and a kitten from column B, because when you are making an argument, you always need a cute kitten to distract your opposers and hammer home your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I am trying to be better about but in the 'fight or flight' response, it is instinct to go into survival mode and attack. Had a customer who loves to argue about every little thing and was dismissive about the solutions and my explanation of the matter, start to hear my voice shake. Very hard to deal with people who just want to argue, working on it.:o

Advertisement