Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

chewed wrote: »
    OK thanks. I'll check this out, but the router is brand new and the Cat6 cables are also new. I wonder is it the port on my laptop? I do find when I put an ehternet cable into it, I have to use a pen to get it out as it gets stuck.
    Observe contact pins on both devices ports- could be bent.
    New router is good...., still doesn't guaranty no fault/misconfig.

Note:
    1. your laptop with Gig card only gets 100
    2. Shield with Gig card gets 100

sound like cable or router or intermediary device(switch, if used)

Do tester on cable/ use different cable

reboot router
    try different port on router
    try another Gig capable device on router

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

1Gbps Digiweb via Siro

8a926baa-b0d4-40f7-9dae-1982ece5e926.png

After 6 or so weeks on 3's 4G (which actually wasn't bad), I finally have true internet access once more as of about an hour ago.

Many thanks to Digiweb and the rep here on Boards for getting me online as quick as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

z0oT wrote: »
    1Gbps Digiweb via Siro

After 6 or so weeks on 3's 4G (which actually wasn't bad), I finally have true internet access once more as of about an hour ago.

Many thanks to Digiweb and the rep here on Boards for getting me online as quick as they did.

Nice! What are you using to test that speed? I'm with Digiweb on 1GB but can barely get above 200.

It would have been done on my Desktop which connects through a short ethernet cable into an ethernet switch, and then into my router directly from there via another cable.

My desktop runs Windows 10, and my server which runs Debian gets similar speeds. My router is actually a self built one rather than an off the shelf one - essentially a low power PC running IPFire.

You really should be getting more than 200Mbps if you're using wired ethernet everywhere with 1Gbps capable hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

It would have been done on my Desktop which connects through a short ethernet cable into an ethernet switch, and then into my router directly from there via another cable.

My desktop runs Windows 10, and my server which runs Debian gets similar speeds. My router is actually a self built one rather than an off the shelf one - essentially a low power PC running IPFire.

You really should be getting more than 200Mbps if you're using wired ethernet everywhere with 1Gbps capable hardware.

Actually just tested there again with my Nvidia Shield. I was getting around 450 down. That's the fastest I've got in a long time. It's usually around 200 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1Gbps Digiweb via Siro

your upload is more than 100 megs, where you on this plan before?

Gonzo wrote: »
    your upload is more than 100 megs, where you on this plan before?
    I haven't ever had a Siro connection before today.

Subsequent tests seem to have the upload at 100Mbps again.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

I recently got Vodafone 500 mbps Gigabit broadband plan. (Actually, I got it yesterday) Its through SIRO.
    However, when I check my speeds they seem to be rather low?

The weird thing is, I also have Vodafone TV package, and everything plays perfectly as well as my games and other streaming
    services. Is the speed measurement accurate, or am I reading this incorrectly?

Let me know what you think? I was told I have a smart modem...could this affect the result?

Weird, embedded images are not showing...so I will just leave the link here:

https://imgur.com/a/khGfqnv

I am in Gorey

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Eir 5g speedtest on Harcourt Street

6609774011.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭CoBo55

bob11 wrote: »

6609774011.png

Wow!! First test to crack the 1,000 barrier. You must have a good phone.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Wow!! First test to crack the 1,000 barrier. You must have a good phone.

P40 Pro , Great speeds

P40 Pro , Great speeds

Sure are!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

6609774011.png

whats the data cap on that? It couldn't be 80 gigs per month could it? would get used up in seconds.

Gonzo wrote: »
    whats the data cap on that? It couldn't be 80 gigs per month could it? would get used up in seconds.

It's "no limits".
    I think it is fair usage of 160 gb, but haven't had any issues yet..

It's "no limits".
    I think it is fair usage of 160 gb, but haven't had any issues yet..

the no limits still has limits!

Eir's Fair usage policy for 5g plans.
    Should your data usage exceed 120GB in a 28 day period and eir Mobile considers that other users are likely to be adversely affected; we reserve the right to limit the data speed. eir Mobile continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by the Customer is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods).

This will still allow customers to use social media websites such as Instagram, Facebook and Whatsapp, but streaming services will become slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tiamat666

10308785955.png

Vodafone VDSL. 500 meters from the cab.

I used to get 45Mbps and 10ms~ ping back in 2016. I was told by an engineer that more houses were added to the cabinet, so this is all I can get now even though line checkers tell me I can get 40/10. I really hope Starlink will be available soon enough.

Tiamat666 wrote: »
    10308785955.png

Vodafone VDSL. 500 meters from the cab.

I used to get 45Mbps and 10ms~ ping back in 2016. I was told by an engineer that more houses were added to the cabinet, so this is all I can get now even though line checkers tell me I can get 40/10. I really hope Starlink will be available soon enough.

I'm 600m from the cabinet and got 65/15 steady as a rock with both VF and eir, I was on an 80/20 profile. I'm with VM now so it doesn't matter to me anymore. Have you got a TV package with VF?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tiamat666

I'm 600m from the cabinet and got 65/15 steady as a rock with both VF and eir, I was on an 80/20 profile. I'm with VM now so it doesn't matter to me anymore. Have you got a TV package with VF?

No TV package, just broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

I signed up for Vodafone FTTH Gigabit in August. I’ve yet to get anywhere near the guaranteed 90% minimum. I mostly get around 400Mbps. I hit 500 or 600 one or twice but that’s it. Upload nails the high 90s every time.
    A KN/Circit engineer has been out twice. Fibre tested fine. Replaced router and got the same speeds. He reckons it’s on Vodafone’s backend. I’d agree. Two of their own techs got between 300 and 40p when they carried out remote speed tests.
    Vodafone are just going around in circles at this stage. I keep getting asked to do speed tests and if I have cat 6 cables which I do.
    I have a case open with ComReg now. Let’s see where that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kopfile1

con71 wrote: »
    I signed up for Vodafone FTTH Gigabit in August. I’ve yet to get anywhere near the guaranteed 90% minimum. I mostly get around 400Mbps. I hit 500 or 600 one or twice but that’s it. Upload nails the high 90s every time.
    A KN/Circit engineer has been out twice. Fibre tested fine. Replaced router and got the same speeds. He reckons it’s on Vodafone’s backend. I’d agree. Two of their own techs got between 300 and 40p when they carried out remote speed tests.
    Vodafone are just going around in circles at this stage. I keep getting asked to do speed tests and if I have cat 6 cables which I do.
    I have a case open with ComReg now. Let’s see where that goes.

I'm on 1000mb/s great in the day but come 6pm -11pm down to 10mb/s. Going on now for the late 2 weeks. Interested to know how you get on. I want out of my contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

I ended up going to ComReg. They said I needed to escalate and give them 10 days. At 12 days I’d heard nothing back from Vodafone. They pretty much said leave it with us. Yesterday, which was the day after ComReg’s response, Vodafone called me to see if they could see if they could get to the bottom of this issue 😂.
    They remote tested the line speed and got 340Mbps. Now they’re going back to their engineers and Eir to see what to do.
    Won’t hold my breath but I’ll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kopfile1

con71 wrote: »
    I ended up going to ComReg. They said I needed to escalate and give them 10 days. At 12 days I’d heard nothing back from Vodafone. They pretty much said leave it with us. Yesterday, which was the day after ComReg’s response, Vodafone called me to see if they could see if they could get to the bottom of this issue 😂.
    They remote tested the line speed and got 340Mbps. Now they’re going back to their engineers and Eir to see what to do.
    Won’t hold my breath but I’ll let you know how it goes.
    They're throttling us. Simple.
    I'm thinking of just cancelling my direct debit. Let them bring me to court I have evidence screen shots ping tests to show the judge. I'll ring them again in Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Right, can anyone help before I pop a vein with frustration.

My laptop is on the right. His is on the left. HOW can there be such a difference in speeds? I nearly fired the thing out the window this morning. I've updated ESET Antivirus and it's still the same. (Actually this morning it was much worse)

https://ibb.co/g7CRx7T

https://ibb.co/Mf0fD5R

PS. I don't know how to insert the images directly in here either. FML.

Right, can anyone help before I pop a vein with frustration.

My laptop is on the right. His is on the left. HOW can there be such a difference in speeds? I nearly fired the thing out the window this morning. I've updated ESET Antivirus and it's still the same. (Actually this morning it was much worse)

https://ibb.co/g7CRx7T

https://ibb.co/8YXDgwR

PS. I don't know how to insert the images directly in here either. FML.

A bit of background would help. What provider are you with? Does the good laptop have av? If you're running W10 you really don't need a third party AV.

A bit of background would help. What provider are you with? Does the good laptop have av? If you're running W10 you really don't need a third party AV.

It's Vodafone. I have no idea what AV is :confused: Oh wait - is it antivirus? Yes I have ESET. Already paid for another while. Am I on W10? I don't know! This laptop is about 2/3 years old. His is new.

It's Vodafone. I have no idea what AV is :confused: Oh wait - is it antivirus? Yes I have ESET. Already paid for another while. Am I on W10? I don't know! This laptop is about 2/3 years old. His is new.
    Not convinced AV would do this much impact, but you can temp disable and test.
    Are both on same WiFi ? 2.4 vs 5 GHz
    Machines make/model would help to determine if NIC's similar specs. WiFi4 vs WiFi5 vs WiFi6

Not convinced AV would do this much impact, but you can temp disable and test.
    Are both on same WiFi ? 2.4 vs 5 GHz
    Machines make/model would help to determine if NIC's similar specs. WiFi4 vs WiFi5 vs WiFi6

Mine is a hp laptop 14 bs0xx
    His is Lenovo ideapad 3 14"

Mine is a hp laptop 14 bs0xx
    His is Lenovo ideapad 3 14"
    Lenovo ideapad 3 14 - IEEE 802.11ax, marketed as Wi-Fi 6
    HP Notebook - 14-bs058na - 802.11b/g/n (1x1) Wi-Fi® :eek:
    verify your specific model on HP site

No intend to insult but what BS stand for :D

• Advertisement

Lenovo ideapad 3 14 - IEEE 802.11ax, marketed as Wi-Fi 6
    HP Notebook - 14-bs058na - 802.11b/g/n (1x1) Wi-Fi® :eek:
    verify your specific model on HP site

No intend to insult but what BS stand for :D

Haha I'll accept that - but, I only use it for typing/watching videos but I'm using it for remote teaching ATM and there have been a few times where stuff has not uploaded for me and I've had to re-record, or I tried to watch a webinar this morning and it was being an arse yet he was streaming a different webinar fine :/

Advertisement