Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Make sure you put the phrase (planning) in the description as it indicates a revisit will be required by a mapper in future.

Ah yeah, I'll make sure to update them as they come up.

ok so there one right around the corner from my house whats the number i call for a free upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

ok so there one right around the corner from my house whats the number i call for a free upgrade

They will inform you when your area goes live. There is an expression of interest form on the E-Fibre website:

http://www.eircom.net/efibre/form/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I think some people have put in old style boxes as points
    For example the one in donnycarney looks old

Coolock CLK Donnycarney Cabinet
    VDSL Cabinet located on Elm Road

312vcpl.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    I think some people have put in old style boxes as points For example the one in donnycarney looks old

The new unit can be 20-30m away from the old one it is tied to...behind a hedge or around a corner. Are you absolutely sure there is no VDSL cab nearby????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

The new unit can be 20-30m away from the old one it is tied to...behind a hedge or around a corner. Are you absolutely sure there is no VDSL cab nearby????

This is the case for the VDSL cabinet at Whitethorn Park, Drogheda. The old cabinet is hidden in the bushes across the main road (totally separate from the estate).

Our mappers are hunters in many cases. However most cabs are beside cable cabs buts sometimes space is tight on a pavement, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

red_bairn wrote: »
    This is the case for the VDSL cabinet at Whitethorn Park, Drogheda. The old cabinet is hidden in the bushes across the main road (totally separate from the estate).
    That example is different as the cabinet in question was of the old style like the one photographed on Elm Road in Donnycarney, Dublin (above) and had a standard green "high security" cabinet installed before the VDSL2 cabinet was installed nearby. All the cabinets in Drogheda have had new "high security" replacement cabinets installed before VDSL2 cabinets were installed alongside.

Would I be right in saying this applies nationally or does the donnycarney example show older cabinets with VDSL2 fitted alongside?

Also, I'm not sure but I don't think Whitethorn park is even served by DBC 027. I think it's served by DBC 012 beside the petrol station.

Also, I'm not sure but I don't think Whitethorn park is even served by DBC 027. I think it's served by DBC 012 beside the petrol station.

DBC 027 is inside Whitethorn Park. I'm confused at what you are trying to say above.

red_bairn wrote: »
    DBC 027 is inside Whitethorn Park. I'm confused at what you are trying to say above.
    The VDSL2 cabinet is, the original copper-only cabinet was and is located on the old N1 for many years before Whitethorn park was built. I'm also pretty sure that a second copper high-security cabinet was built beside McCabe's garage (at the time) when Whitethorn Park was built. I think DBC 012 serves Whitethorn Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I just added 3 more onto the map for the Belcamp exchange. I've a feeling there are many more to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

Added some cabs around kilbarrack and baldoyle that have notices on them, will update them when work starts, still have my eye on some of the cabs in sutton and howth that should have notices on them soon.

Just added another in Belcamp exchange area, also I renamed the majority of the Belcamp markers to the more established naming scheme. Belcamp - BLP - Location

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Our mappers are hunters in many cases. However most cabs are beside cable cabs buts sometimes space is tight on a pavement, etc.

Im off hunting tomorrow around , Newbridge ,

Is there a way to easily map from my mobile (ios)

Im off hunting tomorrow around , Newbridge ,

Is there a way to easily map from my mobile (ios)

A laptop tethered to phone is handy. Or gps tagged photos on your phone (one of my tags came up in the Philippines though) :) . Or paper / pen write location notes for yourself & then add onto the map later.

If we had an appthat would add to the map automatically from a gps tagged photo, that would be the business. But it's hardly worth the effort :)

Praetorian wrote: »
    A laptop tethered to phone is handy. Or gps tagged photos on your phone (one of my tags came up in the Philippines though) :) . Or paper / pen write location notes for yourself & then add onto the map later.

If we had an appthat would add to the map automatically from a gps tagged photo, that would be the business. But it's hardly worth the effort :)

Or this...
    Nobody in Tralee has mapped a sausage yet, any chance you can help then???

Use Yahoo maps if you must.

http://maps.yahoo.com/

Double click in to the precise spot where cab is and copy the entire link up top in a post here. Giz as many as you have. Looks like so.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#lat=53.27077935440895&lon=-9.072936773300171&zoom=19&mvt=m&trf=0

And I'll do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

One added to Oranhill Oranmore, that's 4 now in Oranmore, there's probably a few more as well

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200976005490800150654.0004d6a674e6be3826dcb&msa=0&ll=53.256597,-8.92629&spn=0.002038,0.006539

As we get further into this you will notice the Add a cab map is now on page 5 nearly 6

Exchanges end up grouped for clarity and EG Arklow is on page 1 and Shantalla on Page 2 and Drogheda on page 3 of the map.

So here is how to drop in a cab for an exchange with lots of cabs already.

1. First go to the page in the editable map containing 'your exchange'
    2. Click edit. Add the cabs
    3. They will be down at the bottom of that page. Click on them and drag them up to the right place and drop them there.

As long as you move them off the bottom of the page BEFORE you click DONE they will stay on the right page.

If you simply add cabs and press done they are automatically shoved in at the very end and have to be dragged around the place afterwards. It works but it creates work.

Many thanks. smile.png

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It is connected to Midleton. Could someone check Glanmire as I would expect that is showning Cabinets too and surely Carrigaline and Cobh have more cabinets than the few mapped so far. :)

I think have seen 2 but uncertain they are only about 500 metres apart

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think have seen 2 but uncertain they are only about 500 metres apart

That would be right. They are often strung along a main road in suburbia at close intervals feeding estates off the road. Once you spot one for sure they appear everywhere. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

I'll have a scout around Glanmire tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Praetorian wrote: »

Pity this wasn't started in openstreetmaps. Plenty of (mobile) editing apps for that. (But whatever works for the majority - I accept in crowd sourcing projects ease of access/use takes priority)

KAGY wrote: »
    Pity this wasn't started in openstreetmaps. Plenty of (mobile) editing apps for that. (But whatever works for the majority - I accept in crowd sourcing projects ease of access/use takes priority)

My preference would be OSM but OSM tagging/rendering for Telecommmunications= objects is grossly underdeveloped and the data in this exercise (bar 2 exchanges PPK and DDM ) is entirely crowdsourced using the simplest methods possible and in a manner that is entirely compliant with OSM rules.

Now if OSM will sort out their recent Tag standard excursion into telecoms we will have a database ready for a single ingest into OSM at any time. :)

If anybody wants to look at HOW GOOD OSM is they should look at Galway and Ennis nowadays and remember that these maps were done mainly by Boardsies in their spare time, especially guys like Dacor and Mackerski but that is also because Galway and Ennis have the high resolution aerial pictures since 2012 and Bray - Dublin - Dundalk ( and the Pale) does not have them yet ...but they are imminent. OSM , therefore, is thin on data from the border to Bray where we have mapped a lot of stuff. In other words we have no streets in OSM for these areas and we cannot mark cabinets beside them anyway.

Having said that if someone want me to take a job lot of POIs from OSMtracker in Android that is not a problem at all, I can quickly mark up in a spreadsheet and inject into a kml en bloc from there.

And Yes. This data is all headed for OSM once OSM sort their end out and provide a better telecommunications= marking environment like they do for building= and power= and Roads= categories and once the base mapping along the east coast is complete as I expect by end 2013.

I'll personally make sure it the data correctly provenanced and ingest ready and I will take this up with Dacor and Mackerski quite soon. But we need more data first. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Gonna go hunting again today, take a walk out the Ennis Road area and see what i spot, pretty sure there are a load out that way + will take pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I'll have a scout around Glanmire tomorrow.

Was around Glanmire (by school upto small shopping center) and I didnt see any. Was in Cobh last night and didnt spot any there either (saying that I couldn't see any of the older type cab's either :)

Seen one this morning on the ballincurra road from the midelton roundabout will mark it later.

I'm amazed at the lack of cabinets to be found in the Docklands area of Dublin (the Grand Canal Dock end of things). I didn't see a single cabinet in the area between the Liffey, Macken St., Pearse St. and Grand Canal Dock itself. I checked out pretty much every street around Benson St. and Misery Hill etc. I saw a couple of generic grey cabinets which may have been used for traffic signals or security cameras or UPC for all I know. There weren't even that many eircom manholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Found another couple. The first has been there a while I just forgot to send it on. The second one has appeared in the last week.

Clonee
    53.392019,-6.432313 Annaly Terrace

Blanchardstown
    53.395185,-6.400238 Sheepmoor (at side of 1 Sheepmoor Ave)

I'm amazed at the lack of cabinets to be found in the Docklands area of Dublin (the Grand Canal Dock end of things). I didn't see a single cabinet in the area between the Liffey, Macken St., Pearse St. and Grand Canal Dock itself.

Must be underground so. Or else they are largely inside apartment complexes where the rain and vandals are not such a problem.

There are no cabs east of/along the canal in the Adelaide Road area so please don't waste your valuable time with the outer reaches of D2 .....not this year. :)

Must be underground so. Or else they are largely inside apartment complexes where the rain and vandals are not such a problem.

There are no cabs east of/along the canal in the Adelaide Road area so please don't waste your valuable time with the outer reaches of D2 .....not this year. :)
    It'll take me quite a long time to get to that part of Dublin. The nearest I'd ever be to Adelaide Road would be Stephen's Green! I can probably check out some of the Beggars Bush area (Ringsend for instance) so will keep the thread updated on that.

I'm presuming the cabs are in apartment blocks? If they were underground I'd expect to see more manholes than are actually visible. Maybe anyone who knows what the story is with Crown Alley could send a PM or let everyone know on the thread.

• Advertisement

Crown Alley and Dame Court near the castle has most of the government comms so the cable cabinets would be 'more secure' in that area. I'd expect them to be indoors or in foot tunnels. :)

Advertisement