Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am at the stage where I could not be bothered to take what ever offer they make. Am sick of the relentless price increases year on year. It's poor form by VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I am at the stage where I could not be bothered to take what ever offer they make. Am sick of the relentless price increases year on year. It's poor form by VM.

Siro says available at my address soon so I am going stick to current deal with VM as I am out of contract and then switch to siro sharpish when it is available. VM taking the piss with there year in year out price increases, same goes for Sky sick of them too and I am back 6 months and they already upping my price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

The price rise suited me. Was leaving them in any case and would have cost me 280 to break contract

They offered me 15 off my broadband to keep me onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

What is your current usage like ?

Anything above 10 mbps is sufficient for online streaming....but if you are heavy user with multiple devices then its a different thing.

I would assume 40 is more than sufficient to be honest !

Thanks. Not a heavy user by any means. But we do from time to time stream movies online.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

scamalert wrote: »
    40mb would be about 5-3mb download speed. while if using wired connection it would seem more then enough but if theres latency or some heavy usage it would trickle down to hardware- router nics, signal strength. as single torrent or heavy download/ stream could choke internet for rest of the users, where it becomes pain to even browse.

Em, that sounds like a bit of an issue. We don't really have many options in the area so looks like we'll have to stick with VM. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

pat1981 wrote:
    Fair usage policy, yes but it’s throttled thereafter and speeds according to the salesman are reduced to about 150.

Be wary of what a salesman tells you. Read the small print in cae you're hit with unexpected charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Siro says available at my address soon so I am going stick to current deal with VM as I am out of contract and then switch to siro sharpish when it is available:

Where can you see the Siro availability or likely roll out date for your address?

Similar to tart29016 below I was all set to cancel VM and move to Vodafone. Before canceling tried the Vodafone site for broadband coverage and it was only showing 24Mbps for an urban area of Dublin 15 so got onto their helpdesk to confirm the poor service. They advised they only saw 12Mbps available and had no information as to when Siro might be rolled out. Couldn't explain the poor speeds either.
    Can't switch given those pathetic speeds, would get better on mobile data. Will check with a few neighbours to see if anyone is not on VM and what sort of speeds they're getting before cancelling.
    tart29016 wrote: »
    Em, that sounds like a bit of an issue. We don't really have many options in the area so looks like we'll have to stick with VM. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

called to break the contract & they offered me half price & a speed bump to remain, suits me.

Interestingly, I found an NTL/Chorus big the other day from November 2009 (I really need to buy a shredder) & I was paying €76 a month for TV only, with no HD.

Fast forward 10 years & it's €85 a month for 100 channels including HD, phone & all calls & 360mb broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Where can you see the Siro availability or likely roll out date for your address?
    siro.ie you can sign up for newsletter on updates. but seems they are slow going works began in my estate last year around August, in December they sent out letter coming soon think it got active around april, almost year later, in total. Still works going around town as lots of old places footpaths being doug up to roll over fiber cables in place. Only reason didnt go with siro this year as its still fresh in area dont think anyone has it, in my estate and most sites are setup poorly no info whatsoever to get you as customer, as asked about installation process etc and basically until you pay and get engineer sent, its hard to know how far your from cabinet where they will wire in etc. Plus for siro one would really want to update all their network and wifi cards to full AC or whatever next gen is, as speeds on vodafone top out easily over 300mb over wifi.

other option for those stuck would seem sky not sure of their BB only pricing but if VM has cable think sky should be active in those areas as well, if not mistaken, but not sure of their service quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

Be wary of what a salesman tells you. Read the small print in cae you're hit with unexpected charges.

Yes good point, I rang vodafone re my order and asked this question again and he confirmed there would be no extra charges if I used more than 1tb per month although the speeds would be throttled to about 150.

The call is recorded so I am happy enough with that explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

tart29016 wrote:
    Thanks. Not a heavy user by any means. But we do from time to time stream movies online.

40 Mbps is more than enough to watch Netflix in 1080p or stream movie online..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Called up to see would they increase my speed for free. It was a no go. Currently on 240mb at 29.50 for 9 months.

How did you go about getting this? I'm not sure if there are other providers available to us as we live in a old apartment block (Dublin 3). I'm not happy about paying their current price and this is the second increase since we got Virgin but there aren't many equal alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Does this price increase affect all customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

deisedevil wrote: »
    Does this price increase affect all customers?
    Yes it does.They do it every year.What if you call them to cancel hoping to get a price decrease and the VM guy says "ok,I'll cancel that for you".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

jozi wrote: »
    How did you go about getting this? I'm not sure if there are other providers available to us as we live in a old apartment block (Dublin 3). I'm not happy about paying their current price and this is the second increase since we got Virgin but there aren't many equal alternatives

I rang up and told them I was leaving for Sky. They made the offer straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I might ring them after I find out if we can get Vodafone in our apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Hi, i’’m confused if anyone can help with advice. I have chance to break VM contract but dont know what options to move to. VM is only high-speed option available, for some reason relatively new estate but eir/vodafone/sky broadband not.
    We dont watch TV, its kids on netflix and 2 mobiles which have free days anyway. looked at Wifi usage and monthly average about 250downloaded?
    We are in a 4G area, what solution would be best if i choose another provider? sorry i dont know much!!
    Thanks if anyone can help

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

readysetgo wrote: »
    Hi, i’’m confused if anyone can help with advice. I have chance to break VM contract but dont know what options to move to. VM is only high-speed option available, for some reason relatively new estate but eir/vodafone/sky broadband not.
    We dont watch TV, its kids on netflix and 2 mobiles which have free days anyway. looked at Wifi usage and monthly average about 250downloaded?
    We are in a 4G area, what solution would be best if i choose another provider? sorry i dont know much!!
    Thanks if anyone can help

A quick look and i can get mobile 4G broadband with a router:
    Vodafone €40 a month for 300GB
    Three €30 a month unlimited

Would speeds be ok? 3 have 3 huawei router to choose just to confuse me more!! B525/5573/5577.
    Are the Routers important or all the same? dunno what router vodafone have.

I can see why people dont bother switching!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

todolist wrote: »
    Yes it does.They do it every year.What if you call them to cancel hoping to get a price decrease and the VM guy says "ok,I'll cancel that for you".

I talked to them earlier. They said it doesn't affect my offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

deisedevil wrote: »
    I talked to them earlier. They said it doesn't affect my offer?
    was told the same increase wont affect me, but id been hit for couple years now, so time will show, if they will honor that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

what offers is everyone getting? best I have been offered by virgin is full house 500mb for 84e a month for 9 months and 99 for last 3

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

So are those that have moved over to Vodaphone happy so far? I'm going to pull the trigger this week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Heiser wrote: »
    So are those that have moved over to Vodaphone happy so far? I'm going to pull the trigger this week

Some feedback from users on this thread ... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111631646#post111631646

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Got bumped to 500mb package with 6 months half price, so I'm happy with that as can't get Sky in my area, so will stick with them another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Got offered 76 eur for 12 months, with same 240 Mbps speed, TV and landline (which we don't use)

I'm still a bit weary of switching to Vodafone, in terms of speed, is 90 mb enough for us? Mobile use, rarely use laptop, regular Netflix viewing. Siro isn't available in the area too. And with TV, there's about 160 eur difference vs Virgin, but it's the speed that's bothering me (also my wife thinks Vodafone is extremely slow from talks with friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I’m on €60.00 a month for broadband only (240mb) with Virgin Media but I’m thinking about going with the Sky deal (sky q, 100mb broadband and netflix) for €59.00 a month for 12 months.

Anyone have any other recommendations? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

pc7 wrote: »
    Got bumped to 500mb package with 6 months half price, so I'm happy with that as can't get Sky in my area, so will stick with them another year.

how much for 6 months and remaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Just for everyone's benefit

1) Ordered vodafone online. Got text confirming order and saying when router will be delivered.
    2) Router was delivered in couple of days.
    3) Got a call for engineer visit once the router was delivered. Did not need it TBH as i was up and running post installing it myself.
    4) Setup 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz separately

Impressed so far with the professionalism of vodafone and quick turnaround. I am having mobile connection with them as well so good to have a single sign-on for everything.

Hope they offer Siro soon in my area !

did you check available speedsbefore signing up?

On the eir website, it says i can only get 14mb download speed, even though neighbours 4 houses down can get 100mb.

Am hoping its a mistake, otherwise i'm stuck with virgin until SIRO comes to tallaght

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

4real wrote: »
    how much for 6 months and remaining?

€49.50 then €99, currently paying €94 for 250mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

did you check available speedsbefore signing up?

Yes I ordered after checking...sky strangely told me I can get 12 mbps only which was wrong apparently

Advertisement