Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastric Banding anyone? Mod Note: No Clinic Names

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adcol

My hubbie is getting a band done next friday and I am provisionally booked in. My BMI is only 32 but I've lost 3 stone on weight watchers but cant do it any more. Had lipo done a few years ago so if i had done nothing I'd easily be >35 BMI. Is there anyone else out there who has had it done with a <35 BMI. Also after reading the entire post I'm now getting very worried about travelling to belgium to get it done but I know they definatley wont do it here for me cause my BMI is too low. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pig2twig

Yo guys :D
    Had my consultation with the Belgiums and have booked in for 15th January, provisionally. So I start me two week low fat eating programme just after Christmas (just like every other Christmas so...)
    I found Freederick lovely to deal with and like you Adcol, my BMI is not massive (36) but I need some help in this journey of mine. He explained that he was happy to do it for lighter people as long as they have a decent grounds for it - in my case, my mother and grandfather died of bowel cancer and I hold all my weight around my middle (CANCERTASTIC).
    Mick how are you getting on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adcol

my weight is all around the middle to, waist size of 42 inches which is way above what it should be. What should I ask when I talk to the surgeon. My husband has been doing all the chatting so far, he is >40 BMI so he's a definate for it. How or where can I go to check out the surgeon (PM if need be) pre-op. We have no waiting list, just booked ourselves in for friday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

hi y'all
    i'm 2 years post banding ......had the op in Dublin after little or no research. My prob with food, was a chocolate addiction :rolleyes: I had been on a 2yr waiting list for Loughlinstown , and ironically , i got an appointment a week after i shelled out 10k for my band !!! In any case , i did lose weight........about 5st , but i still have a way to go :rolleyes: In any case , my advice to anyone thinking of wls , is to do the research, and be sure its the right course of action for you. .....and most importantly of all , agree an after care package !!! Your eating patterns are changed , but the bad stuff still goes down :(
    good luck !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KatieBlueEyes

i getting a gastric band in england at the end of feb. i havent a clue what to bring with me. :confused:the hospital gave me a list of stuff but would prefer if someone who has gone through it could tell me?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...i havent a clue what to bring with me. :confused:

I would say that here:
    the hospital gave me a list of stuff ..
    would be a good place to start!

I would say that here:

would be a good place to start!

oh how funny u are. wish i had time 2 waste 2 look thru d internet looking 4 people 2 b sarcastic 2

oh how funny u are. wish i had time 2 waste 2 look thru d internet looking 4 people 2 b sarcastic 2

I apologise for being sarcastic,...

Edit: I have removed the remainder of my own response here, as even I think it may have been a little too...uncharitable, shall we say.

I apologise for being sarcastic,...

Edit: I have removed the remainder of my own response here, as even I think it may have been a little too...uncharitable, shall we say.

oh how considerate of u. and having looked back at my question I properly do agree with u but I am blonde so maybe you can understand:D BUT if u saw the list u would see its very vague AND having looked at other peoples list of stuff they have brought to hospital they are very different from the 1 I got!!!
    argument over & hope i never hear from u again
    bye x

oh how considerate of u. and having looked back at my question I properly do agree with u but I am blonde so maybe you can understand:D BUT if u saw the list u would see its very vague AND having looked at other peoples list of stuff they have brought to hospital they are very different from the 1 I got!!!
    bye x

I've apologised and withdrawn a comment that I made.
    What more would you like?

Fair enough the list may be vague. Sorry; anyone that can give the poster a decent answer, please, don't let my comment stop you.

• Advertisement

I've apologised and withdrawn a comment that I made.
    What more would you like?

Fair enough the list may be vague. Sorry; anyone that can give the poster a decent answer, please, don't let my comment stop you.

What do u mean, WHAT MORE WOULD YOU LIKE, I never asked u 4 anything!!
    and it doesnt matter if u withdrew your comment, u still made it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lucygotago

Hi Guys

I am looking in to having Gastric Banding surgey at the moment in cork, i wonder has anybody had the surgey in either Galway or Cork with any feed back, also wonder in regards to insurnace cover (Q Healthcare) would anybody know if they cover any of it or will it be a real battle with them to help me out as i dont have 11-15k.

Look forward to hearing any reply's

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bye x

Katie - chill out. If you've a problem with a post, report it and the mods will take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 luckyl

hi all.

i too am considering having a gasteric band fitted. i've struggled with my weight for as far back as i can remember. i'm not 30 years old and i need to do this to get some quality of life with my family.

i'm looking for infotmation from people who;s had the band fitted, how they feel after it, was it successful etc...

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Hi all. I need help! I am 18 years old, nearly 19 and I weigh 320lbs. I have a BMI of 51.6 and my health is already suffering. Could anyone please reply to me with the steps I need in order to start the process of having surgery? May seem a bit drastic at my age but I have been trying to lose weight since I was 8. Its been a lifelong struggle, that may sound ridiculous coming from someone so young, but its true. Also could anyone tell me, is a referral letter from a GP needed if the surgery was to take place somewhere abroad? Like is Brussels as was mentioned?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emnge

hi all,
    i've my gastric band 3 years in may it started out well and like every other attempt at losing weight i was really going along with it i lost 2 and a half stone in the first 5months ideally my dream final target was 8 and a half i've since put back on 2 stone since gave up going along with it 2 years ago because unfortunatly like the majority of overweight people im a comfort eater and do this because its easier to comfort myself with food than deal with the real issues of why i feel down in the first place and in my head this could take years of counselling or therapy but realistically my over eating has been going on for more years than i care to remember they go so fast!! im 26 and cant believe i have my band nearly 3 years i just want to tell people this because i know i rushed into the decision of getting mine done, the company which went bankcrupt 6 months after i had mine done were more than happy to take 10000euro from me for this op with no real evaluation of my reasons for being this overweight the aftercare wasnt great i was being told i was getting fills when i wasnt and i know the band stops you from eating a lot but even when i was full i still felt hungry so had ways of cheating the band and by the way you still crave fatty food and can still eat it so its no quick fix by any means you have to work just as hard but everyone is different so really think before you hand over all that money are you ready??? im thinking of giving mine a second shot after all i am still paying for it but dont know of any places to get mine filled so anyone with any info please let me know??in dublin preferably.. cheers and well done to everyone who has had great success and best of luck to those who are waiting;)

Is there anyone out there that's had the Gastric Banding done in Galway? I am looking for advice and information from people that's had it done and how they've got on after having it done? I'm seriously considering having it done.

Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Purplebetty

Just wondering Dumpling how much you have lost since your operation if you dont mind me asking... I am 5ft and weigh 13 stone... i did weigh 17.5 stone, lost eight... but put some back on... trying to try a last resort,...

thanks

dumpling wrote: »
    well, things changed for me quite abit. I went in for surgery on the 20th may and, just as iIwas going down, my surgeon came to me and said that he want's me to have the Gastric bypass:eek:

I thought no! i have spent two years researching the band. He also mentioned that the band can slip, your body may not take to it and so on. So, he convinced me to have the bypass. The first two weeks were hell. no pain, just feeling so, down and weak. By the time the third week came round i felt alot better. Today and this week, great!

In addition, i have lost 10 kilos 22lbs I can't believe it!

If you want to make life long changes i would say go for it. really, there was no pain, it was all emotional.

inaddition, you can't eat the same way, there isn't the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seat32

Hi everyone. I'm 2 days post-op lap-band and feeling good now the gas pains have passed. I've been a serial dieter all my life and have 6 stone to lose. I don't know how many times I've said "this is it, I'm going to lose this weight" - I tend to give up and revert to bad habits if I don't lose or even gain weight - and I know the band will be the push I need on those days. I know it's not going to be easy! Just wanted to pass on this tip to anyone considering the op: search YouTube for "wls" - there are loads of vlogs there of people who have had it done and their experiences - both good & bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi i am booked if for a procedure gastric bypass in april,Im type 2 diabetic have severe back pain and have fertility problems.I am fully aware of pro's and con' of these operations /surgery but in my personal case im after doing my upmost best to research as much as i could and after that im really happy with my decision,Ill let ye know how I get on ,by the way I can fully understand people not getting and getting their sopport from family and friends I personally have told only 2 people because its my body my choice regards....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ciwi 04

Hi all

Iv been reading all your comments and it seems most ppl have gone for banding. I met the surgeon today and he suggested the by-pass. I think Im going to go for it but I would love to hear from others who have had the procedure. Feel free to tell me all the gorey details :)

Thanks a mill
    Ciwi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emalith

i'm quite new to type on here and i would also love to know if i can get a gastric band done on medical card here..i know if i was a uk citizen i could get it done on the nhs for free...i went thru a rough patch and fell into a vicious circle of comfort eating when my hubby left and now i have reached my limits and would love to be able to have it done.

i am not a lazy person i am quite active and i am sick of the look and stares from people..i'm a 23 stone female and am tired of it all and am admiting i need help i cant do it on my own any more when it comes to weight loss i have lost 5 stone as it is and it just wont go any further:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mizz.R.Able

Hi yes it is possible to get it on the medical card here but you have to go through a weight management programme first out in St Colmcilles hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lucy_lou

Hi everyone, I am 6 months post banding & am doing well. I have always battled with my weight most of my life. I have 4 of about the 8 stones I need to loose off but like the other posters here have said it takes hard work & is by no means easy - you have to be really committed to make changes in all aspects your life & your attitude towards yourself! A really important factor for me was quality of the after care & follow up. I have to say the team at the hospital where I went are excellent & I firmly believe that having regular local follow-up appointments has been one of the keys to my success so far. I has a gastric balloon inserted a couple of years ago overseas & to say it was a complete and utter waste of money is an understatment (I actually put on weight with it!)

Best of good luck to everyone - allthough when you think about it luck doesn't really come into it, JUST DO IT - YOU ARE WORTH IT! :D

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping to have a gastric sleeve procedure in June/July this year. I'm in the middle of the pre op tests at the moment and all is going well so far. (touch wood)!! I'm hoping to get my surgery date in the next few weeks. I started out at 24st and i'm down to 22st 7lb at the moment. I've to loose another 7lbs before my op but i'm getting there. I'm wondering if there is any one out there whos had the gastric sleeve and if so i'd love to hear how you felt post op and how your doing now.

Take care.
    LL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ISTEELE

Have you considered Hypnoband same thing without the surgery fraction of the cost and no hospital stay.http://no links allowed- thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I've just started to seriously look into this procedure, above everything else money will be a key factor! From the messages I've read people seem to quote anywhere from €4000 - €12,000.

Can someone PM me with the details of the Belgium clinic/hospital. I've contacted VHI and I'm waiting for a response (a general query about coverage) and one Dublin clinic.... again, I'm really just looking at the financial side right now!

Oh... and has anyone actually managed to get coverage from VHI?

Thanks x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bigmix

neelyohara wrote: »
    I've just started to seriously look into this procedure, above everything else money will be a key factor! From the messages I've read people seem to quote anywhere from €4000 - €12,000.

Can someone PM me with the details of the Belgium clinic/hospital. I've contacted VHI and I'm waiting for a response (a general query about coverage) and one Dublin clinic.... again, I'm really just looking at the financial side right now!

Oh... and has anyone actually managed to get coverage from VHI?

Thanks x
    Hi, The person u need 2 contact about the surgery in belgium is Frederik Sernels email: <frederik.serneels@ecfs.be>.. I had it done in November and am very happy with it (down over 4 stone) i dont know about vhi but i got most of it paid for by Quinnhealth uder thier medical Tourism Policy, The surgeon has a clinic the 1st thursday of every month in Dublin and has started the 1st friday of every month in cork, if u contact Frederik he'll give u all the info, best of luck,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seat32

Here's the response I got from VHI when I asked if Gastric Banding is covered...

I would like to advise that the placement of adjustable gastric restrictive device, procedure code 182, can be eligible when the following conditions are met;

• BMI is currently and has been for at least two years greater than 45.
    • Patients must have received management in a non-surgical obesity programme with integrated components of a dietary regime, appropriate exercise and behavioral modification and support for a minimum of 6 months with 2 years of the proposed surgery.
    • The surgery is only payable in hospitals listed with Vhi Healthcare directory of hospitals, and where Vhi Healthcare has approved the multi-disciplinary programme for the treatment of obesity.
    • Gastric restrictive or bypass procedures will only be eligible for the benefit for well informed and motivated members with acceptable operative risks. Individuals must be over 18.
    • Evidence must be provided that all appropriated and available non-surgical measures have been adequately tried but the member has failed to maintain the weight loss.
    • Patients who are candidate for the procedure must be evaluated by a multi-disciplinary team with medical, surgical, psychological and nutritional expertise.
    • Lifelong medical surveillance after the therapy is a necessity.

I have included a few on the main conditions required for this surgery, however our medical team required more in-depth conditions to be met.

Should you wish to avail of this a pre-certification form must be submitted by your consultant to our board of medical directors and a decision will be made based on the information provided.

Here are 2 sites with some useful info on Gastric Banding...
    http://www.ukgastricband.co.uk/
    http://www.lapbandtalk.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

It's always good to share info, so this is what I received from VHI:
    Thank you for contacting Vhi Healthcare. I would like to apologise for the delay in our response.

I note from our records that you are currently insured on First Plan Plus Level 2. On joining VHI Healthcare you had a 5 year waiting period for pre-existing conditions. This waiting period will cease on <snip>.

Any condition or symptoms of this condition that your consultant deems was present prior to joining VHI Healthcare will not be covered until after this date.

The Gastric procedures are listed in our schedule of benefits as procedure codes 178/179/181 or 182. These procedures require prior approval from our medical department and can be carried out in one of our approved hospitals or treatment centres.

Your Consultant has access to the terms and conditions of these procedures and must submit a report to our medical department for prior approval. The medical review team will assess the medical necessity of this procedure based on the information provided and contact you with a decision.

However this procedure is not available to members on our lifestage choices and are restricted to members on Plans A-E and options:
    http://www.vhi.ie/info/core.jsp

If you change your cover and you receive treatment during the following two years* for a medical condition which, in the opinion of our medical director, you already had prior to the date of change, we will only pay the benefits of the lower plan.

*Five years for those aged 65 years or over, or 52 weeks for maternity or pregnancy related conditions.

When determining whether a medical condition pre-exists a policy upgrade it is important to note that it is the date of onset of the condition that is considered rather than the date upon which the member becomes aware of the condition,as medical conditions may be present for some time before giving rise to symptoms or being diagnosed.

As with all insurance companies, Terms and Conditions apply. Please refer to your Rules Booklet.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Note the bold. I like how they started by stating my policy type then near the end, after sending a long and complicated email, they tell me my policy isn't covered! :pac:

In my case it's not a matter of getting cover, it's trying to find the best package/medical team and the most competitive price.

Advertisement