Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kind Gestures Are They A Dying Trait In Irish Society?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Candie wrote: »
    I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope you're coping better now. :)

I'm sorry that happened you too, it's hurtful when friends turn out to be less than we expect. She might be one of those people who are helpless when called on to express sympathy and that maybe she regrets not being there for you. Of course, she may just be selfish, but there are people who are scared of anothers grief - though it doesn't excuse her. At least you learn who your true friends are when tragedy strikes.

Well said indeed. Some people find it difficult to express their feelings in certain situations such as the ops. I find myself in the same situation sometimes especially when offering my condolences to a friend or neighbour. It's an awkward sisuation to be in because you just don't know what to say. I suppose all you can say is I'm here if you need to talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Lovely story and the main problem nowadays was explained to me by my late grandfather. He was from a small village down the country & had said that people are just as bad & just as good as they've always been, but the ease at which information & news is published exacerbates the negative & positives aren't typically publicised.

Back when there was a few main newspapers and the 6 o'clock news, there was a very finite amount of bad news we could get, now we get it on facebook, boards, the journal, Irish & global news outlets. The bad stuff generates clicks so we're seeing more of it.

Now that's not an all encompassing answer, but there is logic there. There's obviously a drugs problem that hadn't previously been there, increasing wealth divides. But we definitely have more access to depressing information than ever, I've got to the point where I try to focus on the business pages, avoiding crime etc. Try to do my bit to help elderly people with bags & generally try to have more of a positive social impact than a negative one day-to-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

Candie wrote: »
    I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope you're coping better now. :)

I'm sorry that happened you too, it's hurtful when friends turn out to be less than we expect. She might be one of those people who are helpless when called on to express sympathy and that maybe she regrets not being there for you. Of course, she may just be selfish, but there are people who are scared of anothers grief - though it doesn't excuse her. At least you learn who your true friends are when tragedy strikes.

You're so right. After that I learnt I have very few good friends but I also learnt that maybe I didn't do enough for people when they needed me.

Life is a learning curve but if I saw someone crying out for help, I would do my best to help them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Funny, the age thing. In Poland, I found young people very friendly, but the older generation were sour.
    Think about the very different circumstance each generation grew up with in Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's gone because most people are out for what they'll get now, so if you give them an inch of kindness they'll want to take you for all they can get out of you. Don't show weakness.

Vicious circle then. Kindness and defensiveness are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Lovely story and the main problem nowadays was explained to me by my late grandfather. He was from a small village down the country & had said that people are just as bad & just as good as they've always been, but the ease at which information & news is published exacerbates the negative & positives aren't typically publicised.

Back when there was a few main newspapers and the 6 o'clock news, there was a very finite amount of bad news we could get, now we get it on facebook, boards, the journal, Irish & global news outlets. The bad stuff generates clicks so we're seeing more of it.

Now that's not an all encompassing answer, but there is logic there. There's obviously a drugs problem that hadn't previously been there, increasing wealth divides. But we definitely have more access to depressing information than ever, I've got to the point where I try to focus on the business pages, avoiding crime etc. Try to do my bit to help elderly people with bags & generally try to have more of a positive social impact than a negative one day-to-day.

Cracking post. As regards the headbangers we see online - they were always there, it's just you had to go into the bar of your local crap boozer years ago to hear their ramblings... now, ya just have to look at your phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

The people who go out of their way to appear to be charitable and kind are often the biggest ***** imaginable.

It is amazing how many of them show up on my facebook feed with their Darkness into Light bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Patww79 wrote: »

That's an unfortunate view to take of the world. I'm sure it's coloured by experience so I'm sorry that's how you've learned to look at things.

It is entirely possible to be kind but also firm and no-one's idiot. The people I look up to in life do it very well. Their default is to treat everyone with compassion, respect and kindness. If someone seeks to take advantage, they turn their backs and walk away. You'll always get chancers in life, but to let it turn you into someone bitter and closed to the world is not the way to deal with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's darkness into light?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What's darkness into light?

It's a run/walk that's normally on in early May for a charity called Pieta House. It's on at 4:15 am. It started in Dublin about a decade ago now and it's done in lots of towns in Ireland now even abroad.
    Don't get me wrong lots of good/nice people do it but some aren't that nice.

http://dil.pieta.ie/comingsoon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

natashaob6 wrote: »
    He did stop and the young asked if he had the change of fifty euro as he didn't have the proper amount of money for the fair.
    Sounds like a scam. A guy tried it on a bus in Rathmines yesterday for a €2 fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Victor wrote: »
    Sounds like a scam. A guy tried it on a bus in Rathmines yesterday for a €2 fare.

I can't think of a place where if you were trying to pay a 2 euro ride with a 50 that you wouldn't be told to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What you throw out into the cosmos comes back ten fold I find

I do work for small charities the non CEO on 100K ones and I don't charge them , dont even want a mention because I would consider it just another form of advertising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I hope gestures of kindness are not dying out.
    I dont want to live in a society that's cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think a lot of the nastiness is online, where people can feel free to rant about this and that in a way that would have their teeth removed if they said it face to face. Or maybe it's the other way round. It's not that online comments bring out the nasty, its that people are nasty and unpleasant beneath the friendliness that society requires them to display and the internet has just brought it out for all to see.
    Just look at YouTube comments, it really shows the very nasty side of people when they think they can hide behind online anonymity.
    Or any other discussion board, the hateful and the crazy have found each other and they are now locked into their echo chambers where they hear nothing but confirmation of their beliefs.
    And I mean all sides with that. Too many to list. But it's everyone.

Well said.
    I think the Internet has shown what the average person really is like is this world.

Advertisement