Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

• 06-11-2019 12:31pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Will this be the last thread on this topic...? I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Could be the thread I finally get FTTH.

Best thread everrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

1st off topic post of the new thread: Anyone know how to get PXE booting working on a network with a Fritzbox 7530 as the DHCP server?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    1st off topic post of the new thread: Anyone know how to get PXE booting working on a network with a Fritzbox 7530 as the DHCP server?

By disabling the DHCP server on the Fritz!box and using a different box on the network for DHCP, that supports PXE booting.

The Fritz!Box has no possibility to add the optional information for PXE booting.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir's rural FTTH rollout must be heading into it's final stages by now. Are there any areas still not started?

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir's rural FTTH rollout must be heading into it's final stages by now. Are there any areas still not started?

Plenty ... one example: Fanore, Co. Clare. No dates yet. No indication either. But there are lots more like that.

/M

• Advertisement

Here are a few more:

Dowra, Cavan
    Castlepark / Burnfort, Cork
    Moneybeg, Donegal
    Glencorrib, Mayo
    Killala, Mayo
    Louisbourgh, Mayo
    Terryglass, Tipp
    Dromineer, Tipp

Fun fact: Moneybeg, Donegal is listed as enabled on the fibrerollout map (houses are green), when in fact, they're not enabled yet nor have a go live date.

And that list is only a subset, of what's still outstanding.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

OpenEir saying ducting issues to be finalised on Nov 23rd... we wait in hope...6 months waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Headshot wrote: »
    Could be the thread I finally get FTTH.

Best thread everrrrrrr

I feel your pain. I had to wait till almost the end of the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Did anyone else have an outage with Airwire? Lasted for about 50min.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

cnocbui wrote: »
    Did anyone else have an outage with Airwire? Lasted for about 50min.

We were doing a few emergency security firmware upgrades on our routers in Dublin. This should not really have affected any customers, but did not go as smooth as we expected.

The problems have now been rectified and everything is back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭BuzzG

Somewhat off topic but has anyone ordered FTTH from Vodafone over the Openeir FTTH network. I ordered with them on October 30th and was due a call this week to arrange the install but nothing. Anyone know the typical timeframe for an install of FTTH or have experience of getting it with Vodafone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

Hi all,
    I ordered FTTH in August. I’m about 250 metres from the DP. An engineer arrived to do the install. However it was a failed install. There are a lot of trees that my current copper line threads through. My next correspondence was that they would have this resolved by 30/11. So yesterday I call them to see if I needed to book time off. During my conversation, he said that my issue was a ducting/underground cabling issue. So I asked him to clear this up as there are none of these at my home. It’s all provided via telegraph pole . After some investigation, he said that open Eir are going to put in ducting rather that have the trees pruned and cut down.

Is this a thing? I’ve not heard of it before. Also the last leg from the pole goes through the biggest tree. Will they install a duct right to my home?
    Thanks

I haven't heard of them installing ducting on people's property before. It sounds rather doubtful. Usually it's the home owners responsibility to install ducting to where the line would arrive at on their property. If the trees are on your property it would be an idea to prune them to make a clear path for a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Eir is using KN people to install or unblock ducts, I had to pay 300 euro for them to unblock mine so they can bring the fiber from the pole in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Richieq wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I ordered FTTH in August. I’m about 250 metres from the DP. An engineer arrived to do the install. However it was a failed install. There are a lot of trees that my current copper line threads through. My next correspondence was that they would have this resolved by 30/11. So yesterday I call them to see if I needed to book time off. During my conversation, he said that my issue was a ducting/underground cabling issue. So I asked him to clear this up as there are none of these at my home. It’s all provided via telegraph pole . After some investigation, he said that open Eir are going to put in ducting rather that have the trees pruned and cut down.

Is this a thing? I’ve not heard of it before. Also the last leg from the pole goes through the biggest tree. Will they install a duct right to my home?
    Thanks

They will likely bring it underground to the boundary of your property, either to an underground access chamber which you would have to duct to, or to a pole with the installation overhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Eir is using KN people to install or unblock ducts, I had to pay 300 euro for them to unblock mine so they can bring the fiber from the pole in the house.

Did you pay for KN to do the work or the installer to do is as a nixer?
    Sounds like you got lucky as they can be very picky about what nixers they take on.
    That said it's your property so your choice, you may have found someone to do it cheaper if you got quotes form as many different sources as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

There’s already infrastructure there to get the line in, they just need to trim the trees. I don’t understand why I’d have to get someone in to build 20 metres of suction? Also, if I have to get work done, would it not make sense to let me know.

There’s already infrastructure there to get the line in, they just need to trim the trees. I don’t understand why I’d have to get someone in to build 20 metres of suction? Also, if I have to get work done, would it not make sense to let me know.

Perhaps the trees are a more difficult job than you think or they could not get permission. The cable is safer underground anyway, you're less likely to have breakages during storms.

If they are putting in a pole at your boundary or there's already a suitable pole close you are not going to need to do any work.

...apart from arranging ducting to said pole.

Yes, the cable is safer undrground, but it's above ground for many km before it gets to my pole where it then travels 'safely' underground for all of 12m. :-)

I had to wait several months for a faulty distribution point to be replaced. While waiting they woud not tell me that was the problem, only that there was issues with the line.
    The work they want to do before you gets service sounds much more complicated.

• Advertisement

...apart from arranging ducting to said pole.

Yes, the cable is safer undrground, but it's above ground for many km before it gets to my pole where it then travels 'safely' underground for all of 12m. :-)

Not necessarily. They may do an overhead installation from the pole.

Those cables look way more durable than drop lines that go into the house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

tuxy wrote: »
    Did you pay for KN to do the work or the installer to do is as a nixer?
    Sounds like you got lucky as they can be very picky about what nixers they take on.
    That said it's your property so your choice, you may have found someone to do it cheaper if you got quotes form as many different sources as possible.

I paid Eir as it was them who organised everything, after a million phonecalls, but that's a story for another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's the new modem they're supplying with their fibre now? Is it actually a new one or a Malibu F2000 with a new hat?

j0Iw4XD.jpg

JohnC. wrote: »
    What's the new modem they're supplying with their fibre now? Is it actually a new one or a Malibu F2000 with a new hat?

j0Iw4XD.jpg

It's new and from a different company, not Huawei.
    It's re-branded and uses a different outer case but has the internal electronics from a French company that I've forgot the name of. I don't think we have figured out which re-branded model it is yet.

I heard that modem can't be bridged, is that correct?

Where did you hear that? I'd be interested to know what model that router is so I can find out more about it.
    The guys on here are not great for such info as most have ditched Eir by now :)

It's new and from a different company, not Huawei.
    It's re-branded and uses a different outer case but has the internal electronics from a French company that I've forgot the name of. I don't think we have figured out which re-branded model it is yet.

Sagemcom

https://www.sagemcom.com

Assuming what you say is correct, why would you need bridging on a FTTH connection?

Where did you hear that? I'd be interested to know what model that router is so I can find out more about it.
    The guys on here are not great for such info as most have ditched Eir by now :)

I work for an I.T company and we've heard whispers that the modem cannot be bridged but unsure is it true or not.

I think it's the same modem they are going to use with FTTC
    Sagemcom

https://www.sagemcom.com

Assuming what you say is correct, why would you need bridging on a FTTH connection?

I bridge all my modems as I want my firewall to do all the routing. I want my network behind a strict firewall which will have all my NAT rules and firewall rules.

• Advertisement

I work for an I.T company and we've heard whispers that the modem cannot be bridged but unsure is it true or not.

I think it's the same modem they are going to use with FTTC

I bridge all my modems as I want my firewall to do all the routing. I want my network behind a strict firewall which will have all my NAT rules and firewall rules.

Just connect the firewall machine directly to the ONT. Once it can do VLAN tagging on WAN you don't need the eir router at all.

Advertisement