Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homeopathy; the new wallet inspector.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012. Large lump in right breast. Doctors said she wasn't a candidate for surgery or radiation, no conventional treatment. Took homeopathy daily and acupuncture twice a week since 2012 lump vanished in 2014.

Correlation is not causation is the first thing worth learning there.

The second thing worth learning is that a certain % of people who get cancer, get better themselves. The % is low. But such people exist. Your mother, assuming the anecdote is true (which I never do on this forum, nothing personal) just happens to be one of that low % most likely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why do they even waste money running trials on such obvious nonsense?

If I claimed I could cure AIDS by singing Barry Manilow songs off key, would they throw 50 grand at a trial to see if I might be onto something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012. Large lump in right breast. Doctors said she wasn't a candidate for surgery or radiation, no conventional treatment. Took homeopathy daily and acupuncture twice a week since 2012 lump vanished in 2014.

I have metastatic breast cancer. I wasn’t a candidate for surgery because once it’s systemic, there’s no point. By that stage, the horse has bolted. But there is no way the doctor didn’t offer her any treatment unless maybe she was very elderly and they thought she was too infirm for chemo. Metastatic patients are almost always given palliative chemo, hormone therapy or immunotherapy to help relieve symptoms. That’s what I received and my breast lump shrank from taking over my entire breast to being imperceptible.

If your mother’s breast lump shrank or disappeared, it was either benign or whatever conventional medicine she was given shrank it.

Many metastatic patients live 5-10 years now with all the new treatments coming on-stream. Being diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer six years ago and still being here now is not unusual these days. My performance status on diagnosis was terrible and I wasn’t expected to live past six months. I’m coming up on the three year anniversary of my diagnosis shortly. All thanks to the chemotherapy and hormone treatments I’ve received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Why do they even waste money running trials on such obvious nonsense?

If I claimed I could cure AIDS by singing Barry Manilow songs off key, would they throw 50 grand at a trial to see if I might be onto something?

Yes.

That HRI crowd fund a project called "Sherr Tanzania" that seems to have spent about that much over the last few years......
    ....... providing financial and academic support for a study assessing the effectiveness of homeopathy as an addition to usual care for patients with HIV/AIDS.

.....no doubt any improvement in outcomes will be put down to the homeopathic element of any treatment regime :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My great uncle was a homeopath. I don't actually believe it can do a whole lot but, I was massively allergic to strawberries and kiwis as a kid. My whole lower lip would swell up, and then crack, and I would be in pain for weeks after eating one.

My great uncle gave me a course of tablets to to dissolve under my tongue for a few weeks. They tasted like strawberries, so I assume had low levels of whatever I was reacting to in them. I never had another reaction again.

Now the rational part of my mind says kids grow out of allergies, and it's not a treatment course I would ever choose myself, (I'll take tried and tested conventional treatments thanks!) but it always makes me stop short of completely jumping on the they are all quacks and con artists bandwagon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

TG1 wrote: »
    My great uncle was a homeopath. I don't actually believe it can do a whole lot but, I was massively allergic to strawberries and kiwis as a kid. My whole lower lip would swell up, and then crack, and I would be in pain for weeks after eating one.

My great uncle gave me a course of tablets to to dissolve under my tongue for a few weeks. They tasted like strawberries, so I assume had low levels of whatever I was reacting to in them. I never had another reaction again.

Now the rational part of my mind says kids grow out of allergies, and it's not a treatment course I would ever choose myself, (I'll take tried and tested conventional treatments thanks!) but it always makes me stop short of completely jumping on the they are all quacks and con artists bandwagon...
    There is evidence that exposing someone to tiny levels of allergens can help their immune system recognise that it is not a threat. I know they've done it with peanut allergies; one speck of peanut flour one week, two specks the next, and so on until a tolerance is built up.

This isn't homeopathy. Homeopathy would be if what he gave you was one drop of strawberry juice diluted in a globe of water the size of the solar system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

TG1 wrote: »

I'm happy to withdraw my "charlatans" accusation as soon as someone posts up a properly researched and written paper that shows a homeopathic treatment is efficacious.....

......not an anecdote, or a piece from a news paper, but a properly researched, cogently written paper that unambiguously concludes a genuinely homeopatic treatment cures an ailment, with that conclusion supported by objective evidence.

Or put it this way, if "big pharma" came out and said some goo they found down the back of one their machines was their latest treatment for some disease, they'd never be allowed push it as such without truckloads of data to back it up - why should homeopathic treatments be subject to a lesser level of scrutiny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/97587045/headless-chickens-frontman-grant-fell-says-hes-beaten-cancer

Here is a New Zealand musician saying in October that he had beaten cancer by changing his diet. He died this month. Now, according to the article, he seemed to be working with doctors too but the reason I’m highlighting the article is to show that claims you read online about people “beating” cancer using alternative methods are frequently untrustworthy. Look up the people making the claims and you’ll often find that they have since passed on. This unfortunate guy made the claim with no basis and he was actually going to write a book about his miraculous recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

Im glad to hear that your mother is better however if you think it was the homeopathic juice that fixed her you are mistaken. Does your mother eat bread regularly? It was just as likely the bread cured it. Also, any contribution you may see from the juice can only be attributed to the placebo effect. However because literally anything can impart a placebo if presented and administered appropriately, you shouldn't give the juice any more respect than the bread. Now, I'm off for a sandwich to sort out this crotch rot.

Advertisement