Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commonly believed historical inaccuracies

• 04-01-2021 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I've often read that Padraig Pearse read the Proclamation "from the steps of the GPO." This always bugged me as I've walked past the building many times and there are no steps there. Images from 1916 show the same.

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things but I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on similar inaccuracies.

Another example is when people quote Marx's statement that religion is "the opium of the people" to give the impression that religion kept people sedated&oppressed. The quote in context reveals a more sympathetic view of religion:

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world,
    and the soul of soulless conditions.
    It is the opium of the people."

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,976 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the british cut down our lovely woodlands to build their navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Never heard this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Notoldorwise

"Being born in a stable does not make one a horse". A quote falsely claimed to have been uttered by the Duke of Wellington

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Vikings wore horned helmets - a great deal has been achieved in dispelling this one but not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Never heard this one.

It was regularly trotted out when I was at school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The whole moon landing fairy tale filmed by Stanley Kubrick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

That Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Wrong. They did it mainly for defence. When queen Elizabeth sent over a plantation the locals kept attacking and retreated to the forests. They decided if they could cut down the trees, they wouldnt have anywhere to hid and the British could finally catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

"Being born in a stable does not make one a horse". A quote falsely claimed to have been uttered by the Duke of Wellington

A lot of such quotes were actually from O'Connell, "to hell or to Connaught " being another.

That Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

> conspiracy theories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

At the Battle of Waterloo the Prussians turned up near the end when it had already been won.

In WW2 it took five Sherman tanks to kill a Panther or Tiger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Bellejelles

If you look at old photo of gpo there's a step from street just in front of pillers he probably stood under pillers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That the Irish Civil War was about the north of Ireland.

Never heard this one.

Blindboy threw this line out on his podcast a few episodes back.

He's one of (maybe #1) the top streamed podcasts in the country, so...yea that line is still out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Columbus 'discovered' America.

He wasn't even the first European to do it. Generations of Vikings and possibly St Brendan and others were there before him.

Magellan was first to circumnavigate the globe. It was a Malay called Enrique who did it: https://www.history.com/news/was-magellan-the-first-person-to-circumnavigate-the-globe

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ElJaguar

2 famous quotes

The Voltaire quote about freedom of speech "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

He never said it.

Also Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms (1521) "Here I stand. I can do no other."

There is no evidence he ever said it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,976 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Wrong. They did it mainly for defence. When queen Elizabeth sent over a plantation the locals kept attacking and retreated to the forests. They decided if they could cut down the trees, they wouldnt have anywhere to hid and the British could finally catch them.
    still untrue. the greatest pressures probably came from land clearance for agriculture, firewood and charcoal, pit props, barrel staves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

still untrue. the greatest pressures probably came from land clearance for agriculture, firewood and charcoal, pit props, barrel staves etc.

Well most of Munster was destroyed using scorched earth tactics by the British. I would guess I am more right than wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Notmything

Napoleon was a short arse.

The Irish were conscripted as cannon fodder in WWI. Well those in England were, but there was no conscription here.

These two were favourites of a college lecturer. I was studying social care so it was a stretch to see how they were relevant to the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Notmything wrote: »

The Irish were conscripted as cannon fodder in WWI. Well those in England were, but there was no conscription here.

These two were favourites of a college lecturer. I was studying social care so it was a stretch to see how they were relevant to the course.
    Was this in Cork by any chance? If so, I know exactly who you're talking about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

The Irish were conscripted as cannon fodder in WWI.Well those in England were, but there was no conscription here.

Thought this is widely known.

Bassfish wrote: »
    Was this in Cork by any chance? If so, I know exactly who you're talking about :D

No, in Carlow.
    Mimon wrote: »
    Thought this is widely known.

Ive heard it a few times, although its usually in relation to what those dastardly Brits did to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Hitler had only 1 ball

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Irish are a Celtic race (genetically)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

The American Civil War was fought to end slavery

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Irish are a Celtic race (genetically)

The Irish are a stew of genes, same as any race.

milehip wrote: »
    The American Civil War was fought to end slavery

Oh go on, enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

US and Russia are enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Oh go on, enlighten me
    if genuine not flame it was to "avoid paying TAX".
    the brits ruled and collected taxes which other european blow ins decided
    they would not.
    the "founding fathers" are in reality criminal tax dodgers whom started an armed
    attack on the powers that be to avoid their duties - bit like take up weapons against
    the irish government because you see them as corrupt thieves. todays label is
    Terrorist.

Advertisement