Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Heard admits to beating up Johnny Depp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Dave0301 wrote: »

This kind of thing is such a double standard. Just absolutely ignores all the allegations against Heard and presents her as the victim, despite there being a growing consensus that she was more than happy to abuse away herself. Like many, I think it took two to tango in this case, but if Depp is going to be labeled a wife beater due to her accusations, then she can own a similar tag given the current proceedings.

If/When his name is cleared, Depp should speak for men's domestic violence campaigns spreading awareness for men who have suffered domestic violence at the hands of a woman. All is fair.

Imho, from the tapes Iv listened too and from Heards deposition video I don't fully agree with it taking two to tango. There is far more going on with Heard than Depp, lies etc . It was a toxic marriage, both fond of their drink and drugs but when physical and psychological abuse in a marriage ever excepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If/When his name is cleared, Depp should speak for men's domestic violence campaigns spreading awareness for men who have suffered domestic violence at the hands of a woman. All is fair.

Yeah, Depp mightn't be the best spokesperson for cause given his very extensive drug use.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Yeah, Depp mightn't be the best spokesperson for cause given his very extensive drug use.

Yeah for drug abuse, his drug use doesn't really make him a 'wife-beater'. If/when it's proven that he has been a victim of Heard sh*Te, I don't see how his use of drugs impedes him from spreading awareness of domestic violence on men. It's not a drug seminar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭golfball37

Maybe a stupid question but why is she even giving evidence here? Is it not civil case between depp and the sun and no way would she be compelled to ?

Are the sun paying her

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭hynesie08

golfball37 wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but why is she even giving evidence here? Is it not civil case between depp and the sun and no way would she be compelled to ?

Are the sun paying her

The sun labelled him a wife beater, I'm guessing the easiest way to prove that's not libel is to have the wife he supposedly beat give evidence of his wife beating.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

golfball37 wrote: »

Are the sun paying her

She is a witness for The Sun. I heard earlier too that this is just round one as things are going to get even nastier when the two face off against each other I think sometime next year in a civil case. That’s when the real mud will sling. I’m already sick of hearing about the ins and outs of every row, this is going to drag on for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Depp has lost his libel case against the S*n.

Poor decision, doesn't reflect well on British justice system siding with a toilet rag. Depp would never have taken this matter to court if he was lying. Nor submitted over twenty hours of testimony. My two cents, you don't publicly call somebody a wife beater unless they've been convicted of domestic abuse. And Heard is no angel who comes across as a compulsive liar. If there is any consolation, her public standing has been damaged by unflattering testimony of a toxic aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No surprise and the correct decision. TBH it was never in doubt.

Libel is very difficult to prove and the only winner here is his lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

female bullying is now completely immune from consequence , the judge decided that the feminist lobby were too powerful to risk incurring the wrath of , even for a multi millionaire like Depp , justice is an unattainable goal

• Advertisement

They are both as bad as each other and he was a misguided fool for dragging this through the Courts. When you have that much of a coke and alcohol problem your memory ain't going to be that good. Even if he had won the crap that was dragged up painted nobody in a good light.

My impresison of Depp is the classic "Mr Nice But Dim".

My impresison of Depp is the classic "Mr Nice But Dim".

Yep, drugs'll do that to you alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,098 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    female bullying is now completely immune from consequence , the judge decided that the feminist lobby were too powerful to risk incurring the wrath of , even for a multi millionaire like Depp , justice is an unattainable goal

The paper called him a wife-beater. He sued for libel. They produced evidence that he beat his wife. It seems you have an issue that the truth is a defence to libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

He has to appeal to a higher court. The damage to his reputation from this ruling is too great.

I find it incredible the judge sided with everything Heard put forward. I think it's well understood by all at this stage that she's a complete psycho.

Ardent wrote: »
    He has to appeal to a higher court. The damage to his reputation from this ruling is too great.

I find it incredible the judge sided with everything Heard put forward. I think it's well understood by all at this stage that she's a complete psycho.

Yes she is a scheming and calculating so and so but that was not the issue before the Courts.

As mentioned above Depp was not able to refute any of the evidence put forward that he was physically violent toward her. It was clearly a very toxic relationship and she played him good and proper.

"Oh but she was just as bad" is not a good argument.

Both of them come out looking like twats. He is going to be even more broke. None of this is a surprise.

Ardent wrote: »

yeah and I dont get the "the are as bad as each other" . In work I found a lot of women making excuses for her and her behaviour, trying to rationalise it all. Its different when the woman is accused. Woman aren't capable of psychological and physical abuse

yeah and I dont get the "the are as bad as each other" . In work I found a lot of women making excuses for her and her behaviour, trying to rationalise it all. Its different when the woman is accused. Woman aren't capable of psychological and physical abuse

the case was about what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Poor decision, doesn't reflect well on British justice system siding with a toilet rag. Depp would never have taken this matter to court if he was lying. Nor submitted over twenty hours of testimony. My two cents, you don't publicly call somebody a wife beater unless they've been convicted of domestic abuse. And Heard is no angel who comes across as a compulsive liar. If there is any consolation, her public standing has been damaged by unflattering testimony of a toxic aggressor.

I’m not sure that’s true. If that was the thinking for defamation cases, why bother having a court case at all? And unless you are in his head, you can’t know what his motivation was.

Someone who hits their wife is a wife beater. The judgement was entirely correct. To say that he would never have taken the matter to court if he was lying is naíve in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

think it was newstalk, they were discussing it there on the radio and at the end they gave out the womens shelter number and nothing for the male equivelent...how not surprised i am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Someone who hits their wife is a wife beater. The judgement was entirely correct. To say that he would never have taken the matter to court if he was lying is naíve in the extreme.

Yes, my thoughts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If there is any consolation, her public standing has been damaged by unflattering testimony of a toxic aggressor.

Not a bit of it. Her public standing won't be affected in the slightest. Her gender means it (her transgressions) will never be brought up. Within a year she'll be back on American late-night and might even be asked about domestic violence and no doubt she'll have set up some foundation for other survivors by that time. I might even go as far as to say she'll be bigger box office than she was before.

Not a bit of it. Her public standing won't be affected in the slightest. Her gender means it (her transgressions) will never be brought up. Within a year she'll be back on American late-night and might even be asked about domestic violence and no doubt she'll have set up some foundation for other survivors by that time. I might even go as far as to say she'll be bigger box office than she was before.

Nah, she's also tainted because of the drug use etc. She's no longer snow white so I don't think her career will have the same trajectory although will probably be more successful than Johnny's career going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

A damn shame. The Sun are pure scum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nah, she's also tainted because of the drug use etc. She's no longer snow white so I don't think her career will have the same trajectory although will probably be more successful than Johnny's career going forward.

Well, she was never really box office (Aquaman maybe) and sure half of Hollywood are coked up. Look at someone like Downey Jnr for example, soon as he said he was in recovery, his career sky rocketed.

Hope you're right though as she deserves to take some hit for her behaviour but I just don't see it. Society will by and large see Depp as the aggressor now. The details tend to get lost and verdicts remembered in libel cases.

I agree with those saying he never should have taken it. He effectively asked himself a 'When did you stop beating your wife?' question in front of the whole world and it was a case he had to win to make sure he didn't do himself, and his career, more damage than had been done by the original article. Which I feel the case has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Bullshit. She shat on his bed. Whatever she does in the future, she'll always be Amber Turd. Nothing to do with gender. She's not talented enough to get away with such transgressions.

I see Depp is going to throw away more good money by appealing the verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I see Depp is going to throw away more good money by appealing the verdict.

I suppose there is a principle involved and he has more money than he knows what to do with. At least it will tie her up for the next few tears and ruin her career and standing too - which is probably as much revenge as he will get. By the time this finished she will be old to regain the kind of parts she’d like. Probably.

Problem is that there were two violent people in the relationship. She was more vicious and better it seems than he was. But he will be the bigger loser, because he is a man, sadly.

Can’t imagine having her over to a dinner party if that is how ahe behaves around pots & pans & vodka and knives. What kind of A list knackers are they.

A lot of damning info came out about her during the court case. Depp may well have taken the case knowing that would be a form of revenge.

• Advertisement

Can’t imagine having her over to a dinner party if that is how ahe behaves around pots & pans & vodka and knives.

Ah come on. Where's your sense of adventure. Surely you get turned on by having a bird sh1t in your bed. :D

Advertisement